Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Regent Hotel Beijing (Master Tread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Regent Hotel Beijing (Master Tread)

Has anyone tried the new Regent Hotel in Beijing? Thought the Peninsula would probably be best for our first visit to Beijing but perhaps we should consider the Regent?? We're looking for the hotel offering the best service, rooms/suites and location. Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2007, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

doesnt look like anything on FT yet about Regent, and only 2 reports on TA
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
The Peninsula and the Regent are quite close by one another, about two blocks apart. The Regent is quite new, but the Pen recently completed an extensive renovation that resulted in rooms comparable in appointments (though not in size) to those in Hong Kong. The service at the Pen was quite good, but you don't forget that you're in mainland China, where 5* international hotels were practically nonexistent not much more than a decade ago. The service was nothing shabby, but the Peninsulas in HKG and BKK are markedly better. I would recommend a room on the Club Floor because you get more personal treatment from the staff there, the evening F&B presentations are quite good and fairly substantial (breakfast presentation is okay: more than a continental breakfast but nothing like HKG or BKK), and the lounge has a clubby feel among the guests experiencing China. Mind you, Mr. Megatop and I were there over Christmas, a tourist-heavy not business-heavy period.

The Regent is brand-new, I believe. It's very modern, whereas the Pen was obviously constructed in the mega-monolithic style of Communist Chinese architecture. Beyond that, I can't offer much comparison, as we didn't so much as check out the lobby of the Regent.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
This hotel is now part of IHG rewards.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
And since that is the case, unless someone know if it is a luxury hotel and details the reasons here, in a few days the mods will transfer this thread to the IHG forum.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
And since that is the case, unless someone know if it is a luxury hotel and details the reasons here, in a few days the mods will transfer this thread to the IHG forum.

It's not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but is the best hotel for people visiting WPP companies. On a side note, the burgers at the Irish place across the street are seriously top notch (i.e. worth the $20).
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
It's not a luxury hotel by any stretch, but is the best hotel for people visiting WPP companies. On a side note, the burgers at the Irish place across the street are seriously top notch (i.e. worth the $20).
You ought to know, so off to the IHG forum it goes!

Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Does it give IHG Reward Club benefits to members, or does it follow the line of Ambassadors?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Recent stay: tries hard but...

We stayed here recently as a family for a one-night staycation and to celebrate our daughter's 10th birthday (we let the hotel know in advance). We used my wife's Chase free night certificate...the only time once a year we stay using her account (to put into perspective that she is "no stay" plat). It was a last-minute booking and the Regent was the only IC/Regent with award availability with a week's notice.

Wife was welcomed as a plat member. No upgraded room offered (fine). We asked for a rollaway, but were told that they had run out (believeable given number of families at the hotel), and actually, the room size wouldn't really accommodate a rollaway anyway. Of note and interest: Plat IHG members get free breakfast here, as well as two welcome drinks. Unusually, no vouchers for latter, and we honestly didn't get a chance to check it out, so not sure what the restrictions around that are. Late check-out was offered when asked for, and with a little encouragement, up until 15:00. No usual welcome letter explaining benefits.

The lobby is fairly expansive and nice. The room itself is on the small side for Beijing with a small bathroom aswell, but with a tub as well as (small) shower cubicle. When we got to the room, despite being a no smoking hotel, there was a strong smell of cigarette smoke from the next-door room. Some member of staff was actually dropping off a welcome card as we entered, and we told her about the smell...she summoned a housekeeper who liberally sprayed the carpet with some fabric freshener...which didn't really get to the crux of the matter, but it was clear that the staff didn't really care and didn't want to do anything about it (i.e. confront our neighbour).

Shortly after checking-in, someone arrived with a fruit platter. The room includes a "complimentary minibar" which is in reality a couple of coke cans, an orange juice and a couple of beers...my daughter had the orange juice.

We checked out the pool: this is actually very large for a hotel pool. There are a couple of smaller, warmer pools, one for paddling with kids and one with jacuzzi features. It was extremely crowded with families, but was fairly fun and the kids enjoyed themselves. In the evening we came back after dinner to find the room turned down and a quite delicious fruit/ fresh cream cake left in the room as a gesture for my daughter's birthday. Rather inexplicably, our bathrobes (which we had casually discarded after coming back from the pool) were nowhere to be found, and the (used) slippers had also disappeared..we couldn't be bothered to ring up about it.

Breakfast was an expansive buffet, and was rather chaotic. Some decent options including a roast meat station (was roast pork), the usual fresh noodles etc. Cheese-board was disappointing for a "5 star" hotel. The coffee was pretty poor. The usual fresh fruit selection found in every Chinese hotel, but nothing very high quality.

Parking (unlikely to be relevant to most) was surprisingly affordable given the location: came to 135 RMB for about 25 hours. but the surface lot next to the hotel (where I parked) was really quite small...not sure where the overflow parking is.

Overall: we had a fun time. The free breakfast was a definite and unexpected plus, and the cake was a nice gesture. But in terms of both "service mentality" and hard/ soft product, the hotel is the weakest of the several (IHG/ Marriott/ HH) we've stayed at over the years (all on points/ certificates) in Beijing. I don't know if ICs now routinely offer free breakfast to plats in Beijing -- the last time we stayed at an IC in town (Sanlitun) was a couple of years ago. If not, the breakfast offering to Plat and above members, even on award stays would be a definite incentive for a well-located (for tourist purposes) hotel. But even moreso that other hotels in China, there is relative lack of staff "service-orientated" attitude.

tb
Old Sep 3, 2019, 8:29 pm

Just got back from a 4-night stay. Me = IHG Platinum (via credit card), booked cash nonrefundable rate for a Deluxe King room. Solo traveler from USA. English-only. I thought about the Crowne Plaza Wangfujing, but all the reviews said the interior was in need of refurbishment. Regent wasn't that much more expensive and had the benefit of being near the Metro. First time at the Regent brand.

Check In: I showed up at 6:30am. They told me that my room (on a higher floor, as requested during the booking) wasn't available until check-out time (noon). Understandable.So I simply asked about where to change (and possibly shower. . . I had a food tour booked at 9am) and to drop my bag. After a few minutes, the manager(?) shows up and says there is the same type of room on the 7th floor (so lower floor) I wanted to check in for that room. I was immensely grateful, so I didn't even ask about an upgrade. The reception employee thanked me for my loyalty and explained the welcome drink amenity which I understood was you're either supposed to tell the server or room charge it. Regardless, I didn't use it during my stay. They did ask what kind of tea I would like brought up to my room, and within 10 minutes of me getting to the room, a small pot of tea arrived. I asked about breakfast, but unlike trueblu above, I was explicitly told it was not part of my reservation. There is a small coffee cart in front of reception which inexplicably is taken away around 6:30am. I wonder if it's mostly for the SwissAir crew that stay at the Regent. (I saw their bus arrive every morning around 6-6:30am.)

The fruit platter was dropped off later in the day along with a welcome letter explaining my Platinum benefits.

King Deluxe room: good size for 2 people. Bed on the firm side. Pillow menu is next to the bed. Fridge has a few free sodas (Coke and Sprite), a few beers, individual CoffeeMate servings, and a few bottles of water. Additionally, there are 2 other bottles of water in the room which were refreshed during turndown and room cleaning. There is a kettle for tea and Nestle instant coffee. Air conditioning was very very strong. One nice touch: a power strip that included 3 USB ports was located by the bed.

Gym/Spa/Pool/Restaurants/Club(Lounge): I didn't visit them.

Staff: I found them pleasant, gracious, and welcoming. . .but I didn't have any issues that needed some sort of remedy.

Other: No communication issues at all in English with reception or concierge. Front desk without hesitation changed my large RMB bills to smaller ones.

Location: good, but not great. The adjacent hutongs are not "happening". Overall pretty lame. The hotel sits on Dengshikou station on Metro Line 5 (which I used exclusively as my transit). I took a taxi to the hotel from the airport (83RMB... it was so early in the morning, the Airport Express bus and metro line wasn't running that early). I also took the Airport Shuttle bus from the Regent (concierge explained where to pick it up, super close) to the airport at noon for 25RMB. Ride took 70min and was super easy.

Overall: a good stay with a comfy room and friendly and helpful staff. The super-early check-in was the biggest benefit I could have received. However, as a solo traveler who would prefer to walk to bars, I'd probably want to stay near a hutong with bars or near Sanlitun.

Last edited by flyernok; Sep 3, 2019 at 8:31 pm Reason: add more info
Old Mar 4, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
Any more recent experiences? Considering this vs the InterContinental Beijing Sanlitun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.