Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compare HIExpress with Marriott Fairfield Inn

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Compare HIExpress with Marriott Fairfield Inn

Do you think that HIExpress is better that Marriott's Fairfield Inn?

Leaving aside Frequent Traveller Hotel club comparisions and perks do you think that if the HIExpress costs 29 % more than the Fairfield Inn that it is worth it to stay at the HIExpress? (I am paying out of my own pocket.- Willing to pay the difference if it is worth it- just have no way to tell it it is worth it.)

Does one have better beds or breakfasts than the other?

In your experience do HIE usually cost significantly more than Fairfield Inn's?
Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:57 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Lightbulb

I actually like HolidayInn Express better than regular HolidayInn..they are usually clean and has everything a regular HI has except a resturant/bar..and there is usually a fast food place right outside..HIX are newer and usually cost less..I find them to be even better than a Fairfield Inn..
Old Apr 6, 2006, 12:11 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Generally, Hampton > HIX > Fairfield. The reason I rated Hampton higher than HIX is more Hamptons offer hot breakfast compare to HIX.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 5:35 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
In my opinion, Fairfields are not comparable to HiX - although my experience is limited - I have only been in US fairfields and European HIXs... In US Fairfield can be compared to travelodge or something similar. HIXs are certainly better.
AX
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:22 pm
Original Member

HIX is my choice over Fairfields. I have noticed, as have other co-workers, that Fairfields are generally "stick-built", that is, frame construction. Consequently, Fairfields tend to be noisy.

I am sure that some Fairfields are not noisy, but given equal location and convenience, I will choose the HIX every time.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 4:36 pm

Programs: United, Southwest, HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Airtran, Starwood Plat, Marriott Gold, Loews Gold
I would always pick a Holiday Inn Express over a Fairfield. They are newer, cleaner, and usually have a king with a sleeper sofa. Fairfield is getting outdated.
njbud likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 6:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rdchen
Generally, Hampton > HIX > Fairfield. The reason I rated Hampton higher than HIX is more Hamptons offer hot breakfast compare to HIX.
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER
I actually like HolidayInn Express better than regular HolidayInn..they are usually clean and has everything a regular HI has except a resturant/bar..and there is usually a fast food place right outside..HIX are newer and usually cost less..I find them to be even better than a Fairfield Inn..
Agree with both statements above. ^
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:21 am
tgw

HIX over Fairfield any day.

Fairfields, to me, are like glorified Days Inns. HIX are usually very nice with open and attractive lobbies, and clean, comfortable rooms.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:39 am

Location: Franklin, TN HHonors Diamond, Worldperks Platinum, Priority Club Platinum
Ditto to the above. Most Fairfields I have been in are plain, just the basics. Most HIX are newer and have some personality.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Two follow up questions:
Is there any particular location where a Fairfield Inn is equal to or better than an HIE?
And are all HIE's new properties or are some older properites that have been rebranded and "renovated"?

Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta FO, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Stayed at a Fairfield Inn in Jacksonville for over 3 weeks during the summer of 2001 while my mom was being treated at the Mayo Clinic.

1. Fairfield Inn has the worst beds I've ever slept on. Just a big piece of foam rubber. No springs. (And no, it was a tempurpedic foam by any stretch of the imagination).

2. They had a decent breakfast selection and didn't mind me taking food (even provided trays) back to the room for my mom to eat when she was feeling up to it.

3. We got a great rate since we used one of those "on the road" coupon books that you often see in rest areas and gas stations. I think we only paid $29/night but we couldn't make a reservation for that rate. I probably wouldn't have paid more than $50/night w/o the coupon.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 2:17 pm

Marriott tries to marked Fairfield Inn as being in the same class as Hampton, HI Express, etc. In my opinion, this is too much of a stretch. The poster that stated that Fairfield is a glorified Days Inn is pretty much correct. I've always lumped them in with Microtel as well. I don't even use them anymore unless I'm desperate.

I've stayed at more than a few Fairfields, and I can only remember one that was decent. It was in Charleston, WV, and was a rebranded property that wasn't built to be a Fairfield. Fairfield is usually cheaper than either HIX or Hampton. IMO, it's still not cheap enough for what you get.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 9:54 am

Location: newnan, ga, usa PM and 2mm Delta, LPM Marriott, Diamond Hyatt, Diamond Best Western, gold NW, Platinum 6C Priority
Fairfield Suites

The Fairfield Suites in Williamburg Virginia is delightful. Nice open lobby with working fireplace, good breakfast with waffle alternative. Guest rooms are nice, too. Also watch out, some HIX are remakes, like the one near Atlanta Airport. It has been at least five other brands in the past fifteen years.

I have enjoyed original construction HIX's like the other posters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.