IC Hong Kong Master Thread - after February 01, 2010 [merged]

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:10 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Unterwegs
Wiki Link
Intercontinental Hong Kong - 香港洲際酒店
18 Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel. (Hong Kong): +852-2721-1211
Website (link)

NOTE: This property was supposed close ~12 months for refurbishment sometime after Chinese New Year (5 Feb) in 2020. It seems the moved the date (again). Rooms are currently (Sep19) bookable in Aug20)

500 rooms including 87 suites; best Hong Kong and Victoria Harbour viewsviews
. . .
(starting price ~HKD 2,249.10 / $288 USD)
Check in: 2pm (“Early check in unavailable”). It seems that with Royal Ambassador status they let you check in early.
Check out: 12pm (“Late check out unavailable” but not so IME - with Amassador or Royal Ambassador late checkout seems possible.
One complimentary parking space per room, valet parking available (HKD80 per hour for non-restaurant patrons or per additional hour)
Service Animals allowed
2 accessible guestrooms on the low floor of the hotel
Executive rooms
Club Intercontinental Executive Lounge (generally significant extra charge)
Complimentary customized Android smartphone capable of WiFi hot spot use in room (no need to buy local SIM) - seems no longer to be true as of Sep19
Link to 5 page PDF Hotel information sheet

Transportation:

From / to HKG airport:
Hotel limo (Mercedes) HKD $900 + 10% (courtesy WiFi Hot spot, water, reading material)
Hong Kong Cityflyer A21 stops at both ICHK and ICGS - 33HKD (see link for map of stops)
(ICHK) Stops on Salisbury Road outside hotel, take the MTR underpass to cross road.
(ICGS) Stops on Mody Road
https://www.hongkong.net/transportat...irport/bus/a21
Train charge (one way): 90.00 HKD (train to Kowloon Station + MTR to Tsim Sha Tsui or taxi, ~90 min), discounts for more than 1 person traveling together,you can buy ticket at arrival train station. Taxi from train station to hotel approx 40 HK$. Train every 12 min, 20 min traveltime, plus 10-15 min for taxi to hotel
Urban (red) Taxi charge (one way): 300.00 HKD (~$38 USD / 30min) (link to HKG Taxi rate charts)
Private transfer ~$99-$110 USD / 30min one way ( link)

Dining:

Lobby Lounge: 7 am - 1230 am
Harbourside: 6 am - 1230 am, casual dining (breakfast and lunch buffet, seafood dinner buffet 6 - 1030 pm, Sunday Champagne brunch 1130 am - 3 pm)
NOBU Restaurant: 1200 - 230 pm, 6 - 11 pm (new style Japanese)
Rech by Alain Ducasse: 6 pm - 11 pm (French seafood)
The Steakhouse Winebar and Grill: 6 - 11 pm (International beef & wines)
Yan Toh Heen: 12- 3 pm, 6 - 1130pm (2 Michelin stars Cantonese)

Services:

Concierge 24 hrs (Louis Baleros, Chief Concierge)
House Doctor available
Full Business Centre (staffed, secretarial services)
Fitness Centre
Spa
Limousine service
Laundry daily same day service

“The outdoor swimming pool will undergo annual maintenance from January 22 - February 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor spa pool.” and “The outdoor spa pools will undergo annual maintenance from February 26 - March 8, 2018 inclusive, with the outdoor swimming p” (sic).
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 15, 9:29 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh View Post
Anyone have any experience getting a Reward Night stay upgraded as Plat (non Amb) to harbour view or club (wishful thinking)? Would consider getting Amb but heard that even for award nights, it is not guaranteed.
Amb does not cover reward nights anyway. Only Royal Amb, but then its a chance only.

IC HK is very strict on points night non-upgrades.
Old Dec 9, 15, 11:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by jedicat666 View Post
Amb does not cover reward nights anyway. Only Royal Amb, but then its a chance only.

IC HK is very strict on points night non-upgrades.
Figured as much -- thanks! May just stick with IC HK rather than the Grand Stanford just to gamble for an upgrade.
Old Dec 9, 15, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, LY Top-Platinum, HGP Diamond, HH Diamond, IHGR Platinum Amb
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh View Post
Anyone have any experience getting a Reward Night stay upgraded as Plat (non Amb) to harbour view or club (wishful thinking)? Would consider getting Amb but heard that even for award nights, it is not guaranteed.
I'm a Platinum Ambassador and used two free-night certs during the weekend. Got an upgrade to a Deluxe room, which is much bigger than the base-level Superior room, and was offered paid-upgrade to a room with harbour view and/or club lounge access. Ambassadors get 30% off the normal upgrade prices. No club rooms here - just club access for some of the guests regardless of room used.

For a single traveller a Deluxe room is perfectly fine in my opinion. It's ~40sqm maybe and well designed.
Old Dec 15, 15, 1:15 pm

I've got plat status and enough pts for a 2 night redemption at HK IC (100k total at end of March 2016). I've had good luck getting upgraded at IC Dublin and Indigo San Diego last two times on award stays/plat but sounds like no chance of any upgrade at all with the HK IC right?

Do you guys think I should stay here or somewhere else like CP Causeway Bay (where it seems like I may be able to get an upgrade with plat/award stay) for my two nights?

Btw, we're flying LAX to HKG and was 'planning' on two nights at HK IC and then heading over to Macau Ritz Carlton to use my free cert night and then off to Bali
Old Dec 16, 15, 2:18 am

Programs: Flying blue
Originally Posted by wholeinone04 View Post
Do you guys think I should stay here or somewhere else like CP Causeway Bay (where it seems like I may be able to get an upgrade with plat/award stay) for my two nights?
I've had an upgrade in the holiday inn t-s-t every time I've stayed. Very central location.
Old Dec 16, 15, 3:30 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
If there is more than one of you a taxi will typically match the AX price. I have to say I have never had traffic issues at any time I have arrived or departed including the lunchtime period but I haven't ever really arrived or departed at the most peak evening time.

The AX makes most sense for me if staying either in Central to avoid the tunnel and related traffic on the island or if staying at the W or RC above the Kowloon AX station.

Otherwise I just find it much more convenient to take a car and if there are 2 or 3 people even the hotel cars aren't a terrible deal. YMMV.

As for location you trade off a little bit of convenience being in Kowloon against much better views and airport access by car. It isn't like being south of the river in London though or say in Brooklyn or Hoboken if visiting NYC. Kowloon (and particularly the IC) is very well connected by public transport and not too bad by taxi. I prefer the Kowloon location on balance but everyone has their own view of where they like to stay in HKG and other big cities (e.g. Riverside versus Sukumvit in BKK, uptown vs midtown versus downtown and aligned locations in NYC, west end versus park lane in London etc.).
Just finished my stay. The view is amazing, but it's really annoying transportation-wise. Uber had surge pricing from the IC most nights. Also, because of the bridge or tunnel, getting to and from the island was REALLY expensive via taxi. Was never less than $160 HKD and some close to $200 HKD with luggage. Walking to the MTR took about 10 minutes each way, which sucks after you made purchases and are carrying a lot of things. Honestly, I don't know if the view was worth it. (I also had service issues with the hotel, so that made it doubly worse.)
Old Dec 16, 15, 7:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
160 HKD is 20 USD...

Such is live....
Old Dec 17, 15, 7:11 am

Agree 100% with AtomicLush. It's a million dollar view paired with a really inconvenient location and an aging facility.

I'm also just back from a stay in Hong Kong, split between the IC and the Indigo in Wan Chai. With the construction going on, the IC has become really isolated. Before, you could at least duck into the New World shopping center next door and then out to the Promenade. Now, there's absolutely nowhere to go by foot except down the driveway and then a hike across 6 lanes of Salisbury Road, or some other equally unwelcoming route. One of the great features of HK is being in the middle of urban frenzy, all of the time, and the IC doesn't do this any longer, not to my mind. (But no worries -- a sign says that the construction will be finished by June, 2018.)

Plus, the hotel could use a refurb. The rooms are showing their age. The marble in the bathrooms still glistens, but the fixtures are aging, the beds are far too high, and the whole place justr looks a little tired, a little bit sagging. Not completely unlike many of the patrons who come for afternoon tea.

I'm good at spending other people's money, so I'd have shut down the place while the construction is going on and do a complete rehab.

Meanwhile, if I want to stay at an IHG property in HKG, I'll head over to the Indigo.
Old Dec 18, 15, 12:46 am
formerly AtomicLush

Also, in case anyone was thinking about booking paid nights before or after reward nights, this hotel will disqualify both stays from points, even though they are on separate bookings, including incidentals for either stay. I'm in the middle of disputing it now. Dealing with this hotel has been a nightmare as customer service is down the drain, replaced by money grabbing and cost saving tactics - seems like they are penny pinching to recover from the $938m sale. Might be a sign that the hotel was overvalued if they are willing to drive away business to save a few hotel points (and in my case also a bunch of service issues during my stay).
Old Dec 18, 15, 9:16 am
formerly AtomicLush

Originally Posted by AtomicLush View Post
Also, in case anyone was thinking about booking paid nights before or after reward nights, this hotel will disqualify both stays from points, even though they are on separate bookings, including incidentals for either stay. I'm in the middle of disputing it now. Dealing with this hotel has been a nightmare as customer service is down the drain, replaced by money grabbing and cost saving tactics - seems like they are penny pinching to recover from the $938m sale. Might be a sign that the hotel was overvalued if they are willing to drive away business to save a few hotel points (and in my case also a bunch of service issues during my stay).
Updating - they did fix my points. Obviously no stay credits or points for the reward stay, but the paid stay was manually adjusted to post. I'm just not sure why it was an issue to begin with - they've been at this game too long and charge too much to have these service issues.
Old Dec 19, 15, 12:59 pm

I want to get a HV room at the IC HK. I am plat status from Chase card and have enough pts for a two night regular room award stay at the end of March.

1. Would they offer me a cash rate to upgrade to HV room? A few pages back I saw someone mention around $77/night for upgrade??

2. If I purchase ambassador status, would this help me secure a cash upgrade to HV room?

If either of those won't work ahead of time, I may just go ahead and book a cash rate for HV room. I saw Virtuoso offers some good benefits but am not familiar with that program at all.
Old Dec 20, 15, 6:18 pm
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wholeinone04 View Post
I want to get a HV room at the IC HK. I am plat status from Chase card and have enough pts for a two night regular room award stay at the end of March.

1. Would they offer me a cash rate to upgrade to HV room? A few pages back I saw someone mention around $77/night for upgrade??

2. If I purchase ambassador status, would this help me secure a cash upgrade to HV room?

If either of those won't work ahead of time, I may just go ahead and book a cash rate for HV room. I saw Virtuoso offers some good benefits but am not familiar with that program at all.
1. Yes, you can pay for a cash upgrade to HV @ HKD600+10%
and also club access for 2 @ HKD1036+10% (Which i recommend)
*Note : These prices are only if you are Platinum/Spire, add another 30% if you are not.

2. For IHG, you do only receive benefits on qualified nights. Since yours is an award night, it is not eligible for benefits.

At times, properties might, if you are lucky, provide you benefits even though you have an award night however this is rare, and extremely rare for this property (IC HK) in particular.
Old Dec 21, 15, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666 View Post
1. Yes, you can pay for a cash upgrade to HV @ HKD600+10%
and also club access for 2 @ HKD1036+10% (Which i recommend)
*Note : These prices are only if you are Platinum/Spire, add another 30% if you are not.

2. For IHG, you do only receive benefits on qualified nights. Since yours is an award night, it is not eligible for benefits.

At times, properties might, if you are lucky, provide you benefits even though you have an award night however this is rare, and extremely rare for this property (IC HK) in particular.
Thanks this is helpful. Hotel got back to me after a few days and said it would cost hkd800 +10% daily for a harbourview room. Would the 10% make it 880HKD, if so, that seems like a pretty good deal.

I'll ask how much for the club access for 2 would be, what makes it worth it?

Seems like a pretty good deal to use our two award nights and then pay for an upgrade to HV room. Still get good value out of the points and get to stay in a nice room with a nice view!
Old Dec 21, 15, 12:51 pm

Programs: Flying blue
I'd personally walk down and look at the view, or take the star ferry if I wanted a closer view.

The skyscrapers are ok once, then a bit dull after having had a wander round. The side roads of tsim ha tsui, or mongkok, or ya ma tei are more interesting.
Old Dec 21, 15, 2:25 pm
formerly AtomicLush

Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
I'd personally walk down and look at the view, or take the star ferry if I wanted a closer view.

The skyscrapers are ok once, then a bit dull after having had a wander round. The side roads of tsim ha tsui, or mongkok, or ya ma tei are more interesting.
The boardwalk (avenue of the stars) is completely closed off until 2018, so you technically CAN'T walk down to look at the view...at least not in front of the IC.

Search this Thread