InterContinental Bangkok Master Thread [merged]

Old Jan 22, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by scubaccr
You knew it was an obvious mistake rate when booking (every IC BKK room was open on points ! ) and you rolled the dice and took your chance knowing that hotel can and may reset you to the correct entry level room.

I see no reason to assume that every good price that you see for something, whether it's a TV, hotel room, mars bar, is an error just because it's a very good price.
Have you not heard of flash sales or special offers ?

Do you never buy anything at a price lower than you have seen it before incase the seller later contacts you after you've bought & paid to say sorry you have to give back that 32" TV you bought and take this 24" one instead because that was supposed to be the price of the 24" one.

It's not acceptable.
Especially after several months !!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:31 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
The shower water temperature in my room was temperamental. It would stay warm for 20 seconds or so, then cold water would kick in for 5 seconds. Engineering was called to fix it, but not successful.
I had this same exact shower problem at the Pullman Khon Kaen and the Marriott Marquis Queen's Park, but not at the IC BKK. At the Marriott it was fixed as soon as it was reported. The Pullman was a different story altogether, after several trip by "the engineer" it was never fixed by the time we checked out 4 nights later!!!

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
The second thing problem for me is their pillows. While the mattress and sheets are divine, the goose down pillows have no support whatsoever. I don't remember seeing a pillow menu in-room, but that would be a smart thing to do. Breakfast (comped as Plat Ambassador) option was nice.
I called the operator and asked for a firm pillow, they asked which one on the pillow menu! Told them it was not on the menu and repeated my request asking this time for a sack of rice for a pillow!!! Lo & behold, 10 minutes later 2 firm pillows were delivered to our room!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
Hi Everyone

Does anybody know what the upgrade charge to club lounge costs for Ambassador for IC Bkk? Reason i ask is i called the hotel and they told me the price was 3500Thb for one night as ambassador . I thought this was little high. So i called back in the evening and was told 2100thb for the upgrade as a ambassador. Im using a free night from IHG credit card..

Thanks all
Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:02 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by robnc35
Hi Everyone

Does anybody know what the upgrade charge to club lounge costs for Ambassador for IC Bkk? Reason i ask is i called the hotel and they told me the price was 3500Thb for one night as ambassador . I thought this was little high. So i called back in the evening and was told 2100thb for the upgrade as a ambassador. Im using a free night from IHG credit card..

Thanks all
Last April they charged me 2000thb at check in I had booked an executive room expecting to be upgraded to club + benefits as I had in the past (I was not aware of the changes at the time) 3500 seems a bit high perhaps the rate for non members.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:09 am

2000 baht i would do for sure but 3500 baht i think is a bit high as well
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:48 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Hi Everyone

Thanks all
Was charged $100++ (THB 3,200++) per night for a suite upgrade which included Club IC access. For a total of 2 nights (January 13 & 14), the charge to the IHG CC all in was:

Jan 14, 2018 INTERCONTINENTAL BANGKOK Sale $235.85.

We also used one free night and the 2nd night was P+C. You will probably check in at the IHG desk in the lobby. Just ask them then for the upgrade and they will tell you the actual rate.

Last edited by Kalboz; Jan 31, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:48 am

Thanks Kalboz.. Im going to use weekend certificate for Fri and Sat and book a club level room. then use free CC night for sunday and wanted to upgrade to club level room so it looks like 3200++ for the sunday night.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:46 pm

Thanks Kalboz.. Im going to use weekend certificate for Fri and Sat and book a club level room. then use free CC night for sunday and wanted to upgrade to club level room so it looks like 3200++ for the sunday night.
The THB 3,200++ that I paid was for suite upgrade which included a Club IC access. This is a elgit and professional operation here not wishy washy like some other Bangkok hotels. Just ask them and they will tell their going rates. Ask for Ms. Heromi or Ms. Jojo at the IHG Desk. So, if you pay THB 3,200++ make sure you get a suite with Club IC access. BTW, although my wife liked Espresso food variety, I thought the Club IC was more than adequate and absolutely worth every penny as I rather have quality (and tranquility) over quantity
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by barracuda93
For a note, I have been provided complementary Club access in three SPG properties, being just Gold. I never demanded it though, of course; once it was offered from hotel side, in two other cases I have requested it nicely (asked for access limited to evening happy hour, for evaluation purposes having in mind to stay there again later on).
Have been SPG Gold for many years, never received Club access. As IC Ambassador in the '90s I used to receive Club access every stay but that has not been the case for many years. You want Club, you pay, unless you win the lottery at the front desk.

Originally Posted by Kalboz
The THB 3,200++ that I paid was for suite upgrade which included a Club IC access...I thought the Club IC was more than adequate and absolutely worth every penny as I rather have quality (and tranquility) over quantity
Value is in the eye of the beholder. As I noted above, the regular rooms are pretty sizeable. The IC Club certainly has a great spread, much better than many other properties (e.g. JW) and you can easily make a meal out of it for breakfast and dinner. But $75 goes a long way in Bangkok, and you can certainly get breakfast for a lot less in the restaurant (assuming it isn't included in your rate, which is often the case for me). If you need the extra space and/or plan to eat breakfast & dinner in the lounge (with multiple drinks) then yes I'd say it is worth it. If only one person and you are only having breakfast and a couple of glasses of wine at happy hour, probably not. YMMV!

P.S. Did not find it so "tranquill" though certainly less noisy than lobby bar and 1st floor restaurant.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 4:23 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:55 am
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:53 am

Yeah Boraxo me and wife just want to get out of Chiang mai for a long weekend probably spend most of our time in or around the hotel. There is a very good Itailian Restaurant called Peppina about 600 meters from the hotel probably head there for dinner one night. There Truffle pizza is awesome.. Other then that just hang at the pool and do the lounge bit..
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Looking at the recent RA experiences, diminished club f&b etc., it seems like there are better deals in Bangkok now, despite being RA. What's the regulars stance on the hotel now? I'm looking for 4 or 5 relaxing days in a great hotel. Would the CP even be a better option now than the IC? Any other favorites in BKK?

Thank you
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Looking at the recent RA experiences, diminished club f&b etc., it seems like there are better deals in Bangkok now, despite being RA. What's the regulars stance on the hotel now? I'm looking for 4 or 5 relaxing days in a great hotel. Would the CP even be a better option now than the IC? Any other favorites in BKK?

Thank you
I suppose a lot depends on the location, and if you like it. I don't, and i don't stay there.

The CP is pretty well located, but it's expensive for what it offers. And one of those things it doesn't offer is club access. So I'm very happy with the HI Silom if I'm looking for hotels in the IHG folder.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I suppose a lot depends on the location, and if you like it. I don't, and i don't stay there.

The CP is pretty well located, but it's expensive for what it offers. And one of those things it doesn't offer is club access. So I'm very happy with the HI Silom if I'm looking for hotels in the IHG folder.
Thank you.
A nice pool, a very good club lounge and a location that allows heading out for a local dinner would be preferred. But I take no lounge rather than a dire one.
I found the common areas at the HI silom rather outdated, but I have a look.
The Peninsula is abou 20 more expensive than the IC, which appears like a better deal. We don't have any corp rates in Bangkok - so anything works
Old Mar 6, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Thank you.
A nice pool, a very good club lounge and a location that allows heading out for a local dinner would be preferred. But I take no lounge rather than a dire one.
I found the common areas at the HI silom rather outdated, but I have a look.
The Peninsula is abou 20 € more expensive than the IC, which appears like a better deal. We don't have any corp rates in Bangkok - so anything works

The HI Silom really isnt a "destination" hotel. The pool's not at all attractive, the lounge is very much OK without being fancy, but with helpful staff.

The nice thing is, or has been, club access for elites, and (usually) a sensible price.

I'm very fond of the Dusit Thani for stays where the bill isn't mine But i think it's closed/closing for a rebuild.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.