Community
Wiki Posts
Search

List of IC's that remove alcohol from RA's minibar before arrival

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Thanks mates!

This thread has (partially) taken the sting out of my dethroning to the ranks of mere AMB. However, the "sweet" upgrade still remains the most compelling RA benefit to me. If I knew for sure what the bogey was I'd be more likely to play. The opaque RA qualification requirements means my hotel elite qualification efforts will be anchored elsewhere. Cheers
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by BEYFlyer
Well, maybe it's just done when you visit a hotel holtju2

Are you still flying around the world???
Still going strong! Been to Middle East a lot lately, although not to Beirut.

Here's another example of "reduced" minibar. InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. The minibar is not great to begin with.

Regular minibar

Royal Ambassador minibar

Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2

Here's another example of "reduced" minibar. InterContinental Kuala Lumpur. The minibar is not great to begin with.
Wow. I would definitely call them on that one. Perhaps suggest that they hadn't restocked since the last guest was there.

That really sucks.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
Wow. I would definitely call them on that one. Perhaps suggest that they hadn't restocked since the last guest was there.
Actually, I did. The lady admitted that they give a special treatment to RA minibars.

I will do a write up about this property next week. It is not fully compliant with the RA benefits.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by holtju2

Regular minibar

Royal Ambassador minibar
After IC KUL's curtailing was first reported here, I sent off an email to them and they promised they wouldn't reduce the minibar for RAs. During my stay there, I forgot to check, though...

However, I find such behaviour deceitful and unethical - I will avoid this hotel by any means (not that I'm in KL frequently anyway) and urge everyone that encounters such malice to complain to corp care, amb service and the GM.

Edit: When I asked Amb Service to clarify on this matter, they replied that curtailing the minibar for RAs is not allowed, but hotels "may regulate the contents of the mini bar to ensure that said privileges would be equally distributed to all Royal Ambassador members." Whatever that may mean. We RAs probably ought to share our whiskey when there are too many of us...

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 15, 2012 at 8:15 am
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
After IC KUL's curtailing was first reported here, I sent off an email to them and they promised they wouldn't reduce the minibar for RAs. During my stay there, I forgot to check, though...

However, I find such behaviour deceitful and unethical - I will avoid this hotel by any means (not that I'm in KL frequently anyway) and urge everyone that encounters such malice to complain to corp care, amb service and the GM.
+1 Totally agree.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
That IC KL RA minibar is utterly shameful. When I stayed there last year the minibar was fully stocked and not neutered like it is now. The GM of IC KL moved to IC Hanoi late last year so this likely has to do with the new GM's mandate.

Next time I bump into the GM of IC Hanoi I'll be sure to ask for his opinion about the questionable behavior of his successor.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Stayed at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile last year and was told not to expect a restocked mini-bar after the 1st night. Found that out on day 2 after my favored Vodka's were used up. Uncomfortable feeling when they made it sound like they were doing me a special favor when they replaced the Vodka after 3-4 calls and broken promises to restock the mini-bar. Was never restocked except for the token Vodka's. Had a good stay but the mini-bar blackout was a plain stupid policy.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by mister__big
Next time I bump into the GM of IC Hanoi I'll be sure to ask for his opinion about the questionable behavior of his successor.
That's very ironic, because ime Hanoi is one of the places that curtails the minibar. It's a pretty mediocre minibar to begin with, and they remove the two large bottles of hard liquor, leaving only soft drinks and beer.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
IC Dusseldorf was the worst for me. Me and friend had a coupe of things on the first night... Not re-stocked the next day, so I asked if they would mind doing it whilst we were out so my friend could have his G+T before bed, and when we got back, not done.

Was then told that they will not be doing it as we checked out the next day. I told them I was not very impressed with the response, and they arrived with a single Gin miniature and a single Tonic miniature can.

Best I have had was in Boston. Fully stocked every day, when the lovely lady came to re-stock and I was in the suite, she asked if I wanted anything else, and I asked if it would be OK to have another juice and diet coke, which she happily supplied. Wonderful hotel, can't wait to go back! ^
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Best I have had was in Boston. Fully stocked every day, when the lovely lady came to re-stock and I was in the suite, she asked if I wanted anything else, and I asked if it would be OK to have another juice and diet coke, which she happily supplied. Wonderful hotel, can't wait to go back! ^
Absolutely, Boston IC one of my favorite's. Great people working the Club Lounge and lots of wine/beer/hard liquor....actually if you're not RA, book a Club room and you almost don't need a free mini-bar.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
That's very ironic, because ime Hanoi is one of the places that curtails the minibar. It's a pretty mediocre minibar to begin with, and they remove the two large bottles of hard liquor, leaving only soft drinks and beer.
IC Hanoi's minibar is indeed quite mediocre. Liquor-wise there is only a small bottle of white wine inside, and I've never seen the 2 bottles of hard liquor that you mentioned. What are they?
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by mister__big
IC Hanoi's minibar is indeed quite mediocre. Liquor-wise there is only a small bottle of white wine inside, and I've never seen the 2 bottles of hard liquor that you mentioned. What are they?
There are two .375l bottles listed on the minibar menu, Chivas and something else. Never had it in my RA minibar.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx
There are two .375l bottles listed on the minibar menu, Chivas and something else. Never had it in my RA minibar.
I've never seen them either, even when I requested for a last minute change of rooms during check-in. I assume they simply don't exist in any minibar and they just didn't update the menu.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:29 am

IC Cannes also removes items from the minibar...

Anyway, they do not even clean the toilets (at least during my last stay) so I do not expect them to give me alcohol anyway....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.