Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo: Strings by InterContinental (almost) review

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Tokyo: Strings by InterContinental (almost) review

We have had the good fortune to stay at Strings Hotel, Tokyo for the past few days. Our timing was near perfect as this hotel becomes Strings by InterContinental, Tokyo on May 20th, which is tomorrow, the day before we leave. If you are old enough, most can remember what you were doing when Armstrong first walked on the moon, or JFK met his maker or even when Italy won the World Cup. This hotel becoming an InterContinental won’t rate with those events but at least I can say I was there!

I’ve also linked to some photos I took earlier in the stay.

The hotel is located right next to Shinagawa Station. Shinagawa is a business area and not one of the prime tourist destinations in this city but it’s nevertheless very convenient. First, it’s easy to get to. The Airport Limousine Bus from Narita stops and picks up at the front door but only 4 or 5 times a day. Other routes take in different hotels in the area which are easily walkable to Strings. And Narita Express stops at the Shinagawa Station and it’s about 5 minutes from platform to Check-In. From that point of view this is the best located IC, and near best located hotel of any description, in Tokyo. We got here by Airport Limousine bus and were meet on the street by a porter and taken to Reception on the 26th floor.

The Hotel
It is located from Floor 26 to 32 at the top of a Shinagawa office high rise. The hotel is small by comparison with the other two IC’s in Tokyo (and the one in Yokohama). For example, the new ANA IC has over 800 rooms. Strings has just 206. Consequently it has fewer big hotel features. There is no pool, only two restaurants, one bar, a small but well equipped gym, steam room and a small business centre with three terminals. Use of the terminals is free as is internet connection via the lan port and cable in each room. There is no specific club floor nor club lounge.

Room
The hotel seems generally to be the most expensive of the Tokyo IC’s. I reserved a Club King and was upgraded to a Corner Premium Suite with club benefits. Please be aware that this was prior to the hotel becoming an IC. Club benefits after tomorrow under the IC regime will be a little different from what I experienced.

This Corner Suite has a great bathroom, a bedroom with twin beds and a sitting room with TV, cd, dvd etc It is very comfortable. During my stay the beds were changed in preparation for the re-branding to really good firm feather top beds. The twin beds are large and this makes the bedroom a bit cramped. There is really only space for one suitcase. A king suite bedroom is probably more spacious because the bed would take up less room. Furnishings are stylish and conservative - lots of wood, browns, beiges and light blues. If anything the room is a little over furnished and would benefit from some reduction in clutter. It also has a very large shag pile rug which rucks up and looks strange.

The free mini bar has basic contents. One each of 5 x 50cl spirit bottles, 4 beers, and several sodas and mixers. There is also a 200 ml bottle of Moet. There is no wine. It was replenished each day. The bar contains no food or nuts.

The suite is generally top notch. It is one of the nicest suites of its size I’ve had anywhere. Views across the city are magnificent and there is a view of Rainbow Bridge and the Harbor. By their dimensions on the Strings Hotel website, I’d think the standard rooms would be compact but adequate.

Restaurants
We only had breakfast at the hotel. It is a top quality buffet which currently is priced at about 2700++ yen with a mixture of Western and Asian foods. There is an egg station and plenty of fruit. Ideal for me. Breakfast is in The Dining which also does lunch and dinner a la carte. There is also a pricey Chinese fusion restaurant which I was told was very good.

Service
The hotel staff are universally friendly and professional. I’d rate this as one of the most positive things about the place. The small size makes it more personal.

Ambiance
The place is like a top class boutique hotel. It is quiet and understated. The central atrium, which contains reception, restaurants and all the facilities is basically open plan and looks quite stunning. It has a calm air. It is very different from ANA InterContinental Tokyo and will suit many people.

Teething Problems
I have to admit that as much as I like the place there have been more issues about rates, terms etc than I would have wanted. The rate I booked at via the PC website has changed several times. There has been a lack of clarity over what was included. I put these down to teething problems and lack of familiarity with IHG systems. From my own experience in a previous life it is very hard for a hotel to change systems etc as this one is currently doing. So I am prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt. However, I think it is essential that anyone staying here has a full understanding of what they are getting and paying for to avoid dramas. I’ll be interested to hear of others’ experiences over the coming months as this would be my first choice in Tokyo.

As I said, this hotel becomes an IC tomorrow. I’ll report some comments on that in a day or two particularly in relation to how Ambassadors and RA’s will be affected and how the hotel will manage without a club lounge. The re-branding process should be interesting to see tomorrow morning.
Old May 19, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
hi

actually it already shows as an IC.

so i didnt knew there would be one more IC, so thats good news and i will try it out .

thanks for the great report.

dp
Old May 19, 2007, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, looks like a very nice property, although pricey! Already booked the ANA Tokyo, or else I would have split it between these two. Thanks for the report! ^
Old May 20, 2007, 3:10 am
Original Poster

Two additions:

The changeover to Strings by InterContinental
It was an education to see the change over from an ANA hotel to an InterContinental this morning. Virtually all of the hundreds of signs were changed by 9.00am, even down to the IC type descriptions of services on the telephone. The room servicing took an hour but by the end of it everything, from pillows to laundry bags to bathrobes and room collateral was IC. The contents of the mini bar however did not increase.

The champagne was flowing and the chocolates were being distributed to guests like me hovering around, making a great addition to breakfast!

RAs and Ambs
Many people will know Bobby Fajardo from his days as Front Office Manager at Bangkok, Phnom Penh and Manila. Bobby is currently Manager – Re-branding Project for the assimilation of the ANA hotels into IHG. Bobby has helped many of us out with reservations at many IC’s and he was a great help to me with my reservation at Strings. I took the opportunity to ask him about the assimilation of Strings by InterContinental and below is my paraphrasing of his answers. If any of these prove incorrect it is my responsibility, not Bobby’s. So shoot me, not him. As well, this is the starting position. Things may change in practice over time as they do at many IC’s. Nothing is forever!

The other thing I’d suggest to anybody staying here, particularly in the near future, should establish their entitlements. In my experience here there can be communication problems and it is better not to have surprises. There has been a bit of a tendency here to agree but then nothing happens. So if you are a Royal Ambassador ask what room type you’ll get etc. Bobby has given me permission to include his email address ( [email protected] ) and he’ll help out if he can with any problems at any ANA hotel in Japan.

So here are his paraphrased answers to my questions.
For Ambassadors what will the usual upgrade be? Upgrade is to the next room category. There will be no automatic upgrades to club rooms unless that is the next level up. I have the impression that the differences between room types is not large.
What will the usual Royal Ambassador upgrade be? For Royal Ambassadors, the upgrade is to a suite or a superior room. The superior room would be a Club Deluxe room.
As there is only a small number of suites, will this be a normal upgrade? Only if it the appropriate room as set out above. There may be occasions when upgrades to suites simply can’t be honored as there are only 6 suites in the hotel.
Will there be upgrades on reward nights? Reward Nights do not entitle to an upgrade as per T&C
For Club level guests there will be free mini bar? There is a free mini bar for all club guests whatever their ambassador status, and even if they have no status.
For club level guests there will be free breakfast? All club guests can take complimentary breakfast at the lobby restaurant.
For Club level guests there will a special drinks menu at the bar from 5.00pm to 7.00pm 7 days a week? Yes.
Are there other benefits? All other usual benefits and entitlements for Ambassadors /RA’s relating to check in and check out times, welcome gifts etc will apply at the hotel. My welcome gift was a leather credit card holder, bottle of Chilean Red and fruit plate. However, this was prior to the IC re-branding. There was plenty of water in the mini-bar.

My conclusion
If and when I come back, I'd be making sure that I had a Club room either by RA upgrade or payment because the inclusion of the breakfast/mini bar makes it very cost efficient.
The hotel has the makings of being one of the very best IC's. However its smallness and intimacy won't appeal to everyone. It does to me.
Old May 20, 2007, 3:46 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Thanks for the great review, turtlemichael! Looking at possible dates just now, The Strings Tokyo does appear to be a little pricier than any other of the IC properties here. This didn't help either:
Extra Person Charge: 6000.0 JPY per extra Adult starting with the 2nd adult.
Old May 20, 2007, 6:19 am
Original Poster

I reckon that will disappear. But I'm guessing! It wasn't applied to me and I think it's contrary to the rules for Ambassadors or RA's but I can't for the moment find the rule I said in the review they have a way to go with bedding in and that might be an other example.
Old May 20, 2007, 6:33 am

IC Strings looks very nice and modern! ^ [generalisation]A shocker for a hotel in Japan! [/generalisation]

I wish they all turned into ICs earlier - like when I was in Japan for instance. My parents are IC-loyalists and insisted on staying in the IC Tokyo Bay since it was the only IC then (and since I had my way in staying at the Westins in Osaka and Kyoto ) - it was outdated and feral in many ways. Not that the Westins were much better - all rather 80s-looking.
Old May 20, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Did you receive the teddy bear plush?
Are they going to distribute the teddy bear once they change to IC?
Old May 20, 2007, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Bobby is currently Manager – Re-branding Project for the [B]assimilation[B] of the ANA hotels into IHG.
Sounds a bit like The Borg or The Daliks: Resistance is futile! Assimilate or die!

But thanks for your report(s) which will make it more difficult to decide among the four ICs in the region: IC Tokyo Bay, IC Yokohama, IC Tokyo (née ANA) and the IC Strings.

BTW I am curious about the odd name "Strings" and how it came to be? Anyone know the story?
Old May 20, 2007, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Sounds a bit like The Borg or The Daliks: Resistance is futile! Assimilate or die!

But thanks for your report(s) which will make it more difficult to decide among the four ICs in the region: IC Tokyo Bay, IC Yokohama, IC Tokyo (née ANA) and the IC Strings.

BTW I am curious about the odd name "Strings" and how it came to be? Anyone know the story?
Resistance is definitely futile!

It will be a personal view but having seen but not stayed at the the two Tokyo hotels, this one is streets ahead.

Finally, according to the Directory of Services, the hotel is named after the part of the orchestra embraced by connoisseurs. Make of that what you want!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 6:46 am
Original Poster

A bit of an issue

I do have a bit of an issue with this hotel which takes the gloss a little off what I have said about it. Part of my 6 night stay was on points. I was upgraded for the entire stay to a club suite. However, I discovered that I was billed for breakfast on the 4 days that I was using points. I was somewhat surprised at this (and out of pocket close to USD200.00 for the 2 of us) as in my experience elsewhere if you were put in a club room, on whatever basis, you were entitled to the benefits. You could expect to use the lounge, have drinks, breakfast etc In the case of Strings there is no club lounge and club level guests take their breakfasts in the main restaurant. Club level also includes free mini bar, regardless of IC status. I got the mini bar but not the breakfasts. It would have been good to have been told this in advance but I was not and naively assumed that I would have all the benefits of a club room.

I guess they are relying on the award not clause that says that food and beverages are not included - in any case, relying on the food part excluded at least!

I hope that as it is now an IC there won't be problems for others like this but you have been warned to check all your conditions before you stay! The Japanese tendency to smile a lot and say "yes", when "no" is meant, not withstanding. I hope they will not be penny-pinching at this otherwise very good hotel.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 7:32 am

I believe that as a Club room guest you were given pink voucher good for one of the benefits stated in the voucher per person per room per night of stays. If you do not receive the voucher, ask for it, do not take it for granted. DO not sign for anything that you do not want to pay

They tried to charge a friend of mine for the second person and my friend had to insist that the "single rate for double occupancy" DOES exist as a Royal Ambassador benefit.

Make sure that you bring all the documentations that you need.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
harge a friend of mine for the second person and my friend had to insist that the "single rate for double occupancy" DOES exist as a Royal Ambassador benefit.
You sure about that?
It was a benefit I remember from the past, but there's no mention to it anymore...

Cheers
maclover
Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by maclover
You sure about that?
It was a benefit I remember from the past, but there's no mention to it anymore...

Cheers
maclover
To think of it, I do not find the particluar benefit listed in the Ambassador homepage. It was listed in the booklet that comes with Ambassador and Royal Ambassador portfolio though.

Anyone can verify that it is still a valid benefit?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
To think of it, I do not find the particluar benefit listed in the Ambassador homepage. It was listed in the booklet that comes with Ambassador and Royal Ambassador portfolio though.

Anyone can verify that it is still a valid benefit?
Yes, it is still a valid benefit for A/RA members at IC branded hotels only. It does not apply to any other branded ICHG property.

m

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.