FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Hong Kong Master Thread - after February 01, 2010 [merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/555698-ic-hong-kong-master-thread-after-february-01-2010-merged.html)

777 global mile hound Feb 6, 10 5:58 pm

IC Hong Kong Master Thread - after February 01, 2010 [merged]
 

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 12811175)
Hi guys


It is about a 35 min taxi drive from the airport and costs about $250HKD to get there.

Regards AKS120

What a great stay you had I am envious.
I expect welfare squatter treatment as one of those shabby RAs useing points :(
Can one get that rate of $250 HKD leaving from the front entrance of the hotel back to the airport?
Seems very reasonable to me.
Does anyone have the hotels email address?
Would like to pay for club access.Does anyone know the operating hours of the club.
PC Ambassador reservations say they have no information on the hotel and to call the hotel


Note from Modeator:
Older post prior to this post could be found in the archive thread of this property:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...01-2010-a.html

Thank you
FLYGVA

Comet21 Feb 6, 10 8:00 pm


Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 13340297)
What a great stay you had I am envious.
I expect welfare squatter treatment as one of those shabby RAs useing points :(
Can one get that rate of $250 HKD leaving from the front entrance of the hotel back to the airport?
Seems very reasonable to me.
Does anyone have the hotels email address?
Would like to pay for club access.Does anyone know the operating hours of the club.
PC Ambassador reservations say they have no information on the hotel and to call the hotel

Indeed $250 HKD sounds really good for a transport from the airport.

Here's the info that was in the signature of one of the emails I received from guest relations.

INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Hotel Tel: + 852 2721 1211
Hotel Fax: + 852 2739 4546
E-mail: [email protected]

777 global mile hound Feb 6, 10 10:32 pm


Originally Posted by Comet21 (Post 13340803)
Indeed $250 HKD sounds really good for a transport from the airport.

Here's the info that was in the signature of one of the emails I received from guest relations.

INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG
18 Salisbury Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong

Hotel Tel: + 852 2721 1211
Hotel Fax: + 852 2739 4546
E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks for the post is a taxi typically more?

777 global mile hound Feb 7, 10 9:42 pm

What to do
 
Hi all
Probably a no brainer for the short time I am there
I need some FT experts to help me make the final decision
Here are the choices for a one night layover I will be arriving at the HK airport at 6:00 PM

• Marriott Skyway Hotelb (very well rated/new)
Near to the airport where my flight takes off at 10:30 AM the next day
Total cost including taxes and executive club access 225.00 US dollars /Free airport shuttle/Earn MR points on stay
Skip access club lounge save approx 70 dollars

• InterContinental Hong Kong Kowloon
Award Stay arrive 8 PM?
Club access single or double occupancy 130 US dollars (why it isn’t less for one baffles me)
Round trip transportation costs to and from leave hotel 7:30 AM on return

• Grand Hyatt Hong Kong
Award Stay arrive approx 8 PM?
Free club access/free wireless
Round trip transportation costs to and from leave hotel 7:30 AM on return

Would the experience at either the IC or Hyatt be worth the added costs?
Thanks for the feedback

jpdx Feb 7, 10 10:34 pm

Why do you need club access for a 8pm arrival/7am departure? Seems like a waste. IC HK's main selling point (the view) doesn't apply to award stays (as there is a 95% chance that they'll give you a room with no view). I'd go with the Hyatt (good value on FFN or points).

Chinatrvl Feb 7, 10 11:00 pm


Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 13346512)
Hi all
Probably a no brainer for the short time I am there
I need some FT experts to help me make the final decision
Here are the choices for a one night layover I will be arriving at the HK airport at 6:00 PM

Marriott or
Novotel Citygate http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...te/index.shtml Next to airport express, with a big mall = food options and evening entertainment.
Doesn't make any sense to go to town, in my opinion, and even less to go to hong kong island. :)
Why club access for 8 pm arrival and 7.30 am departure?

777 global mile hound Feb 8, 10 12:50 am


Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 13346737)
Why do you need club access for a 8pm arrival/7am departure? Seems like a waste. IC HK's main selling point (the view) doesn't apply to award stays (as there is a 95% chance that they'll give you a room with no view). I'd go with the Hyatt (good value on FFN or points).

Thanks that makes a lot of sense if the main deal is the view
Ok the IC is out now its down to the Marriott or the Hyatt

777 global mile hound Feb 8, 10 12:52 am


Originally Posted by Chinatrvl (Post 13346820)
Marriott or
Novotel Citygate http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...te/index.shtml Next to airport express, with a big mall = food options and evening entertainment.
Doesn't make any sense to go to town, in my opinion, and even less to go to hong kong island. :)
Why club access for 8 pm arrival and 7.30 am departure?

Thanks for making me realize its probably not the best option.I suppose the free nights were calling me at the IC and the Hyatt :)
Its nice to have complimentary beverages wifi in the lounge and breakfast when you are
rushing out to the airport in the AM and don't want to wait.
Perhaps it is best to grab some beverages outside the lounge and take breakfast downstairs in the AM
I did the Novotel the last time.Like it a lot.
However the Marriott looks great too and at least I would get a few points thrown my way
Grand Hyatt too is the one other possible consideration

stimpy Feb 8, 10 2:56 am


Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound (Post 13346512)
I need some FT experts to help me make the final decision Here are the choices for a one night layover I will be arriving at the HK airport at 6:00 PM

Would the experience at either the IC or Hyatt be worth the added costs?
Thanks for the feedback

The experience at these hotels would not be worth the effort. I would stay at an airport hotel and enjoy one of airport lounges assuming you have access. However, if you want to party all night in Hong Kong, then perhaps it would be worth the effort to go into the city.

However I would probably recommend a completely different hotel. Check out the Langham Place and book a Club room. It is a party scene in itself and the neighborhood is extremely vibrant. And it is a shorter taxi ride to the airport. The GH would be the longest ride.

BA038_Passenger Feb 8, 10 9:25 am


Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 13347361)
The experience at these hotels would not be worth the effort. I would stay at an airport hotel and enjoy one of airport lounges assuming you have access. However, if you want to party all night in Hong Kong, then perhaps it would be worth the effort to go into the city.

However I would probably recommend a completely different hotel. Check out the Langham Place and book a Club room. It is a party scene in itself and the neighborhood is extremely vibrant. And it is a shorter taxi ride to the airport. The GH would be the longest ride.

Would that be the Langham next to Aqua? I had a really good meal there this weekend, and the view from the Bar is amazing!

stimpy Feb 8, 10 9:32 am


Originally Posted by BA038_Passenger (Post 13348887)
Would that be the Langham next to Aqua? I had a really good meal there this weekend, and the view from the Bar is amazing!

No, I think that is the old Langham. I have never stayed there so I don't know if it is good or not. I was referring to the new hotel in the huge Langham Place mall in Mong Kok.

777 global mile hound Feb 8, 10 9:44 am


Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 13347361)
The experience at these hotels would not be worth the effort. I would stay at an airport hotel and enjoy one of airport lounges assuming you have access. However, if you want to party all night in Hong Kong, then perhaps it would be worth the effort to go into the city.

However I would probably recommend a completely different hotel. Check out the Langham Place and book a Club room. It is a party scene in itself and the neighborhood is extremely vibrant. And it is a shorter taxi ride to the airport. The GH would be the longest ride.

Thanks for the wake up call it was very helpful to know that GH is yet further from the airport
I will have more then a few long party time weeks in Sydney Melbourne and Auckland and in such a short time I have decided to play safe and overnight at the airport on my way to Tokyo and the Grand Hyatt next day.

The reasons I won't go to the IC is based on futher research here and elsewhere

Select Dated rooms that smell
Poor Royal Ambassador treatment on reward bookings
Overcharging on lounge access if one person

Personal Reasons: not worried about a view on a layover
Round trip transporation costs would need to make it a not to miss experience
This will be my first Marriott stay in years

Blueboys999 Feb 15, 10 2:13 am

When are you actually upgraded?
 
I'm completely new at this so please be kind!

I joined the AMB club a few months ago and last night made an online booking for a Superior Contemporary Harbour View room at the end of this month. In hindsight, I think I should have booked a deluxe room so I could use the voucher to upgrade to a Junior Suite.

I called Intercontinental reservations this morning to see if I could pay the extra for a Deluxe room and was told that "you've already been upgraded to a Deluxe because of your status" (I have no other status with IHG).

Does this mean that I don't have to use the voucher if I'm happy with the deluxe room (I realise I won't get the BOGOF) and, if I do use the voucher, will that now put me in a junior suite?

EDIT: I've now received an additional reservation confirmation e-mail showing that my room is a Deluxe at the same rate I selected for the Superior room. I'm confused!

Comet21 Feb 15, 10 5:27 am

I'd just email the hotel reservations to ask which room you'll need to book in order to get the junior suite. The ambassador program guarantees you a 1 level upgrade usually at check-in, but you can contact the hotel directly to find out what to expect.

Chinatrvl Feb 15, 10 5:38 am


Originally Posted by Blueboys999 (Post 13391738)
I'm completely new at this so please be kind!

I joined the AMB club a few months ago and last night made an online booking for a Superior Contemporary Harbour View room at the end of this month. In hindsight, I think I should have booked a deluxe room so I could use the voucher to upgrade to a Junior Suite.

I called Intercontinental reservations this morning to see if I could pay the extra for a Deluxe room and was told that "you've already been upgraded to a Deluxe because of your status" (I have no other status with IHG).

Does this mean that I don't have to use the voucher if I'm happy with the deluxe room (I realise I won't get the BOGOF) and, if I do use the voucher, will that now put me in a junior suite?

EDIT: I've now received an additional reservation confirmation e-mail showing that my room is a Deluxe at the same rate I selected for the Superior room. I'm confused!

May I ask what voucher you are talking about?

You can use the BOGO (so far) for all bookings (on weekends) except suite bookings. When you book a "room" and get upgraded to a suite, you can still use the BOGO.

Your Ambassador status will always give you a 1-level upgrade. In HKGs case, from superior to deluxe harbour view, or deluxe harbour view to (partial) harbour view junior suite, respectively.

I would stick to your original booking in your case. - Just my opinion :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:43 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.