Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
$26.44 amenity fee daily as of Nov 2023

Amenity fee includes complimentary local calls, access to Dive In movies and refreshments at the pool on Fridays and Saturdays, pressing of two items with 24 hour turnaround, access to PressReader, 10 percent off to Uno & Due Pizzeria, Private Shopping via text with Hugo Boss at 331-345-1127.
Print Wikipost

IC Chicago Master Thread [merged]

Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Destination fee is now 15. And yes, they update it on your existing reservations. You'd think they couldn't do that, but they can. And do. I think that is the third increase in the last few months. I can't imagine it impacts their bookings, so there really isn't any reason for them to stop (or stop increasing it). Maybe a few people stop staying there, but they'll easily make that up by the 15 dollar charge to everyone else. :/
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Can anybody advise what the required type is here for an Ambassador category upgrade to a suite and whether suite upgrades will only happen within the same tower - ie will a King Premier View Executive Tower upgrade to the King Suite Grand Tower or King Suite Executive Tower?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I found this a pretty drab IC. If people think it's one of the best in the US they certainly haven't experienced them outside the US.

I booked a classic king and was upgraded to a high floor executive king on the day according to the app - but this was only on the 18th floor so hardly classifies as a high floor.

Reception was pretty slow despite there only being 1-2 people waiting each time. I received a fruit platter in the room consisting of a pear, a banana and an apple.

There was certainly nothing magical about the stay - it was just an average hotel. I did notice that I however didn't have a destination fee on my bill despite this showing at the time of booking.
smithit likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:28 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Is this the best IHG hotel in downtown Chicago even with Kimpton now on the board?

Looking at a 4-night stay in May for vacation—first time to Chicago.

was also thinking about the Ritz-Carlton....

I am Spire AMB and prefer to book IHG hotels!
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by 355F1
Is this the best IHG hotel in downtown Chicago even with Kimpton now on the board?

Looking at a 4-night stay in May for vacation—first time to Chicago.

was also thinking about the Ritz-Carlton....

I am Spire AMB and prefer to book IHG hotels!
Ritz much better hotel. IC or Kimpton Palomar (or even Monaco) better location.

None of the IHG hotels have a club.

IC is tired and doesn't do anything for elites. Palomar will at least upgrade you to a suite pre-arrival if you ask, but be aware, Kimpton is a per-friendly chain so if you don't like that sort of thing, request a pet-free room.

Palomar is right next to the red line making is easy to hop on the El.

All in all, I'd chose Palomar.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Ritz much better hotel. IC or Kimpton Palomar (or even Monaco) better location.

None of the IHG hotels have a club.

IC is tired and doesn't do anything for elites. Palomar will at least upgrade you to a suite pre-arrival if you ask, but be aware, Kimpton is a per-friendly chain so if you don't like that sort of thing, request a pet-free room.

Palomar is right next to the red line making is easy to hop on the El.

All in all, I'd chose Palomar.
Depends on what you like in a location. I personally love the location of the IC because I like being on the Mag Mile. Some of my favorite places (the bars at the Peninsula and Park Hyatt, Gibson's Steakhouse) are an easy walk and if I'm traveling with someone who likes shopping, it's a great place to be.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:45 am

Any recent stays ? A little concerned because the general gist on here, though somewhat dated , seems to be that the IC is a little lacking when it comes to RA benefits/recognition.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
If I have a choice between rooms that have the same nightly rate, which is the better option?

1. Standard Classic (bed type assigned at check in)
2. King Grand Tower

Isn't the Grand Tower in the center facing Michigan Ave? I would rather be in the north or south tower. As platinum I have been given a nicer room in the north tower on previous stays, but I expect for this upcoming stay the hotel will be very busy,and possibly sold out, which likely means I get what I book.

Any thoughts or comments?
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Standard Classic and King Grand Tower are literally the same category. The Grand Tower is the small tower on the left side when you enter the lobby from Michigan Ave
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: British Airways Gold; Avianca Gold; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire Ambassador
Booked an ambassador weekend stay for my Dad and his partner last weekend.
Good: upgrades honoured.

Bad: Services absent; basically using COVID to avoid service. Plastic cups in rooms and some bottles of water. Breakfast area sounds very poor. Hotel is battered.

He won't be back. Will be using Marriotts in Chicago next time.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
I was just looking at hotels in Chicago on the IHG app for next week for a meeting I have coming up and noticed the IC Chicago states "no rooms available until Dec 2022". Does anyone know what's going on at the IC Chicago? Renovations or whatever?
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by madipides
I was just looking at hotels in Chicago on the IHG app for next week for a meeting I have coming up and noticed the IC Chicago states "no rooms available until Dec 2022". Does anyone know what's going on at the IC Chicago? Renovations or whatever?
Im able to book a room there in Oct and Nov for random dates. No issue. Check your app again.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ProjectSunburst
Im able to book a room there in Oct and Nov for random dates. No issue. Check your app again.
I try again and now it says not available for selected dates... must be an IT issue. Thanks!
ProjectSunburst likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 3:04 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Annoying they seem to charge a $20/nt "amenity fee" on reward stays. Probably why no nights available for my dates at the Kimptons.
Old May 6, 2023, 4:19 pm

I haven't stayed here in awhile. Is there any difference between the 2 towers?

Looks like the amenity fee, even for diamond ambasadors on points night is $30+ after taxes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.