FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IC Hong Kong Master Thread (closed for renovation until 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/555698-ic-hong-kong-master-thread-closed-renovation-until-2022-a.html)

woobl Jun 3, 2019 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 31166626)
How far up do Ambassador guaranteed upgrades go at this hotel? What is the minimum category one should book
to be confirmed in a room with a very good Harbour view?

I’ve just booked a Deluxe Room and have been automatically upgraded to a Harbour View room, based on a previous stay there. I’m an Ambassador member.

MikeFromTokyo Jun 3, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by woobl (Post 31166745)
I’ve just booked a Deluxe Room and have been automatically upgraded to a Harbour View room, based on a previous stay there. I’m an Ambassador member.

Thank you. I am trying to figure out the best upgrade value to ensure a good room with a view. I will call reservations tomorrow to ask them specifics.

exactlyaron Jun 3, 2019 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 31166626)
How far up do Ambassador guaranteed upgrades go at this hotel? What is the minimum category one should book
to be confirmed in a room with a very good Harbour view?

This is the upgrade path.

- InterContinental Harbour View Room upgrade to InterContinental Deluxe Harbour View Room (450 sq. ft.)

- InterContinental Deluxe Harbour View Room upgrade to Superior Junior Suite (studio suite with pool view; 550 sq. ft.)

- Superior Junior Suite upgrade to Deluxe Junior Suite (studio suite with full harbour view; 550 sq. ft.)

- Deluxe Junior Suite upgrade to Superior Suite (studio suite with full harbour view facing Causeway Bay; 750 sq. ft.)

- Superior Suite upgrade to Executive Suite (studio suite with full harbour view facing Central; 750 sq. ft.)

- Executive Suite upgrade to InterContinental Deluxe Harbour View Suite (one bedroom suite with full harbour view; 1130 sq. ft.)

I think most people would say book Superior Junior Suite to upgrade to Deluxe Junior Suite and request a xx16 room they give super views.

DonPedro Jun 5, 2019 5:24 am

Different room types - forced to move?

A recent experience (RA) - I had a mixed roomtype reservation and contacted the hotel in advance regarding a different matter.

Unprompted, they offered me an upgrade fee for the nights at the lower room types. It was no bargain but was considerably cheaper than if if I’d booked the whole stay in the higher room type.

I’m not suggesting this is a hack to get a better room for longer, but if you find yourselves in this situation and would pay to avoid moving, it may be worth contacting the property.

nabanab Jul 2, 2019 12:39 pm

IC HK breakfast

hello everyone. im planning a trip to hk with my brother and sister, but the breakfast is very important to my brother. my question is: is ic hk's breakfast really that great?(please add the name of the restaurant.) thanks.

TravelLawyer Jul 2, 2019 12:46 pm

Are you talking about the buffet? What are you comparing "great" to? I think it's pretty good. But I prefer the breakfast buffet at the Conrad over the ICHK or the Ritz Carlton.

nabanab Jul 2, 2019 12:49 pm

[QUOTE=TravelLawyer;31262660]Are you talking about thebuffet?
umm, maybe
​​​

DonPedro Jul 2, 2019 3:51 pm

The buffet breakfast is in Harbourside restaurant.

It’s great in terms of the range and variety of food, for example I think I counted 14 types of bread two weeks ago.

Also great for location and view. Staff were friendly and efficient.

However it can get very busy, difficult to move around between your table and the food, and you may have to line up for everything. Not a particularly relaxing experience.

greendx Jul 6, 2019 11:46 pm

Just had breakfast at Harbourside this morning. It's pretty good, but not as good as say IC BKK. It's too expensive IMHO, as is all food at this hotel, ~$50 USD. However, restaurant was packed so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

greendx Jul 7, 2019 12:05 am

Originally Posted by DonPedro (Post 31172454)
A recent experience (RA) - I had a mixed roomtype reservation and contacted the hotel in advance regarding a different matter.

Unprompted, they offered me an upgrade fee for the nights at the lower room types. It was no bargain but was considerably cheaper than if if I’d booked the whole stay in the higher room type.

I’m not suggesting this is a hack to get a better room for longer, but if you find yourselves in this situation and would pay to avoid moving, it may be worth contacting the property.

Currently staying here on a 3 night stay where I used my AMB cert to book a Deluxe room (plaza view) for the first two nights and used Chase free night to book the last night in a Superior room (plaza view). I contacted the hotel to confirm where I would be upgraded into for the 1st two nights (I'm a plat AMB) and was told it would be to the Harborview room (as expected). I didn't ask about the 3rd night but they proactively replied that they are upgrading me to the Deluxe room even though I am not entitled to the upgrade on a free night stay, and also offered to upgrade that night to the same Harborview room allowing me to stay in the same room all 3 nights for 800HKD + 10%. The price difference between Superior and Harborview for this night if booked via cash was less than what I was quoted for this upgrade and I briefly considered negotiating for a lower upgrade fee but decided against it and ended up moving to the Deluxe room this morning. Overall a very smooth process and moving between rooms didn't require going to the busy front desk, instead I was called around the time we agreed upon (11am) and someone came to my room with new keys and helped me move over to the new room. Also they are letting me checkout at 4pm tomorrow which is very convenient.

TravelLawyer Aug 7, 2019 4:15 pm

Deleted. Slow to the party... just realized that Chase Free Night no longer works at ICHK.

Unterwegs Sep 15, 2019 8:57 pm

At my last stay one of the managers told me they moved the timeframe for the renovations (again). It seems that rooms are available in march of 2020. Just tried a dummy booking from the Mar19 to Mar20.

Also the "K11 Musea" shopping mall next door is open now. Most of the stores and restaurants in there are operational.

You can no go inside from the MTR station to the hotel (unfortunately not many signs for the hotel).
Take exit J. You will see an escalator up on the left and an elevator next to it. These gu up to the street level in fromt of the hotel. Don't take these.
Walk a few meters more into the mall and take the (short) escalator up on the left. You will see another escalator going up at the right. Take this to the ground level. Dont take the next one up, walk past it to the another one one going up. Just follow the signs for Moma.
You then will be in front of the Moma Store (this is also signposted in the mall). The entrance to the IC Lobby is just to the right of the Moma store.

The mall itself will not be my favored. Mostly expensive brandname stores, did not see a regular supermarket or drugstore in there. Also the mall has some art installations, but in general is very dark and - as my wife said - does not feel friendly or happy. For me some parts looked more like details out of a H R Giger painting....

1readyset2go Sep 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Any moderately or cheaper priced good places to eat near this property for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? We will of course try Yan Toh Heen at least once, maybe twice if its really good, but we are also looking to eat off property for several meals. I am not sure who much only being english speakers will be a hindrance? I have heard having high tea at the Pen as well is a must. We will be there in Feb for 5 nights and this will be our first trip to HKG. Eager to have some good dim sum, fresh seafood and peking duck!

Unterwegs Sep 19, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go (Post 31540483)
Any moderately or cheaper priced good places to eat near this property for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? We will of course try Yan Toh Heen at least once, maybe twice if its really good, but we are also looking to eat off property for several meals. I am not sure who much only being english speakers will be a hindrance? I have heard having high tea at the Pen as well is a must. We will be there in Feb for 5 nights and this will be our first trip to HKG. Eager to have some good dim sum, fresh seafood and peking duck!

There is the newly opened high end mall next door with a few restaurants. Noticed several coffee shops and a seemingly popular Ramen place. I did not try any yet.
For a Dim Sum lunch you could go to a restaurant on the 2nd floor in the cultural center (half way to the star ferry).
For local breakfast: There are a few places north of the Holiday Inn on Nathan road (in the side streets).
Also lots of restaurants on the higher floors of some of the buildings behind the Peninsula.
I usually use openrice.com (switch to english) to find where I want to go.
English is no problem.

If you want to go to some more local places: I recommend Kowloon City (close to the old airport, lots of restaurants of all types) and Saikung (fresh Seafood) in the New Territories. English might be a bit more difficult there, but you will not stay hungry.

lost_in_translation Sep 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 31529125)
At my last stay one of the managers told me they moved the timeframe for the renovations (again). It seems that rooms are available in march of 2020. Just tried a dummy booking from the Mar19 to Mar20.

It's difficult to know whether this place or the Conrad is pushing it more. It seems to me both continue to attract travelers as respective 'best in chain', but personally I've stopped staying at both as both are unacceptably dated for a 5 star hotel in Hong Kong now. The IC at least has the view going for it, I suppose, but both seem to me to be a case study in the power of hotel loyalty schemes.