Crowne Plaza Geneva: How bad is it really?

Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Crowne Plaza Geneva: How bad is it really?

I've heard pretty bad reviews of the "new" CP Geneva but can't find anything recent about it here, so anyone statayd there lately? Is it really that bad?

Do they extend any Platinum benifits to Reward nights, and of so what?
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
What is good to excellent: quality of service, restaurant

What is mediocre: dated design, ugly building, small rooms

What is convenient: location close to the airport, parking (at a fee)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
I have stayed here a few times. It's fairly average. Nothing great but nothing awful either. The gym at the old CP was a lot better but the location of this one (right next to the buses, trams plus taxis right out side) is a plus.

The rooms are dated but this is the case with most hotels in Geneva at this price range.

Also there are a few restaurants near by (I would avoid the pizza place right opposite). With the old CP there were no restaurants within walking distance.

Last edited by chandi; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:06 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
holiday inn?

So is the (nearby?) holiday inn a realistic alternative?

is it worth paying anything extra for the CP in this case?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM; QF 1P; DJ WP; CX DIA, EK GL, HH DIAMOND; PC Spire RA; SPG PLAT; HERTZ PC; Avis CC
Originally Posted by catharsis
So is the (nearby?) holiday inn a realistic alternative?

is it worth paying anything extra for the CP in this case?
I normally stay at the HI Express at the airport unless it is booked out or need a better internet connection. The internet connections at the HIE are awful. Certainly dont plan on doing a webex or a video conf from there. The CP is better for that.

For my needs I do not see a difference between the two other than the ones stated above.

Chandi
Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:29 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Thinking of staying at the CP for a couple of reward nights at the beginning of April. Sorry to repeat the OP's question, but does anyone know if I can expect to receive any Platinum benefits of any sort on a reward night there?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:28 am

There were some chocolates in the room when I checked in but nothing you can't by locally for under 10F. I am not sure if this was a plat benefit or just a welcome from CP.

I think I also got a voucher for a drink at the bar which was a plat benefit (as I member) and never used.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Stayed there last night.

Got the drink voucher but I chocolates in the room, and I didn't spot any other Platinum benifits to be honest.

I found the hotel ok for a night but I wouldn't want to spend too much time there.

Rooms (including bathrooms) seem like they have had some sort of recent refurbishment but carpet is old and the public areas are very very dated.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As no-one has mentioned this hotel in 5 years (!), I thought I should mention that I was there last week and it was very pleasant inside - still ugly as heck outside, of course.

Full review here - http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/09...-geneva-hotel/

Wierdly the price gap between the CP and the HIX can often be very small (under 5% on the night I was there) even the CP looks good now and, as Spire, as I was given an upgrade to the lounge.

Obviously the IC in the city centre has the pool but there isn't a massive difference in the quality of the interiors and the CP is a fraction of the price. As the train ride from the airport is literally 5 minutes, or you can get a bus or Uber from the hotel, it isn't necessarily worth paying the extra for the IC - especially as the IC is a decent trot from the main sights anyway.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Obviously the IC in the city centre has the pool but there isn't a massive difference in the quality of the interiors and the CP is a fraction of the price.
The IC in GVA is not really in the city center, maybe you are thinking of the Pres. Wilson or the Kempinski at the lake. Granted the IC is closer to the city center vs. the CP ...

Re the rooms, last time I stayed at the IC I felt that the rooms were rather dated (was a couple of years ago, maybe they renovated in the meantime), the CP has rather nice new rooms after the renovation (it used to be a Ramada, I think, and at that stage the rooms (and the rest of the hotel) were not that great). The public areas in the IC are clearly nicer compared to the CP, no surprise there. The outside appearance for both is on the ugly side.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jak456
The IC in GVA is not really in the city center, maybe you are thinking of the Pres. Wilson or the Kempinski at the lake. Granted the IC is closer to the city center vs. the CP ...

Re the rooms, last time I stayed at the IC I felt that the rooms were rather dated (was a couple of years ago, maybe they renovated in the meantime), the CP has rather nice new rooms after the renovation (it used to be a Ramada, I think, and at that stage the rooms (and the rest of the hotel) were not that great). The public areas in the IC are clearly nicer compared to the CP, no surprise there. The outside appearance for both is on the ugly side.
I was at the IC last year - it has had a full refurb. 'City Centre' was in comparison to being at the airport, although I did walk it from the lakeside last year and it was only 15 mins or so.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:44 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Plat, BAEC Silver, TP Gold
Can't remember when the CP moved from the Palexpo/Airport area to the current one but the reviews back in 2012 might be from that older location?

I've stayed at the new location recently. The building is ugly and old but the rooms are fine and quite newly refurbished. Bus 10 stops right in front of it and links the airport to the city center via the train station so it's pretty convenient.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I have stayed here a couple of times on one nighters when connecting.
the staff are snooty and upgrades for spire RA minimal.
the nicest person was the bus driver.
oh and the free bus pass to city. The price for what you get is outrageous
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aussielori
I have stayed here a couple of times on one nighters when connecting.
the staff are snooty and upgrades for spire RA minimal.
the nicest person was the bus driver.
oh and the free bus pass to city. The price for what you get is outrageous
I got an upgrade and the usual Spire offer of points or drink and tapas or lounge access.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.