Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Intercontinental Tokyo (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Especially the Classic rooms at IC ANA can be on the dated to pretty worn side depending on your luck. An award will book into Classic and depending on status (ignoring RA here) you may get an upgrade to a Deluxe room as AMB / Spire which is a bit better as not as dark (due to higher floors usually) and not as worn as Classic can be. YMMV.

For us, personally, we always got for IC Strings as we need Shinkansen and NEX access and the JR Yamanote line on top is beneficial as well. We also like some food places around there including Ramen Alley & Ginza Hamburg steak restaurant behind the station. Again depends on what you plan for while in Tokyo as other posters mentioned.
Mostly for cherry blossom and food. We only have Platinum status so the chance of being upgraded is very slim. How about the room size, I heard the IC Strings room is a bit cramped, is that true?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:41 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MissVacation
Mostly for cherry blossom and food. We only have Platinum status so the chance of being upgraded is very slim. How about the room size, I heard the IC Strings room is a bit cramped, is that true?
Depends on the room, but the entry level Double (Bed) room that you get for points isn't very big and IC ANA Classic is certainly larger. For Cherry blossom in Tokyo, IC ANA would work well as another poster mentioned.

If you want to go to outside Tokyo, e.g. we once went to Hakone from Tokyo on a day trip to see Cherry blossom and use a day onsen (hot spring) then access to Shinagawa station could be useful. Also more food places around a major station like Shinagawa obviously, but not like IC ANA has nothing. Just takes more of a walk or subway ride.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:01 am

Depends on the room, but the entry level Double (Bed) room that you get for points isn't very big and IC ANA Classic is certainly larger. For Cherry blossom in Tokyo, IC ANA would work well as another poster mentioned.

If you want to go to outside Tokyo, e.g. we once went to Hakone from Tokyo on a day trip to see Cherry blossom and use a day onsen (hot spring) then access to Shinagawa station could be useful. Also more food places around a major station like Shinagawa obviously, but not like IC ANA has nothing. Just takes more of a walk or subway ride.
Thank you! The String has jumped back up to 55k points so that eliminated the option.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:19 am

Have the new Kimpton Shinjuku booked using free night vouchers for April, just booked the Strings @ 27,500 points a night. ANA looks a little dated for me.

How do the areas between The Strings and Kimpton compare?

I believe the new Kimpton is across the street from the Park Hyatt looking at google maps?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
Have the new Kimpton Shinjuku booked using free night vouchers for April, just booked the Strings @ 27,500 points a night. ANA looks a little dated for me.

I believe the new Kimpton is across the street from the Park Hyatt looking at google maps?
Lucky you, I have been checking the new Kimpton and never showed available for award nights Do you happen to know how many points it required?
Old Jun 16, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: Avios
Lucky you, I have been checking the new Kimpton and never showed available for award nights Do you happen to know how many points it required?
Agree with you on this as I have checked every morning for the past 4 weeks and the Kimpton never had any award nights available??
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:10 am

It is not showing availability using points for any dates I checked so can't help sorry.

I booked using free night vouchers from the IHG credit card (UK) which has availability wide open.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Thanks, do you know how much it'll cost to upgrade?
Last time I was there I was quoted 16k yen per night. Not sure if that is still the case or if anyone has a better idea.

Indeed. For me the ANA v Strings debate always comes down to what you want exactly. If you want easy access transport and lots of food places, then choose the Strings. If you want to be in Tokyo and you're there for CB then choose the ANA.

Wow, how did you get the Kimpton? You must've been in the right place at the right time. As for the ANA it is a bit dated but it is kept in very good condition. Further, it appears that my booking has not been placed in a higher category than Classic. Not sure if this is a mistake......
oxfordjames likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by TheWiseOne
Wow, how did you get the Kimpton? You must've been in the right place at the right time. As for the ANA it is a bit dated but it is kept in very good condition. Further, it appears that my booking has not been placed in a higher category than Classic. Not sure if this is a mistake......
Point rates don't appear to have been loaded yet, booking using the free night certificates from the credit card (UK) are wide open.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Flying Club, HHonors, Gold Passport, IHG Rewards, Le Club Accor, Club Carlson
Point rates don't appear to have been loaded yet, booking using the free night certificates from the credit card (UK) are wide open.
I see. I do have a voucher myself but I need five nights so the ANA it is for me. If they load I will probably change. Thanks for the clarification!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:27 am

Hi,

I have a bonus booking at IC ANA from March 26 to April 1st 2021. Unfortunately I will have to cancel this room. As this is a quite popular time of year (Sakura) I will be happy to coordinate the release of this room if anyone in here would like to take over. Let me know.

Last edited by Oletjala; Oct 6, 2020 at 10:50 pm
Old Sep 4, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
August 2022 Trip Report - High Floor King Bed Classic Room

I recently completed an 8-night stay at this hotel. The last time I stayed at an InterContinental hotel was over 30 years ago at what is now known as the InterContinental New York Barclay in Manhattan.

Although I visited the ANA InterContinental Tokyo before, it was for dining at their Akasaka 37th floor teppanyaki restaurant, not as a hotel guest.

My recent stay in a high floor king bed classic room was booked at a corporate discount rate, and I wasn’t eligible due to company policy to reserve a room with Club InterContinental access. Thanks to a recent IHG promotional offer, my Hilton Honors Diamond status was matched to IHG Platinum Elite status until December 2022, so I enjoyed IHG Platinum Elite benefits for this stay.

Thanks to another IHG promotional offer, after this stay, my IHG Platinum Elite status was extended to December 2023. I received an e-mail offer to purchase Ambassador status, but based on my free status match to IHG Platinum Elite, I didn’t see enough benefit in purchasing this status.

Due to the pandemic, the convenient Airport Limousine Bus suspended all service to this hotel until further notice, so getting there from Haneda or Narita Airports economically required some research. For this trip, I flew into Haneda Airport, took the Keikyu Line train/Asakusa Line subway to Shimbashi station, and then a taxi to the hotel. After checkout, I took a taxi to Tokyo station and the JR Narita Airport express to catch my return flight.

My check-in process at the hotel was excellent, fast, and efficient. Despite arriving around 7:00 PM, there was no line at the front desk, and my IHG Platinum Elite status was recognized. The front desk staff and bellhops were courteous and efficient, and I was up in my room quickly with my luggage.

I don’t know if I got an upgraded room. It had a king bed as reserved with a nice view of the Diet building and the Prime Minister’s residence and office from the 30th floor. The room was very comfortable, clean, and didn’t seem dated to me.

Normally I’m not impressed with hotel provided toiletries, but the Byredo brand hair shampoo, hair conditioner, body wash, face wash, and body lotion provided in the room were very high quality and I was delighted to use them throughout my stay.

I like a firm mattress and this hotel had the most comfortable bedding I’ve experienced in almost 40 years of personal and business travel throughout the world, even when compared to other hotels at twice the nightly price.

The breakfasts at the hotel were relatively expensive, but there are plenty of much lower cost alternatives with quality food a short walk from the hotel. I did order a few room service meals to sample the cuisine from some of the hotel restaurants. The meals were high quality and delivered quickly. I also dined with a friend at the Akasaka restaurant for dinner.

The in-room refrigerator was stocked, but the drinks were quite expensive, so I walked less than a block to the Family Mart convenience store and purchased beverages at 1/5 the cost of room bar prices plus tasty and economical takeout continental breakfast foods as well.

During my stay, a bellhops arranged for a courier service to deliver a package for me in the Tokyo area at an affordable price. It was very hot during my stay in the Tokyo area and I used the hotel laundry 1-day service which provided convenience and high quality at good prices.

Thanks to my IHG Platinum Elite status, I was able to get extended checkout to 2:00 PM. I had a reservation on a 4:02 PM JR Narita Express train at Tokyo station, so they further extended my checkout time at my request to 2:30 PM. Checkout was just as efficient as check-in. A bellhop took my luggage from my room and when I told her I needed a taxi to Tokyo station, she loaded my luggage into a waiting taxi and told the driver my destination so that as soon as I was done at the front desk, I was in the cab and on my way.

I was thoroughly impressed with the staff and my stay at this location from start to finish and would stay there again when I return to the Tokyo area. The only downsides were the 5000 yen per use charge for hotel guests to use the swimming pool and the relatively high cost for breakfast at the hotel (over 4000 yen). For American guests, the strong dollar compared to the yen somewhat offsets some of the high costs in the hotel.

Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:45 am

Has anyone tried using a milestone suite upgrade here, and if so, what did you receive?

Trying to figure out where to burn it.

Usually stay at the Hilton in Shinjinku, but it's twice the price as this IC.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Has anyone tried using a milestone suite upgrade here, and if so, what did you receive?

Trying to figure out where to burn it.

Usually stay at the Hilton in Shinjinku, but it's twice the price as this IC.
You will receive Junior Suite on 28th to 31st floor.
saaveraward likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by itadakimasu
Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
No

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a Classic Room and received a Classic Room (middle / high floor) as the 2-tier upgrade at; basically same room type and layout, same view, just different floor, that's all. I queried this twice during my stay and was told it was correct. The hotel GM has also since confirmed that their current Royal Ambassador Upgrade Policy is as follows:
Cosy Room -> Classic Room (middle floor)
Classic Room -> Classic Room (high floor)

How are the rooms?
Rooms have been renovated since my last stay pre-pandemic - they're much better appointed with lots of charging points and the bathroom is also a step up from before.

-Bad
Have stayed a lot here pre-pandemic and always received really good room upgrades (suites). But it now seems that they're playing the same game that the IC Sydney at Circular Quay did previously, with a myriad of different descriptions for what is essentially the same room, which obfuscates the room upgrade policy. A 2-tier upgrade from a Classic Room, to another Classic Room was the last straw for me and I can't see myself rushing to return here anytime soon.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Not really - there are plenty of other excellent properties (including other ICs) in the area at the same price-point, and given the new room upgrade policy, it is not good value in my opinion.
I'm not sure if the upgrade policy has really changed.

Why book the cheapest room, when for an extra EUR 50 you can upgrade from the Classic Room to the King Bed Classic High Floor, which allows you to upgrade to the Junior Suite (which I find very nice)?

I personally love ANA Tokyo for central location, great club lounge aned excellent service. And definitely prefer ANA over The Strings.
FLYGVA and eugnk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.