Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Originally Posted by wilma
Stayed here recently on a BOGO ambassador weekend.reserved a club room and they upgraded us to a executive room next to the elevator. We went the room and it was way too loud with elevator whining so we asked for something else, executive rooms are nice and large but too noisy as they are all next to the elevator. The manager on duty offered us a special upgrade to a terrace suite since no other suites were available, great! Then he calls back 15 minutes later and says “ sorry the terrace suite is too much of an upgrade so you can’t have it unless you pay the difference!” Really? He then claimed he found us a great club room with a wonderful view and would send the keys up. We waited for 45 minutes and no keys so we gathered our luggage and went to the front desk that was now mobbed with people trying to check in. Someone gives us the keys to our new room and says “ oh, the bellman forgot to deliver your keys.” Ugh. We get to the new room and it was a basic small room with no view so i guess we got the special downgrade from the terrace suite! We called the front desk to speak to a manager and they promised one would call us right back, nope. terrible, tacky service. Finally a manager found us in the club, and she somehow found us a lovely room with a nice view, but it was way too much work to get an ambassador upgrade. The club is lovely here but not sure i want to stay here again.
It looks like nothing has changed with this place over the years. I will never stay there again.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by foxberg
It looks like nothing has changed with this place over the years. I will never stay there again.

The Intercontinental, is quite different. I'm not at all fussy, but they went out of their way to make sure I was happy with my room.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
The Intercontinental, is quite different. I'm not at all fussy, but they went out of their way to make sure I was happy with my room.
I stayed at this hotel and was quite satisfied. For my stay there was a cash rate of $190 or a points rate of 70,000 points per night (ouch).

Check in was relatively efficient and the clerk was friendly. The 13th (they call it 14th) floor is the "Elite" Floor and I guess that is where us "Platinum" "Elite" members go. The room had a nice view and was very clean. The bed was comfortable and crisp. The towels were quite cheap/low grade (worse/thinner/smaller than the ones that have a Holiday Inn logo I've seen at some of those properties). The location on top of Nob Hill is great as long as you like to walk up and down the hills. I actually think this is a great location because it is very central, it is just you have to deal with the hills. Easy walk to Chinatown, Financial District, Union Square, etc. Nice walk to Fisherman's Wharf as well. Cable Car museum is also kind of close. The area surrounding the hotel was VERY safe and very clean (until you walked down toward Union Square which does not feel safe nor smell very good).

The room size is very average. The bathroom size is on the small side, but a shelf above the sink really helps. There is no empty refrigerator in the room but there is a mini bar and you can relocate items there to use it as a refrigerator.

Top of the Mark is a nice way (the only way) to end the night (because there sure isn't much going on outside this hotel late at night) but sure pushy about the "cover charge" which is supposed to be waived if you are staying there. I provided them documentation of this upon entry and upon exit the cover charge was still on the tab.

The walls are thin and I heard things above and beside during the 7 PM to Midnight period, but by the time I fell asleep I was so exhausted that nothing woke me up.

I would stay here again at the right rate. I think it is much more pleasant than the Union Square Hilton (that place is just in a dangerous neighborhood) and a couple independent hotels I've stayed in down in Union Square area. The other San Francisco IC is a much nicer property, though... I sure prefer the atmosphere of this property's location.

I think what it really comes down to is what location works for what person.

Overall I liked the hotel and really liked the neighborhood.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I stayed at this hotel and was quite satisfied. For my stay there was a cash rate of $190 or a points rate of 70,000 points per night (ouch).

Check in was relatively efficient and the clerk was friendly. The 13th (they call it 14th) floor is the "Elite" Floor and I guess that is where us "Platinum" "Elite" members go. The room had a nice view and was very clean. The bed was comfortable and crisp. The towels were quite cheap/low grade (worse/thinner/smaller than the ones that have a Holiday Inn logo I've seen at some of those properties). The location on top of Nob Hill is great as long as you like to walk up and down the hills. I actually think this is a great location because it is very central, it is just you have to deal with the hills. Easy walk to Chinatown, Financial District, Union Square, etc. Nice walk to Fisherman's Wharf as well. Cable Car museum is also kind of close. The area surrounding the hotel was VERY safe and very clean (until you walked down toward Union Square which does not feel safe nor smell very good).

The room size is very average. The bathroom size is on the small side, but a shelf above the sink really helps. There is no empty refrigerator in the room but there is a mini bar and you can relocate items there to use it as a refrigerator.

Top of the Mark is a nice way (the only way) to end the night (because there sure isn't much going on outside this hotel late at night) but sure pushy about the "cover charge" which is supposed to be waived if you are staying there. I provided them documentation of this upon entry and upon exit the cover charge was still on the tab.

The walls are thin and I heard things above and beside during the 7 PM to Midnight period, but by the time I fell asleep I was so exhausted that nothing woke me up.

I would stay here again at the right rate. I think it is much more pleasant than the Union Square Hilton (that place is just in a dangerous neighborhood) and a couple independent hotels I've stayed in down in Union Square area. The other San Francisco IC is a much nicer property, though... I sure prefer the atmosphere of this property's location.

I think what it really comes down to is what location works for what person.

Overall I liked the hotel and really liked the neighborhood.
I have stayed here a couple of times and have found The Big 4 bar and restaurant in the Huntington Hotel a decent place to spend some time if you're looking for something near the Mark. Easy to overlook and definitely not a spot for high energy or inexpensive food, but a very relaxed bar with lots of brass, dark wood, and leather, classic old-style American food (steaks, prime rib, burgers, chicken pot pie), and one of the best bartenders I've ever encountered, Ty. He knows how to make great drinks, and he keeps a bar entertained. When I was there last summer, he told me he was thinking of retirement--he's in his late 50s/early 60s--but when I go to SF next summer, I'll stop by to see if he's still there. If the name seems a bit confusing, it refers to the foursome of C. P. Huntington, Charles Crocker, Mark Hopkins, and Leland Stanford, who, depending on your view of the 19th century, were either philanthropists or railroad robber barons. Before the Mark Hopkins, the Huntingon Hotel, and the Stanford Court, their mansions stood atop Nob Hill.

Agreed on the neighborhood and other than what's in the Mark and the Big 4, not a neighborhood with a lot of places to go. I generally take the long walk to Gary Danko for one meal--the walk, especially the climb back to the Mark, helps offset some of the calories!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:00 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 6/13 - 6/15

Location: The hotel is located on the corner of California and Mason Streets in the Nob Hill Neighborhood. While I felt on my visit that a lot of San Francisco is suffering from a massive homeless population, some of whom are very aggressive, it's not noticeable in this neighborhood. The California Avenue trolley had a stop right outside the hotel or you can walk about a mile to Montgomery Street or Embarcadeo BART stations. Just be advised any walks south or east involve a steep downhill and obviously steep uphill on the way back.

Hotel: Beautiful from the outside. A classic Depression era building that's inviting and has sweeping views of the city and the bay. There's a small lobby bar and of course on the 19th floor is the Top of the Mark restaurant and bar which features great views of the city.

(Top of the Mark)

Check In: Handled by a very friendly agent who confirmed my upgrade to a "deluxe" room and prepared keys for me. No issues getting a 4 PM late checkout my last day.

Room: Pretty disappointing. In a word it's old. While I don't mind the older style building and older style lobby, the room itself was depressing. No outlets near the bed, small closet, absurdly tiny bathroom without enough room to put one person's toiletries on the shelf let alone two etc. I was glad I wasn't spending too much time in the room. My welcome amenity was a fruit bowl, one bottle of Evian and a box with two truffles in it.

Other: The Top of the Mark is a great place for drinks. They have an incredible liquor selection and very friendly staff. Their bar bites menu is a little weak but not as expensive as you might think. I also had room service breakfast my second day which was done well.

I spent a lot on this hotel (something like $750 for two nights) and was disappointed by the room which cancelled out the service and the location. Not sure I'd be back.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Does this hotel give Ambassador members a choice of welcome amenity at check in. We were not given a choice(just an email the next day to say we had received 600 welcome amenity points).

We also did not receive an in room welcome gift which is another story..
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:32 pm

​​​​​​​Beautiful hotel and great location, the room was old and dated.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by boboqui
​​​​​​​Beautiful hotel and great location, the room was old and dated.
The hotel is old and dated, it needs a top to toe refurb I think
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The hotel is old and dated, it needs a top to toe refurb I think
While I agree, I don't think it comes out on the other side as an IHG property. A total refurb without changing the size of the rooms would cost many millions. A refurb with structural changes to increase the size of the rooms (thus reducing the number of rooms) would cost many millions more.

Someone will eventually do this as the Mark is an iconic property in a great city. With real estate values in SF going the way they are, however, it's possible someone buys the Mark to turn it into condos. If it remains a hotel with either of the refurb schemes listed, it'll have to charge much more than it does currently--I think so much so that the 70K redemption we see now that can be too dear in comparison with paying cash will in the future be seen as a bargain. I suspect that owners spending millions on this property would choose to take it outside IHG with either a possible Ritz-Carlton badge or a Waldorf-Astoria (especially since Hilton will allow them to charge pretty much what they want for a points redemption) or just make it an independent hotel again.
patmcpsu likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
While I agree, I don't think it comes out on the other side as an IHG property. A total refurb without changing the size of the rooms would cost many millions. A refurb with structural changes to increase the size of the rooms (thus reducing the number of rooms) would cost many millions more.

Someone will eventually do this as the Mark is an iconic property in a great city. With real estate values in SF going the way they are, however, it's possible someone buys the Mark to turn it into condos. If it remains a hotel with either of the refurb schemes listed, it'll have to charge much more than it does currently--I think so much so that the 70K redemption we see now that can be too dear in comparison with paying cash will in the future be seen as a bargain. I suspect that owners spending millions on this property would choose to take it outside IHG with either a possible Ritz-Carlton badge or a Waldorf-Astoria (especially since Hilton will allow them to charge pretty much what they want for a points redemption) or just make it an independent hotel again.
Better to have another good property option to choose with another brand than a bad option with IHG. The other IC on Howard Street is far better, not withstanding some recent service issues I had with them.

I have only stayed once and would never choose to stay again (in fact the Hilton and Marriott options will probably be my first choice in SF moving on).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Better to have another good property option to choose with another brand than a bad option with IHG. The other IC on Howard Street is far better, not withstanding some recent service issues I had with them.

I have only stayed once and would never choose to stay again (in fact the Hilton and Marriott options will probably be my first choice in SF moving on).
This is comparing apples and oranges. The IC on Howard is a better CP, the MH is old world charme.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

This is comparing apples and oranges. The IC on Howard is a better CP, the MH is old world charme.
No the St Regis or Palace are old world charm the MH is just old.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Looking to use my BOGO voucher here and it seems decent value to book the Jr Suite (comes down to $220 a night after all is said and done).

Anything I should expect or not expect as a Plat Ambassador? Not sure if paying for lounge access or booking a Club Room would be worth it as I assume the breakfast is rather mediocre.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Looking to use my BOGO voucher here and it seems decent value to book the Jr Suite (comes down to $220 a night after all is said and done).

Anything I should expect or not expect as a Plat Ambassador? Not sure if paying for lounge access or booking a Club Room would be worth it as I assume the breakfast is rather mediocre.
Platinum Ambassador got me absolutely nothing last year save the late checkout. I would go ahead and keep your expectations pretty limited for this hotel and just enjoy the location and you'll have a good stay.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
Platinum Ambassador got me absolutely nothing last year save the late checkout. I would go ahead and keep your expectations pretty limited for this hotel and just enjoy the location and you'll have a good stay.
Royal Ambassador brought me a four category upgrade from a mid priced suite to a top level suite. I would never ever book a basic room at this property but always aim at spending an extra 100 or 150$ - Upgrades can be really generous but it is giving and taking (and not only taking)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.