Link to hotel
http://www.cpmanhattantimessquare.com/
https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/us/en/new-york/nycmh/hoteldetail

Experience Thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27471119-post205.html

Archive Thread of this hotel
Post prior to January 2011
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza Times Square (Master Thread)

Old Feb 3, 2018, 12:20 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA,UA,DL,BA,HH,*W,BW
I was shopping for an IHG hotel for a few nights, to see some shows. I originally reserved the CP Times Sq. First reservation, it was for a Double Bed Times Sq view room at $149/night. Later the King Times Sq became available for $134. So of course, I canceled and rebooked the lower rate. I had been looking at IC Times Sq. Their room rate went down to $160/night. I needed 2 IC stays for the Accelerate promotion. So for about $20, I changed to the IC Times Sq. The total price on the King at CP was $379 and the IC was $399. The numbers didn't jive, why? Because the CP Times Sq. charges a $30 per day resort fee. Beware of the insidious resort fee.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I just finished a three night stay at CP TS. As platinum I was treated quite well....took the 600 welcome points instead of two free drinks, and got the $10 breakfast coupons. The one huge surprise was that I was not charged the $30 per day service fee. Not sure why, but I wasn't about to ask!
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I just finished a three night stay at CP TS. As platinum I was treated quite well....took the 600 welcome points instead of two free drinks, and got the $10 breakfast coupons. The one huge surprise was that I was not charged the $30 per day service fee. Not sure why, but I wasn't about to ask!
as Spire last year this fee was automatically waived for me. So thats nice, considering all the Times Square hotels that charge this ridiculous fee that dont waive it
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just had a 1 night stay here. I'm not an IHG guy normally so I wouldn't have picked it, but the company I was in town to see booked and paid for it. As an IHG Plat I was upgraded to a nice corner room on the 45th floor which was an impressive size and had nice views. I got the 600 points and a free drink as the welcome bonus. $10 for the buffet was an alright deal which I availed myself of since I had meetings starting from 11 so I just wanted to stay around the hotel. Like DavidDTW I was not charged the $30 BS service fee, though I'm not really sure why. Decent stay though, great shower and water pressure. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:40 pm

Just finished a NYE stay. Cash reservation for one night on 12/30 and IHG Chase free night on 12/31. The stay was very nice although we didn't get Times Square view. No room has the ball drop view. NYE was crazy but the hotel managed very well. Some changes from the last posts as a plat are:

$30+tax service fee was NOT waived as a plat. Charged each night for the cash reservation and the free night.
Buffet discount for plat (and spire too) was raised to $16 per person. That's still ~50% off of the full price.
All IHG members get $20 food/drink certificate for each night.
Two free drinks for every room every stay (which is a part of the service fee), and as a plat, we've got two more free drink coupons.
Even after choosing welcome drink as a plat, 600 points were eventually added on my account on the next day.

The drink coupon and $20 cert can be redeemed at the restaurant, bar, and pick-up-and-go. Drink coupon was for beer, wine, and non-alcohol items. Pick-up place had a high quality OJ that we enjoyed several times using the drink coupon. Pick-up place also had salads, sandwiches, and cakes which were all around $10. Two of them maximizes value of the $20 cert. However, when using $20 cert, 15% tip is added.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Just finished a NYE stay. Cash reservation for one night on 12/30 and IHG Chase free night on 12/31. The stay was very nice although we didn't get Times Square view. No room has the ball drop view. NYE was crazy but the hotel managed very well.
Can you expand on the NYE aspect at this hotel? What was that like? Cant view Times Square from your room so is it easy to go outside and walk around? Does the hotel have a reserved section outside? Do you have to be there hours in advance to save your spot? Are washrooms and drinks easily available?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
Can you expand on the NYE aspect at this hotel? What was that like? Cant view Times Square from your room so is it easy to go outside and walk around? Does the hotel have a reserved section outside? Do you have to be there hours in advance to save your spot? Are washrooms and drinks easily available?
The day before NYE was festive all around (I mean outside) and very crowded. On the NYE however, the outside was like a war zone. Most shops/restaurants were closed. Police lines everywhere. All hotel guests got a wristband that was needed to not only come inside the hotel but just to walk around outside. To get to Walgreens, we had to show the band several times to the police. So no, it wasn't easy to walk around the hotel but it wasn't impossible. Police don't let us walk into other area - for instance, they let us walk to Walgreens and back, but we cannot just wonder around aimlessly.

Hotel does provide a reserved section that has the ball drop view but only for those who pay $1k per person and the section opens at 11pm. We decided not to pay $1k nor wait outside due to the rainy weather, but I saw some hotel guests walk outside several hours before the midnight and join `the crowd'. Drinks were sufficient - as they were available until 11pm or later at the pick-up-and-go shop. Bathrooms were nice and clean for those inside the hotel. After 11:30pm or probably much before than 11 (I don't know when that happened), those police lines got smeared - anyone began to stand next to/behind the crowd and any place where ball is visible got filled up quickly (especially 49th-Broadway St intersection & sidewalk of Broadway between 49th and 50th). Looking back, I could have walked to 51st or higher through 8th ave but I couldn't watch the ball at the midnight because I went out too late. Still, it was a fun night.

Inside hotel was party all evening. Hotel provided a few different packages (listed on the hotel website) and I think most of them were eventually sold out. Some parties were held at the bar and the restaurant which had the Times Square view.

FYI, 12/30 night became very cheap at the last minute around the Times Square ($150 at HI/HIX, $220 at this Crowne Plaza) while 12/29 and 12/31 rate didn't go down.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
The day before NYE was festive all around (I mean outside) and very crowded. On the NYE however, the outside was like a war zone. Most shops/restaurants were closed. Police lines everywhere. All hotel guests got a wristband that was needed to not only come inside the hotel but just to walk around outside. To get to Walgreens, we had to show the band several times to the police. So no, it wasn't easy to walk around the hotel but it wasn't impossible. Police don't let us walk into other area - for instance, they let us walk to Walgreens and back, but we cannot just wonder around aimlessly.

Hotel does provide a reserved section that has the ball drop view but only for those who pay $1k per person and the section opens at 11pm. We decided not to pay $1k nor wait outside due to the rainy weather, but I saw some hotel guests walk outside several hours before the midnight and join `the crowd'. Drinks were sufficient - as they were available until 11pm or later at the pick-up-and-go shop. Bathrooms were nice and clean for those inside the hotel. After 11:30pm or probably much before than 11 (I don't know when that happened), those police lines got smeared - anyone began to stand next to/behind the crowd and any place where ball is visible got filled up quickly (especially 49th-Broadway St intersection & sidewalk of Broadway between 49th and 50th). Looking back, I could have walked to 51st or higher through 8th ave but I couldn't watch the ball at the midnight because I went out too late. Still, it was a fun night.

Inside hotel was party all evening. Hotel provided a few different packages (listed on the hotel website) and I think most of them were eventually sold out. Some parties were held at the bar and the restaurant which had the Times Square view.

FYI, 12/30 night became very cheap at the last minute around the Times Square ($150 at HI/HIX, $220 at this Crowne Plaza) while 12/29 and 12/31 rate didn't go down.
thank you for the details. Ive thought about going a few years in a row now but never committed. Very good to know that its $1k to stand out in their reserved section.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Nevermind

Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 4, 2019 at 8:27 am
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:07 pm

https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/cro...-times-square/
TPG has a nice review of this property. Linked here for future reference.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Still no breakfast on award stays for Plats at this hotel?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Still no breakfast on award stays for Plats at this hotel?
No free breakfast for anyone, award or paid, including Spires.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Yikes. I guess things got even worse after around page 3 of the thread. Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Was there last week, you get breakfast for $16 as Plat instead of $32. Also got $25 voucher per night for the bar or restaurant. And 2 drink coupons. Pretty good!
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Prestige
Was there last week, you get breakfast for $16 as Plat instead of $32. Also got $25 voucher per night for the bar or restaurant. And 2 drink coupons. Pretty good!
The $25 voucher must be new and is a nice touch if it comes in addition to the drink coupons. Breakfast used to be $10 for Platinum/Spire but $16 is pretty good too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.