Search
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: khabah
Intercontinental Hong Kong - 香港洲際酒店
18 Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel. (Hong Kong): +852-2721-1211
Website (link)

AS OF APRIL 20TH, 2020, INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG HAS CEASED OPERATIONS IN ORDER TO COMMENCE A TWO-YEAR RENOVATION PROGRAM. IT WILL RELAUNCH AT A TO-BE-DETERMINED DATE IN 2022 AS REGENT HONG KONG.

NOTE: This property was supposed close ~12 months for refurbishment sometime after Chinese New Year (5 Feb) in 2020. It seems the moved the date (again). Rooms are currently (Sep19) bookable in Aug20)

500 rooms including 87 suites; best Hong Kong and Victoria Harbour viewsviews
. . .
(starting price ~HKD 2,249.10 / $288 USD)
Check in: 2pm (“Early check in unavailable”). It seems that with Royal Ambassador status they let you check in early.
Check out: 12pm (“Late check out unavailable” but not so IME - with Amassador or Royal Ambassador late checkout seems possible.
One complimentary parking space per room, valet parking available (HKD80 per hour for non-restaurant patrons or per additional hour)
Service Animals allowed
2 accessible guestrooms on the low floor of the hotel
Executive rooms
Club Intercontinental Executive Lounge (generally significant extra charge)
Complimentary customized Android smartphone capable of WiFi hot spot use in room (no need to buy local SIM) - seems no longer to be true as of Sep19
Link to 5 page PDF Hotel information sheet

Transportation:

From / to HKG airport:
Hotel limo (Mercedes) HKD $900 + 10% (courtesy WiFi Hot spot, water, reading material)
Hong Kong Cityflyer A21 stops at both ICHK and ICGS - 33HKD (see link for map of stops)
(ICHK) Stops on Salisbury Road outside hotel, take the MTR underpass to cross road.
(ICGS) Stops on Mody Road
https://www.hongkong.net/transportation/to-from-airport/bus/a21
Train charge (one way): 90.00 HKD (train to Kowloon Station + MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui or taxi, ~90 min), discounts for more than 1 person traveling together,you can buy ticket at arrival train station. Taxi from train station to hotel approx 40 HK$. Train every 12 min, 20 min traveltime, plus 10-15 min for taxi to hotel
Urban (red) Taxi charge (one way): 300.00 HKD (~$38 USD / 30min) (link to HKG Taxi rate charts)
Private transfer ~$99-$110 USD / 30min one way ( link)

Dining:

Lobby Lounge: 7 am - 1230 am
Harbourside: 6 am - 1230 am, casual dining (breakfast and lunch buffet, seafood dinner buffet 6 - 1030 pm, Sunday Champagne brunch 1130 am - 3 pm)
NOBU Restaurant: 1200 - 230 pm, 6 - 11 pm (new style Japanese)
Rech by Alain Ducasse: 6 pm - 11 pm (French seafood)
The Steakhouse Winebar and Grill: 6 - 11 pm (International beef & wines)
Yan Toh Heen: 12- 3 pm, 6 - 1130pm (2 Michelin stars Cantonese)

Services:

Concierge 24 hrs (Louis Baleros, Chief Concierge)
House Doctor available
Full Business Centre (staffed, secretarial services)
Fitness Centre
Spa
Limousine service
Laundry daily same day service

“The outdoor swimming pool will undergo annual maintenance from January 22 - February 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor spa pool.” and “The outdoor spa pools will undergo annual maintenance from February 26 - March 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor swimming p” (sic).
Print Wikipost

IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by stimpy
I agree with the others who imply that you aren't going to really enjoy this hotel on a points stay. It is possibly the worst IC in the world to use points at. You won't get any of the usual AMB or RA benefits and you will end up in the lowest category room likely without any upgrade at all. However it is one of the best IC's in the world if you buy a room, especially a harbor view room.
We've stayed here twice as a family, on points or certs...and we've had a great time. Never once been given a harbour view room, but we've taken in the harbour view from the lobby lounge -- pricey, yes...although not as pricey as the upgrade from the basic room as discussed above. First time we stayed, we were upgraded (as a plat!!) to a very large room (still no view), although I don't think it was a suite.

The service is excellent except for the last time, when I asked for a cab to be booked for an early departure, and it wasn't -- we had to wait 30 minutes for a cab, which was getting me wound up. The rooftop pool is fabulous, and we are great fans of lunch/ dimsum at Yan Toh Heen.

As a non-RA/ Amb, I actually think it's great value and use of points. And I don't have to feel as if I'm "not getting" my due benefits.

tb
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
I agree with the others who imply that you aren't going to really enjoy this hotel on a points stay. It is possibly the worst IC in the world to use points at. You won't get any of the usual AMB or RA benefits and you will end up in the lowest category room likely without any upgrade at all. However it is one of the best IC's in the world if you buy a room, especially a harbor view room.
When is your last stay? How many times have you stayed in there?
I have already got informed they upgraded to suite my next reward stay in this month. And past few years, they have been offer me complimentary mini-bar as RA benefit. I believe they are one of the BEST IC in the world to use point at. Absolutely they are respecting RA and regular guest.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Raynyan
When is your last stay? How many times have you stayed in there?
I have already got informed they upgraded to suite my next reward stay in this month. And past few years, they have been offer me complimentary mini-bar as RA benefit. I believe they are one of the BEST IC in the world to use point at. Absolutely they are respecting RA and regular guest.
My last stay was a few months ago and I've stayed many times. But yes my last reward stay was many years ago. I've followed threads here but haven't seen an improvement on award stays. As others said here, no one is getting Harbor views on an award stay. But if they are now giving mini-bar, then that's certainly an improvement.

However the poster I replied to is not RA, nor AMB. Secondly, the BEST IC's on award stays give FULL RA benefits including Club access, 8AM check in, free movie, suite upgrade, mini-bar, etc, on every stay. No exceptions. In other words the same as paid stays. This hotel does not appear to do all that even if they have improved recently.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:05 pm

My last stay was a few months ago and I've stayed many times. But yes my last reward stay was many years ago. I've followed threads here but haven't seen an improvement on award stays. As others said here, no one is getting Harbor views on an award stay. But if they are now giving mini-bar, then that's certainly an improvement.
Here I put the image that my next reward stay booking info in IHG iPhone APP, FYR. (Hid the detailed date)

Indeed almost my reward stay was the Superior Junior Suite. But sometimes they gave me the Deluxe Junior Suite. Yes, Harbour Views.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Indeed almost my reward stay was the Superior Junior Suite. But sometimes they gave me the Deluxe Junior Suite. Yes, Harbour Views.
Thats great that it works for you, but again the poster is not RA. He is just IHG Platinum. And you can scroll up to see a another poster in post #509 said he never gets Harbor view on award stays.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats great that it works for you, but again the poster is not RA. He is just IHG Platinum. And you can scroll up to see a another poster in post #509 said he never gets Harbor view on award stays.
A friend managed to talk his way to Harbor View last year with a 4 nights stay booked as the following:

1 pay, used the BOGO for the free weekend, then a Chase Visa free night, followed by a 50K pts booking.

He got the Harbor View but not a suite of any kind. He just has the $250 a year paid status.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Although I would argue that as a non-RA, the difference between what one gets with a paid/ reward stay is even slighter, if anything, and therefore it makes even more sense to book rewards here as non super duper IHG member.

I can see the argument that if one definitely wants a harbour view, then it might make more sense to pay: the differential between paid and reward stay then is much bigger.

tb
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:17 pm

We're headed there next month and have 2 different reservations (me for 1st two nights and wife for 2nd two night). We have the King Deluxe City View and used our points obtained from the credit card signup.

It seems that this hotel doesn't generally offer members at Plat. or Ambassador (and I'm not very familiar with IHG I'll admit) according to this thread.

But what I don't understand is that isn't this a published benefit? I know the little asterisk points to #3 and then you read the fine print and it says that "subject to availability".

What is an upgrade considered? Does a room upgrade to a suite? Or is that such a different type that they try to say it's not apples to apples. Do they just say it's not a benefit that they offer, even if the program says they should? How do they get away with that?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:43 pm

Is that room bookable online or did you have to call someone to get it? This is a reward night I believe?

Here I put the image that my next reward stay booking info in IHG iPhone APP, FYR. (Hid the detailed date)

Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by farbster
Is that room bookable online or did you have to call someone to get it? This is a reward night I believe?
Usually, Superior Junior Suite seems to be using for upgrade only.
Once RA booked Superior Plaza View Room, will be upgrade to there.
This is my actual reservation data of reward night.

I'm not sure about your Rewards Club/Ambassador status or frequency of stay in this hotel, but this hotel absolutely respect to elite/regular guest. If you are not RA and regular guest, you should not expect the upgrade so much.

Last edited by Raynyan; Jul 11, 2014 at 9:16 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:00 am

I'm staying here for two nights using Chase certificates in a few weeks as an IHG platinum. Not expecting a free upgrade to harbor view room but was hoping someone has had a recent data point of the price to upgrade at checkin. I had read that the advance pricing was outrageous so didn't bother, but was hoping to get a deal for under $75 a night.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by farbster
We're headed there next month and have 2 different reservations (me for 1st two nights and wife for 2nd two night). We have the King Deluxe City View and used our points obtained from the credit card signup.

It seems that this hotel doesn't generally offer members at Plat. or Ambassador (and I'm not very familiar with IHG I'll admit) according to this thread.

But what I don't understand is that isn't this a published benefit? I know the little asterisk points to #3 and then you read the fine print and it says that "subject to availability".

What is an upgrade considered? Does a room upgrade to a suite? Or is that such a different type that they try to say it's not apples to apples. Do they just say it's not a benefit that they offer, even if the program says they should? How do they get away with that?

Thanks!
What published benefits are you talking about?

Any upgrade is based on Availability as you have read the fine print.

Upgrade to suites? what are you smoking?

You have already read the fine print - any upgrade is based upon availability. So what do you mean by "How do they get away with that"?

If you are just a Plat, you should lower your expectation, by a lot.

The hotel is more than 40 years old structure. The selling point is the location - best harbor view in Hong Kong. Standard rooms without harbor view are very basic.

Had the Crowne Plaza in Causeway Bay not raised its point level to 45K, that hotel is a much better choice for those who have no RA status. CP upgrades Plat to Happy Valley (race course) view and gives lounge access (the lounge actually is the bar) while Plats get nothing at IC.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 13, 2014 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:29 am

I have a couple of nights upcoming using the Chase certificates and reached out to ask about an upgrade to harborview. Was offered a price of HK$900 + 10% per night. Only staying for two nights. Would you say that's worth doing? The hotel is sold out online so doubt I'd be able to get one at checkin. Basically, is the view that meaningful to have a good experience here.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by terpfan101
I have a couple of nights upcoming using the Chase certificates and reached out to ask about an upgrade to harborview. Was offered a price of HK$900 + 10% per night. Only staying for two nights. Would you say that's worth doing? The hotel is sold out online so doubt I'd be able to get one at checkin. Basically, is the view that meaningful to have a good experience here.
The view is one of the best in Hong Kong. Personally I would take the offer.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:42 am

Oh, I have very low expectations based on the conversations here. I also have very little to no stay history with IHG, and my status (fwiw) is based on a credit card...

Hopefully someone can illuminate the upgrade policy? Are upgrades available on award stays or only paid stays?

From what I can gather from reading prior posts, they'll sell you the upgrade to a Harbor View room, but shouldn't platinums get that as their benefit? Or is everyone complaining about not getting an upgrade and they don't realize it is only for paid stays?

I don't smoke as it's a disgusting habit and doesn't do well for my breathing and asthma.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Happy
What published benefits are you talking about?

Any upgrade is based on Availability as you have read the fine print.

Upgrade to suites? what are you smoking?

You have already read the fine print - any upgrade is based upon availability. So what do you mean by "How do they get away with that"?

If you are just a Plat, you should lower your expectation, by a lot.

The hotel is more than 40 years old structure. The selling point is the location - best harbor view in Hong Kong. Standard rooms without harbor view are very basic.

Had the Crowne Plaza in Causeway Bay not raised its point level to 45K, that hotel is a much better choice for those who have no RA status. CP upgrades Plat to Happy Valley (race course) view and gives lounge access (the lounge actually is the bar) while Plats get nothing at IC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.