Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: khabah
Intercontinental Hong Kong - 香港洲際酒店
18 Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel. (Hong Kong): +852-2721-1211
Website (link)

AS OF APRIL 20TH, 2020, INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG HAS CEASED OPERATIONS IN ORDER TO COMMENCE A TWO-YEAR RENOVATION PROGRAM. IT WILL RELAUNCH AT A TO-BE-DETERMINED DATE IN 2022 AS REGENT HONG KONG.

NOTE: This property was supposed close ~12 months for refurbishment sometime after Chinese New Year (5 Feb) in 2020. It seems the moved the date (again). Rooms are currently (Sep19) bookable in Aug20)

500 rooms including 87 suites; best Hong Kong and Victoria Harbour viewsviews
. . .
(starting price ~HKD 2,249.10 / $288 USD)
Check in: 2pm (“Early check in unavailable”). It seems that with Royal Ambassador status they let you check in early.
Check out: 12pm (“Late check out unavailable” but not so IME - with Amassador or Royal Ambassador late checkout seems possible.
One complimentary parking space per room, valet parking available (HKD80 per hour for non-restaurant patrons or per additional hour)
Service Animals allowed
2 accessible guestrooms on the low floor of the hotel
Executive rooms
Club Intercontinental Executive Lounge (generally significant extra charge)
Complimentary customized Android smartphone capable of WiFi hot spot use in room (no need to buy local SIM) - seems no longer to be true as of Sep19
Link to 5 page PDF Hotel information sheet

Transportation:

From / to HKG airport:
Hotel limo (Mercedes) HKD $900 + 10% (courtesy WiFi Hot spot, water, reading material)
Hong Kong Cityflyer A21 stops at both ICHK and ICGS - 33HKD (see link for map of stops)
(ICHK) Stops on Salisbury Road outside hotel, take the MTR underpass to cross road.
(ICGS) Stops on Mody Road
https://www.hongkong.net/transportation/to-from-airport/bus/a21
Train charge (one way): 90.00 HKD (train to Kowloon Station + MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui or taxi, ~90 min), discounts for more than 1 person traveling together,you can buy ticket at arrival train station. Taxi from train station to hotel approx 40 HK$. Train every 12 min, 20 min traveltime, plus 10-15 min for taxi to hotel
Urban (red) Taxi charge (one way): 300.00 HKD (~$38 USD / 30min) (link to HKG Taxi rate charts)
Private transfer ~$99-$110 USD / 30min one way ( link)

Dining:

Lobby Lounge: 7 am - 1230 am
Harbourside: 6 am - 1230 am, casual dining (breakfast and lunch buffet, seafood dinner buffet 6 - 1030 pm, Sunday Champagne brunch 1130 am - 3 pm)
NOBU Restaurant: 1200 - 230 pm, 6 - 11 pm (new style Japanese)
Rech by Alain Ducasse: 6 pm - 11 pm (French seafood)
The Steakhouse Winebar and Grill: 6 - 11 pm (International beef & wines)
Yan Toh Heen: 12- 3 pm, 6 - 1130pm (2 Michelin stars Cantonese)

Services:

Concierge 24 hrs (Louis Baleros, Chief Concierge)
House Doctor available
Full Business Centre (staffed, secretarial services)
Fitness Centre
Spa
Limousine service
Laundry daily same day service

“The outdoor swimming pool will undergo annual maintenance from January 22 - February 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor spa pool.” and “The outdoor spa pools will undergo annual maintenance from February 26 - March 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor swimming p” (sic).
Print Wikipost

IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022)

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jacisme
Thanks a ton for the info scubaccr! Followups:

When you say "RA award nights" are you referencing RA and A award (bogo) nights? Or just ROYAL A nights?
refers to an RA elite booking an award night and occupying the room. A BOGO night despite being a free night, is treated as paid night for upgrade benefit purposes whether your satus is RA or Plain Ambassador

----

From your feedback I currently believe as follows:

1st - cash for intercontinental harbor view room - free one class upgrade YES

2nd - bogo free weekend night from ambassador status purchase - free one class upgrade YES

Then I will have to switch rooms, agree to a cash upgrade, or get lucky and get a free upgrade for nights 3 and 4 when using: IC-HK is strict on award nights and follows IHG t+c's that no upgrade benefit is due even for Spire/Platinum Ambassadors

3rd - Chase free night certificate

4th - 50,000 IHG points

----

Also am I correct in understanding that ROYAL ambassador status gives you club lounge access?
Does ambassador status do that (or in my case, Ambassador status with Platinum IHG status)?
any non-RA elite will need to purchase Club Lounge access. This is offered at different rates for 1/2/3 persons in room

fyi The BOGO cert provided in wecome packs to RA and Ambassadors is identical

Thanks again!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:10 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by saint77
to get anything these days in HK for HKD 720 seems cheap, seems like a good deal

the Club Lounge is totally worth it if you and a guest will drink champagne for 2 hours in the evening + decent snacks, 1st rate service, afternoon tea, breakfast with a wide quality offering from English breakfast to congee or dim sum
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm struggling with the value proposition, though, since I'm basically going to be the only one enjoying it yet paying for 2 people...

I feel like I can put that ~US$200 spend to better use at the hotel's other facilities.

Should I reconsider?

CLG
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by CLG
Thanks for the recommendation. I'm struggling with the value proposition, though, since I'm basically going to be the only one enjoying it yet paying for 2 people...

I feel like I can put that ~US$200 spend to better use at the hotel's other facilities.

Should I reconsider?

CLG
Yes, you might want to reconsider, especially if you can find better value elsewhere. If you are looking for value, the ICHK lounge definitely does not have it. I had lounge access during my last stay (it was included in a special promotion with Virtuoso) and I would not have paid out of pocket for it. The breakfast selection is good. The buffet has a small variety of western and dim sum options. There's also a custom order menu where you can get eggs benedict or steak and eggs or corned beef hash. However, the quality is the same as your local HK cafe (i.e. I would have gotten the same spending ~$10 usd) - you're just paying to eat in a fancier seat. Drinks and snacks are only available at certain hours of the day - there's no all-day grazing. And the cocktail hour snacks are fancy - each one is individually plated and garnished but I didn't think it tasted that great. IMHO, there is no way for you to eat and drink $200usd/day to make it worth it. Now if you factor in the snootiness factor, it might make up the difference. It's exclusive and and there's never a ton of people there at any given time, and you're paying for some of that exclusivity.

If you intend on staying at the ICHK, pay for the harbourview upgrade, then eat elsewhere (for me, it's either harbourview or stay somewhere else - nothing in the hotel can offer you value for their base rates - rooms are dated and small, service is nearly nonexistent, inconvenient locale, etc). The only restaurant we tried in the hotel was Nobu and it was excellent (but we had been wanting to go to Nobu regardless of what hotel it was in). We ordered the tasting menu to share + 1 extra waygu steak entree. With drinks, it was about $200 usd and completely worth it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:15 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Yes, you might want to reconsider, especially if you can find better value elsewhere. If you are looking for value, the ICHK lounge definitely does not have it. I had lounge access during my last stay (it was included in a special promotion with Virtuoso) and I would not have paid out of pocket for it. The breakfast selection is good. The buffet has a small variety of western and dim sum options. There's also a custom order menu where you can get eggs benedict or steak and eggs or corned beef hash. However, the quality is the same as your local HK cafe (i.e. I would have gotten the same spending ~$10 usd) - you're just paying to eat in a fancier seat. Drinks and snacks are only available at certain hours of the day - there's no all-day grazing. And the cocktail hour snacks are fancy - each one is individually plated and garnished but I didn't think it tasted that great. IMHO, there is no way for you to eat and drink $200usd/day to make it worth it. Now if you factor in the snootiness factor, it might make up the difference. It's exclusive and and there's never a ton of people there at any given time, and you're paying for some of that exclusivity.

If you intend on staying at the ICHK, pay for the harbourview upgrade, then eat elsewhere (for me, it's either harbourview or stay somewhere else - nothing in the hotel can offer you value for their base rates - rooms are dated and small, service is nearly nonexistent, inconvenient locale, etc). The only restaurant we tried in the hotel was Nobu and it was excellent (but we had been wanting to go to Nobu regardless of what hotel it was in). We ordered the tasting menu to share + 1 extra waygu steak entree. With drinks, it was about $200 usd and completely worth it.
Thanks AtomicLush, this is exactly the kind of personal experience I hoped would be shared. ^ I could really care less about the snootiness factor of my lounging, just the quality.

Interestingly, I got an email back overnight after I responded to their last offer asking me for my smoking & bed preferences, and the club upgrade price dropped down to HK$1140 (including the 10% tax) / US$146. Still seems to be of mediocre value, but at least it's going in the right direction...

I was going to make a Nobu reservation myself, so I'm glad to hear that it was able to live up to the hype! Do you recommend any special requests, like seating location? This is my 1st time in Hong Kong and at a Nobu establishment.

CLG
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by CLG
I was going to make a Nobu reservation myself, so I'm glad to hear that it was able to live up to the hype! Do you recommend any special requests, like seating location? This is my 1st time in Hong Kong and at a Nobu establishment.
Interesting that they lowered the club price. Probably still a bit high for me personally, but maybe if they dropped it down to $100 usd or less.

As for Nobu, the restaurant is dark, probably to help facilitate the views of the harbour at dinner. So, yes, ask for window harbourview seats! And the seats that have harbourview are wooden bar stools at wooden round tables, so don't expect plush and luxurious seating. The booths look more comfortable, but don't have any discernible views. The food was amazing and our server was very attentive. This was my first time at Nobu, which is why we decided to share the tasting menu (yes, we ordered the tasting menu for ONE person, not two) and then added one waygu beef entree to be brought out at the same time as the included beef entree. That was more than enough food for the 2 of us. I can't imagine eating the tasting menu by myself - there was a LOT of food. That gave us a sample of their signature offerings and I believe they succeeded in showcasing some of their better dishes. But if you don't want their tasting menu - the yellowtail sashimi, tartar with caviar, and their Wood Oven A5 Japanese Wagyu filet (not on the tasting menu) was melt in your mouth delicious.

There are a ton of photos on open rice that show you the food and the tables:
http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/...g/photos/16938
Old Feb 17, 2016, 5:23 am
CLG

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Interesting that they lowered the club price. Probably still a bit high for me personally, but maybe if they dropped it down to $100 usd or less.

As for Nobu, the restaurant is dark, probably to help facilitate the views of the harbour at dinner. So, yes, ask for window harbourview seats! And the seats that have harbourview are wooden bar stools at wooden round tables, so don't expect plush and luxurious seating. The booths look more comfortable, but don't have any discernible views. The food was amazing and our server was very attentive. This was my first time at Nobu, which is why we decided to share the tasting menu (yes, we ordered the tasting menu for ONE person, not two) and then added one waygu beef entree to be brought out at the same time as the included beef entree. That was more than enough food for the 2 of us. I can't imagine eating the tasting menu by myself - there was a LOT of food. That gave us a sample of their signature offerings and I believe they succeeded in showcasing some of their better dishes. But if you don't want their tasting menu - the yellowtail sashimi, tartar with caviar, and their Wood Oven A5 Japanese Wagyu filet (not on the tasting menu) was melt in your mouth delicious.

There are a ton of photos on open rice that show you the food and the tables:
http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/...g/photos/16938
Now I'm really excited for my trip!

Reservations agent said no love on a window seat at the moment (a month out, seriously?), but they would try their best to accommodate it... Let's see how it all shakes out.

Thanks again,
CLG
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
A couple of questions if I may...

1. Is there still a lot of construction work going on around the hotel (seems to have been going on for years) and if so how noisy is it?

2. How do the rooms compare to the Grand Stamford (which I've stayed in) in terms of size and decor? I've stayed in a renovated room at the ICGS, so will I find the ICHK rooms dated in comparison?

Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:48 am

the construction is definitely still under way but the work hours seem strict and the windows at IC HK are fairly well sound-proofed

the rooms are a bit dated but overall IC HK is a classier hotel

that said, the Club Lounge at ICGS is a bit more "clubby" IMO
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:22 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Harbour View

InterContinental Hong Kong

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

18 Salisbury Road Kowloon, HK

Harbour View (3 Photos)

DSC008593.jpg

HOTEL REVIEW : INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG – HARBOUR VIEW

The Intercontinental Hong Kong has one of the best room views that I’ve ever seen. Conveniently located at Victoria Harbour, getting here from the Airport is a simple train & taxi ride away. The Harbour Rooms at the Intercontinental Hong Kong are a must when staying at this property for at least one day, so that you can also watch the light show that starts at 8pm. I used 2 free nights from my IHG account to book this property, and paid for a Room Upgrade and Club Access. Be prepared to pay upwards of $500.00 SGD for the cheapest room here as Hong Kong is a very expensive country to begin with.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 9

As a Spire Ambassador of the IHG Group, I was able to enjoy the following benefits. The 30% discount came in handy when negotiating for a paid upgrade and club access. The welcome gift was a bag of Jasmine Tea. I did not receive a complimentary room upgrade as this was a non-qualifying free stay.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 8

The Harbour Room isn’t spacious, but its definitely well maintained and decorated with oriental charm. Fresh fruit platter is offered as an Ambassador amenity, and bottles of Evian water which I remembered only ever receiving in myAmbassador Suite @ Intercontinental Singapore.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 7Many hotel rooms in Hong Kong provide this “Handy” phone for your usage free of charge. This is one reason why I did not buy a Hong Kong sim card. I used this phone to find dining options and navigate easily through a country I’ve only just been to.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 7The pantry and minibar was well stocked, although the prices are quite high for these beverages even to Singapore standards. I could have just popped in the club lounge for a free drink If I wanted.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 6The bathroom of the Harbour View Room of the Intercontinental Hong Kong is clad in marble. Also, it’s a little small, but it gets the job done.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 5

Being a club room, the bathroom amenities are upgraded toSalvatore Ferragamo which I found really high quality and great smelling.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 4The Club Lounge is located at the lower floors of the hotel, and offered afternoon tea and evening cocktails.

Intercontinental Hong Kong 3The view from the club lounge overlooks the lobby lounge and Victoria Harbour. At the time I was there (Nov 2015), the walking areas outside were closed for renovation.

Dining

DSC009043.jpgThe breakfast at the Club Lounge of the Intercontinental Hong Kong is really something else. The dishes were of restaurant quality, and really one of the better breakfast buffets I’ve had.DSC008993.jpg

Breakfast also included any ala-minute orders free of charge, one of the items on the menu is a minute steak which I ordered. This would have cost $30.00 SGD alone if I had to pay for it. Overall, it’s definitely worth to pay for club access and harbour view room at this iconic hotel (at least once!) which has one of the best views available of the Victoria Harbour.

Intercontinental Hong Kong

Address: 18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong Phone:+852 2721 1211
E-mail:[email protected]

About Me

I'm Aamir, A luxury traveler and travel hacking enthusiast. I blog at www.checkmyhacks.com

Harbour View

Would you like to write a review on the InterContinental Hong Kong?

No, thank you.
Yes
JDiver likes this.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 11:34 pm

If I book a paid stay at the deluxe HV level, and then buy ambassador status for $200 would I be upgraded to a suite upon checkin bc of the amb status?

Seems like that would be my best value since hv rooms are going for $360/night at end of march and suites are $575/night.

FYI, I checked IHG AMB terms but I'm a little confused by the wording: "* Upgrade to a superior room will be assigned at check in. Superior room is defined as a room one category higher than purchased."
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:44 am

at IC HK a superior room would not likely be a suite

they are generous with RAs but usually not with anybody else
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04
If I book a paid stay at the deluxe HV level, and then buy ambassador status for $200 would I be upgraded to a suite upon checkin bc of the amb status?

Seems like that would be my best value since hv rooms are going for $360/night at end of march and suites are $575/night.

FYI, I checked IHG AMB terms but I'm a little confused by the wording: "* Upgrade to a superior room will be assigned at check in. Superior room is defined as a room one category higher than purchased."
From Deluxe HV, on a paid stay, an Ambassador will indeed be upgraded to a Deluxe Junior Suite, a 1-cat upgrade
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
From Deluxe HV, on a paid stay, an Ambassador will indeed be upgraded to a Deluxe Junior Suite, a 1-cat upgrade
Gotcha, so do you think it's worth it to go for the deluxe hv and get upgraded to a suite with amb? Or should I book a deluxe room for $300/night plus $200 for AMB.

Prices: https://www.dropbox.com/s/poic1f0xr1...30.32.png?dl=0
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:12 am

I have a similar question to wholeinone04's.

My situation: booked two nights at IC Hong Kong in mid-december using my free night certs from the Accelerate program. This got me a Superior Room.

I've emailed the hotel asking for cost to upgrade the room. Would it make sense to buy the Ambassador status for $200 in order to get an extra "bump". Thinking the Ambassador would get me one category upgrade, and then pay up from there. I want the harbor view.

Also...do these rooms only have King beds? They had trouble fulfilling my free night redemption because I had my room preferences on IHG set to two beds. Since I'm travelling with a child, I'd much prefer two queens.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:51 am

Better to take a King bedded room and get a rollaway bed for the child - a child doesn't need its own queen bed - not that I think the ICHK has rooms with 2 queen beds in any case!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.