Address
InterContinental Grand Stanford Hong Kong
70 Mody Roard,
Tsim Sha Tsui East, Hongkong
Tel +852 2721 5161

Link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/hotels/us/en/hong-kong/hkghb/hoteldetail

Next tube / subway station:
Hung Hom Station [West Rail Line / East Rail LIne] (exit D4 / D5)
Tsim Sha Tsui [Tseun Wan Line] (exit P2)
East Tsim Sha Tsui [West Rail Line] (exit P2)

Link to Post with Royal Ambassoder Upgrade Information

Recent Experiences
Royal Ambassador

Ambassador Experiences

Older discussion about this hotel:
Print Wikipost

IC Grand Stanford Hong Kong Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, IML Gold (*G), Accor Gold
IC Grand Stanford Hong Kong Master Thread [merged]

I started planning this stay several months before we were due to arrive in Hong Kong. We ended up staying 4 nights, 2 nights on rewards and then 2 nights using an ambassador BOGO.

I read up on the other reports on this forum and worked out that to get a full harbour view room I needed to book same. The ambassador upgrade is then to an executive harbour view room. When I first booked they had club rooms on the BOGO rate but when I changed my dates they only had ordinary rooms. You can purchase club access with any room and there do not appear to be club floors or club rooms.

Check In

I decided to make use of the airport pickup service. I know it is fairly easy to get from HKIA to your hotel but I knew we would be tired and that we would, despite my best efforts, be carrying way too much luggage to be taking any form of public transport. The pick up service was very efficient. A staff member was waiting after we cleared customs and collected our bags and directed us to the limousine lounge. We waited for a few minutes there until our car was ready. The car was a mercedes s class. The driver was talkable but not overly so. It was a pleasant ride. I thought it was good value for the $HKD 660 (incl tax) price.

On arrival we were taken straight to the club lounge for check in. The features of the club were explained. Check in was quick and soon we were on our way to our room.

The room

There aren't a lot of options for upgrades at this hotel because of the limited number of room types. We had booked a harbour view room which upgrades to an executive harbour view room. You can't actually book an executive harbour view room so you could possibly argue that this isn't a real upgrade. An executive harbour view room is numbered xx35 and it appears that these rooms only exist on floors where there isn't a corner suite.

The executive harbour view room is on the corner closest to central HK and is larger than standard harbour view rooms. I found the room size sufficient so I would say the standard harbour view rooms could be a bit cozy. So, on the basis that it was bigger than the other rooms and on the corner with a full harbour view I was satisfied with the upgrade. Of course, I was also satisfied that I was allowed to keep this room, without surcharge, on the reward nights. I note the other IC charges $HKD 1000 for this privilege making it uneconomical to redeem points for stays.

The style of the room is old world but comfortable. It actually reminded me a little of the styling of the Singapore IC – slightly colonial, light neutral colours with period details. This kind of style doesn't worry me at all so I was happy with the room. The rooms have undergone an update of sorts with a flat screen TV superimposed over the mirror in front of the bed. The carpet looked reasonably new and the bathroom was in good shape. The bed was very comfortable and the pillow menu was a good touch.

From our room we had a full view of Hong Kong Island and the harbour. Admittedly it was not a view of central and you couldn't see the light show. There was also a shipping terminal in front of the hotel which appeared to be a depot for collecting trash of some sorts. I was happy with the view but the view from the other IC would be better as it is right on the water and overlooks central HK. That being said I did enjoy sitting in front of the window and looking out on the harbour and seeing all the ships coming and going.

Club Lounge

We spent a lot of time in the lounge and found it to be excellent value for $HKD 660/day (incl tax). With lounge access you get free wired and wireless in room internet access as well as access in the lounge. (why don't all ICs give in room internet with club access?) They also serve excellent food and drinks at the designated times. The service was, overall, excellent with staff very attentive and eager to serve.

I take breakfast very seriously so it takes a lot to make me happy. There was the usual spread of hot and cold items here but the made to order menu really made the difference. Staff would take your order from the table for hot sweet or savoury items. The french toast was excellent. The eggs as you like them were also served nicely. They had a range of fresh juices with a juice of the day that changed daily. This juice of the day wasn't always great but the apple, star fruit and mint combination was a winner in my view.

The afternoon tea was perhaps the least impressive of their food offerings but was still good. The food was good quality but did not change from day to day. They always offered small sandwiches, with tasty fillings, scones and a cake.

The evening cocktail hour offered a great variety of food and drinks. There were several hot and cold items which changed daily as well as the standard cheeses, antipasto and cold cuts. Staff made up cocktails on request and would make things not on the menu. They took the cocktail making quite seriously and had all their drinks set out on one of the buffet tables so you could see the drinks being made.

The lounge was a comfortable and well designed environment. It overlooked the harbour, and the flyover in front of the hotel. While we were there it was fairly quiet and we never had trouble getting a window seat. It was more lively during the week than on the weekends. The clientele in the lounge was predominantly business types. Occasionally I found the loud voices and arrogance of these business types to be annoying but I was usually able to block them out.

Overall, the club staff provided a great service and were always eager to serve you more drinks or to help with other queries. On some occasions I thought some of the staff were overly familiar with some customers and forgot the need to maintain professional boundaries. It was obvious, though, that some of the guests were repeat customers and visited the hotel on a regular basis so perhaps they had merely developed a good relationship over time.

We preferred the Kowloon side location of this hotel. A short visit to HK Island one day confirmed that we preferred the Kowloon side. The Grand Stanford isn't too far from the MTR and in the mild winter weather I was happy to walk most places. In summer you might prefer a closer location such as the other IC. We walked to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station a few times when we needed to go to other suburbs and it was very efficient although the stations are much larger than I'm used to. The star ferry is a good 10 minute walk.

Summary

We enjoyed our stay at the Grand Stanford and would definitely return. It was fairly relaxed and low key. It is not as sumptuous as the other IC but then the prices reflect that difference.

If my stay was all paid nights, or a BOGO, I would try the other IC just to see what it is like. But if you're combining rewards and paid nights then the Grand Stanford gives you better value.

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...an-2011-a.html

Thank you
FLYGVA
Moderator IHG Forum

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 14, 2017 at 7:04 am
Old Feb 13, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: Intercontinental RA, PC Plat, AX EX Plat, Priority Pass Elite
Booked a deluxe room. Upgraded to a deluxe harbour view room. As other reports have said these rooms do have a view of the trash tip to the left! Was also offered complimentary Club Lounge Access. The Club was exceptional ..... Moet champagne, good wine and fantastic staff. WIFI access in the Club and room. Complimentary hotel shuttle to the harbour / star ferry - ask for the timetable. Also a complimentary bus calls in at the hotel which takes you to Kowloon station for the airport express train. I think this was K3 but the bell hop will advise you on this. This will save you 50 HK $
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Writing this from the GS.

Requested Club access vs upgrade. Booked Harbor view room and that's what I got, with club access.
As an RA just book the cheapest room and ask for harbor room. I've never booked anything else in my dozen stays.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Gold, IML Gold (*G), Accor Gold
Harbour View at GS IC

Originally Posted by stephen77
Booked a deluxe room. Upgraded to a deluxe harbour view room. As other reports have said these rooms do have a view of the trash tip to the left! Was also offered complimentary Club Lounge Access. The Club was exceptional ..... Moet champagne, good wine and fantastic staff. WIFI access in the Club and room. Complimentary hotel shuttle to the harbour / star ferry - ask for the timetable. Also a complimentary bus calls in at the hotel which takes you to Kowloon station for the airport express train. I think this was K3 but the bell hop will advise you on this. This will save you 50 HK $
There is a view of the trash tip but if you are on the corner of the hotel closest to central, eg exec room xx 35, it's only in the periphery of your vision. I thought it was still an impressive view.

The club lounge is definitely exceptional, great service all the time and excellent food and drink.

If you're interested I posted a detailed stay report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post15776947

Last edited by cdp88; Feb 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm Reason: add link to stay report
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Thanks...great report!

Greetings and thank you......a great report, just what I was looking for, we have stayed here four or five times, but, last time was five years ago...always have been well treated.

Again thanks.................
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG P, Hyatt G
nice hotel

stayed at IC GS last month for one night. It was 1300HkD all in. I booked a city view room, and asked for upgrade to a full-harbor view room as a general ambassador. Later I was informed that A can only be upgraded one level, but out of courtesy they still upgraded me to the full harbor view. Free wifi, no lounge, but nice price and property. enjoyed it
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ted.zhang
stayed at IC GS last month for one night. It was 1300HkD all in. I booked a city view room, and asked for upgrade to a full-harbor view room as a general ambassador. Later I was informed that A can only be upgraded one level, but out of courtesy they still upgraded me to the full harbor view. Free wifi, no lounge, but nice price and property. enjoyed it
Def a lot better than the HK due to cost as well.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I heard from a poster in the RA thread on hotel stays, that this hotel is going through refurbishment. I asked guest services when these renovations would be completed for the rooms, and they said 3 months (July-September)

Is it me or does that seem very very quick for renovations to be completed for guestrooms? That said, they gave me a very cookie cutter answer with no descriptions, and the question was not answered probably due to English language skills. I may type a letter back in Chinese, but does anyone know the status/scope of the renovations?

As I have a lot of stays coming up next, including one on NYE, a renovated harbor view suite would be QUITE nice!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'll be here later this week, and will give you an update.

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I heard from a poster in the RA thread on hotel stays, that this hotel is going through refurbishment. I asked guest services when these renovations would be completed for the rooms, and they said 3 months (July-September)

Is it me or does that seem very very quick for renovations to be completed for guestrooms? That said, they gave me a very cookie cutter answer with no descriptions, and the question was not answered probably due to English language skills. I may type a letter back in Chinese, but does anyone know the status/scope of the renovations?

As I have a lot of stays coming up next, including one on NYE, a renovated harbor view suite would be QUITE nice!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:37 am

Programs: IC RA, Qantas Platinum
Renovations

I just had a stay there last week and was told that renovations will be complete by September, but may be extended. They are only doing 3 floors (9, 10 & 16 from memory) at the moment so this might be why it is a quick renovation.

They only work from 10am until 6pm but the noise from the jack hammers is really bad and reverberates throughout the whole building. Hopefully all the demolition work is finished soon and the noise won't be so bad.

Looking forward to seeing their new refurbished rooms on our next stay.

Cheers
Marty
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:03 am

With their super competitive rates compared to other similar hotels (even though its a TINY bit off the beaten path, makes this my fav hotel in Hong Kong to stay)...with 5 upcoming stays, I hope to score their renovated harborview suites
Old Jul 19, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by patchan8984
With their super competitive rates compared to other similar hotels (even though its a TINY bit off the beaten path, makes this my fav hotel in Hong Kong to stay)...with 5 upcoming stays, I hope to score their renovated harborview suites
I can only agree. I have a 1550 HKD rate incl. Breakfast for a Deluxe Harbour View Room which always gets upgraded to a Deluxe Harbour View Suite. This hotel clearly is far below the IC HKG standards, the rooms are certainly not as nice and the view is not as good. However, the rates are quite competitive.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:42 pm

Just stayed here at the beginning of the month and no renovated rooms yet. I have been able to see renovated rooms going for about HKD $300-600 more than the standard for the same room size/type. They seem to be now called "PREMIER" rooms and there are still no images. If anyone is staying soon, pictures would be nice!

I have another 16 nights booked here in Dec/Jan.

Thanks.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:16 pm
sbw

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I can only agree. I have a 1550 HKD rate incl. Breakfast for a Deluxe Harbour View Room which always gets upgraded to a Deluxe Harbour View Suite. This hotel clearly is far below the IC HKG standards, the rooms are certainly not as nice and the view is not as good. However, the rates are quite competitive.
I am trying to use that ''IT company' code for next year but rates gone up to 2k copmare to 1,200. last year. what happen?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sbw
I am trying to use that ''IT company' code for next year but rates gone up to 2k copmare to 1,200. last year. what happen?
2011 rates not yet agreed upon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.