FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Chicago Master Thread [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/565563-ic-chicago-master-thread-merged.html)

Frequent_Flyer1 Feb 13, 2010 9:51 am

I've a reservation at the IC Chicago for next week and just noticed on the website that the hotel seems to charge for access to the health & fitness center ("$12.00 per day and $16.00 per stay"). Can anyone confirm that this charge is waived for RA?

Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ve-thread.html

Thank you
FLYGVA
Moderator IHG Forum

jhanserd Feb 13, 2010 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1 (Post 13383606)
I've a reservation at the IC Chicago for next week and just noticed on the website that the hotel seems to charge for access to the health & fitness center ("$12.00 per day and $16.00 per stay"). Can anyone confirm that this charge is waived for RA?

I have stayed in this hotel numerous times and that fee will be waived if you are RA.

Pakse Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am

Howdy,

I second that - I have also stayed here many times and always had the charges waived. The pool is GREAT, and the locker room is excellent (even has a suit dryer).

You'll love it. I've always been upgraded to a full suite - top floor.

Love this property.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

nmenaker Feb 14, 2010 11:51 am

My #1 1K GF just stayed there some girlfriends, two rooms, they were charged the 12.00$ a day fee but were given TWO days for the one payment. Still, for a gym in a hotel it should be free. It isn't an outside firm or anything. They are only Ambassadors

kavok Feb 14, 2010 8:06 pm

This hotel is in one of my favorite locations. Great shopping and sights right out the front door. Lots of good eateries too, and one of my personal favorites watering holes, Billy Goat Tavern, is right there. ^

Frequent_Flyer1 Feb 15, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks for all your replies! ^

Yes, based on the reports here I'm looking forward to the hotel, especially as it's my first time here (usually business only takes me to NYC or to SFO). Have booked a Magnificient Mile Suite for a week, so I'll see... ;)

playbbg Feb 15, 2010 11:58 am

I I just stayed here for the first time this weekend and was COMPLETELY unimpressed. Now to qualify this, I am a Hilton Diamond, SPG PLT, and Marriott PLT (nothing on IHC), but i wanted them to impress me so i have some reason to give business to IHC in the future. We asked for an upgrade (and were willing to pay for it) so they showed us a deluxe room in the old tower and it was disgusting. Large room, but musty, old, grungy and looked like a B&B down an old country road. So, we chose to stick with our regular room in the "new tower". First, its TINY, and by TINY i mean like cruise ship tiny. For a 4.5 star hotel, i would expect even the regular rooms to at least have a standard size. Further, and most gross, was the bathroom. It was tiny, the mini-tub looked like it hasn't been touched since 1950 and, the worst part, is the toilet. The toilet didn't have a back!!!!! It was, just the metal pipes with the flusher like you would see in a stadium. HOW COULD THIS BE!!?!?!?! Other things... the bed was rock hard, we had to beg and plead for them to make up the room, the toiletries didn't match (which makes ya think...) and the walls were paper thin.

Maybe I expected more because its supposed to be a top property and I not as familiar with what top property means to IHC, but for the money (having stayed at many Chicago hotels), I would choose: Both Westins, the Wit, both Courtyards (the one next door is awesome comparatively), the Hyatt, both W's, the James, The Dana, the Marriott, the Palmer House and Drake, and the Conrad (probably many more, that I just have not stayed at).

Man, that last stay makes me happy I give my business to the other three chains.

on a positive note, they do have my favorite wine bar in the city in their lobby. the Eno wine bar is the best place to go for cheese, chocolate and wine!

kell113 Feb 23, 2010 6:07 pm

chicago suites

does anybody know which suites are best at the intercontinental hotel in chicago? the historic suites or the tower suites?

thanks in advance!!!

jhanserd Feb 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by kell113 (Post 13450391)
does anybody know which suites are best at the intercontinental hotel in chicago? the historic suites or the tower suites?

thanks in advance!!!

From my stays I prefer the suites in the historic tower. There are several choices for suites. I would read the RA forum explaining upgrades and search for IC Chicago for more insight. I can tell you any of the 4000 rooms are nice.

J

kavok Feb 24, 2010 7:23 pm

I also like the historic tower better. The older room just felt more IC to me. :)

darby1970 Feb 24, 2010 9:48 pm

I am confuses by prior posters' reference to suites 4000. I stayed in room 4000 last month and it took up the entire 40th floor of the historic tower , so I do not believe there are other 4000 suites . On the elevator there is a button for the 41st and 42nd floors , but I was told they were only used for private parties not overnight guests.

travelindave Feb 25, 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by darby1970 (Post 13459686)
I am confuses by prior posters' reference to suites 4000. I stayed in room 4000 last month and it took up the entire 40th floor of the historic tower , so I do not believe there are other 4000 suites . On the elevator there is a button for the 41st and 42nd floors , but I was told they were only used for private parties not overnight guests.

4100 is also an "entire floor" suite...my personal favorite and logged as my request each time I visit. Some of the 1 bedroom suites on 24-38 are also very nice. I was there last week and they were remodeling the historic tower rooms above 27 I believe.

kell113 Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am

thanks for the advice all!!!

jhanserd Feb 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by darby1970 (Post 13459686)

My reference was to the 4000 suites (4000,4100,4200)etc... sorry for the confusion.

Has anyone had a really nice suite on the other side of the hotel?

nicolas75 Feb 27, 2010 5:34 pm

I always have been upgraded to the corner suites of the historic tower.

They are quite large (living room, bedroom, 2 bathrooms), elegantly decorated and very well equipped.