Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental San Francisco Mark Hopkins Master Thread - after January 01, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Royal Ambassador brought me a four category upgrade from a mid priced suite to a top level suite. I would never ever book a basic room at this property but always aim at spending an extra 100 or 150$ - Upgrades can be really generous but it is giving and taking (and not only taking)
We stayed here recently on a $176 rate (prepaid) and had a room on the 12th floor. A fabulous SF location! Neighborhood is incredibly clean and safe...no homeless issues here at all. We had drinks and then brunch at the Top of the Mark, pricey but OK. Champagne glasses at brunch could have been polished a bit more. For us, the location was great because of a concert we were attending at the Masonic. Dinner was at the nearby Big Four. Also toured Grace Cathedral and the Cable Car Musuem.

We took the 5 California to get up the hill, but then walked back the 2 miles to the Transbay Terminal to catch our bus connection to our train in Emeryville.

The cleanliness of the neighborhood reminded me of Japan, which we recently visited. A whole new look at San Francisco, which has deteriorated in so many ways in recent years.

We would stay here again. The room and hotel were quite adequate.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
For us, the location was great because of a concert we were attending at the Masonic.
Nick Mason?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Deez Nutz
Nick Mason?
Sarah Brightman, arguably the best female singer in the world.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:37 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Sarah Brightman, arguably the best female singer in the world.
Hmm, thanks for the tip. Never heard of her before.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
Hmm, thanks for the tip. Never heard of her before.
Think Phantom of the Opera...music written specifically for her by former husband Andrew Lloyd Webber.
EdV likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:08 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Ah gotcha. As long as it’s Phatom and not the terrible sequel of Love Never Dies
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Used to love this property in SF. But they recently instituted a ridiculous $29 destination fee - full of crap (as usual). Makes the hotel less desirable imo.
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Used to love this property in SF. But they recently instituted a ridiculous $29 destination fee - full of crap (as usual). Makes the hotel less desirable imo.
I really despise properties that add these sorts of fees. Is the IC on Howard is doing the same?
355F1 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 9:12 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by King Chung Huang
I really despise properties that add these sorts of fees. Is the IC on Howard is doing the same?
I hate them too. It does seem as of now the IC on Howard is not instituting one.
King Chung Huang likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Is there a Club Lounge at this proprty and if so any comments please
Old Mar 5, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Trappy
The “lounge” is now just a room any hotel guest can enter to pick up take away food. Who knows if it will reopen as a lounge when COVID finally stops impacting travel.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:46 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Trappy
The last time I stayed at the Mark Hopkins, I swore it would be the last time. The lounge was a large room near the reception at that time, but I haven't been back since. Nothing really special then either. I used to love the place in the 70's and 80's, but now I stay at the IC SF, which has a more convenient location, at least for me, and a great lounge, indoor and outdoor areas.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 1:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I went on the IHG website to check. It looks like they removed the destination fee. I checked for one night, 4 April. I'm guessing this is a temporary move similar to what some of the NY Hyatt properties are doing.

By the way, this is my favorite fun fact about this hotel:
Some hotels interpret the upgrade benefit to a suite or an executive room quite minimally — years ago the previous General Manager of the Mark Hopkins put a fax machine in a base level room, called it a ‘business room’ and claimed it met the requirements for an Executive room.

https://viewfromthewing.com/part-sui...nt-understand/
TravelinSperry and ARR72 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:50 pm

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
This really a property for those with eclectic tastes! We have stayed here many times and will be again in a few weeks, for us the combination of location, property character and service we have received has worked well for us.

However I am sure at times it may end up closer to the 'FawltyTowers' experience ...
Old Mar 8, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by manymanymiles

However I am sure at times it may end up closer to the 'FawltyTowers' experience ...
Wonder if they ever had a 'Mrs Richards' moment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.