Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Downgraded RA's" -- Please Post the Facts

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2010, 7:41 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone been downgraded because the lack of nights at anniversary date but then been rewarded with RA a few months later because the rolling 12 months nights exceeded the magic number?

I am curious because with an anniversary date of June 30 I am going to be 10 short, but wont be staying at an IC until Sept, but by that time will have had 60+ nights as a rolling average, so I dont seem to be gaining anything by trying to get those 10 before the date and in fact loose the possibility of getting two BOGOs.
Old May 17, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, IC Amb, PC Spire, Turkish Elite, Lufthansa FTL, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by markis10
Has anyone been downgraded because the lack of nights at anniversary date but then been rewarded with RA a few months later because the rolling 12 months nights exceeded the magic number?

I am curious because with an anniversary date of June 30 I am going to be 10 short, but wont be staying at an IC until Sept, but by that time will have had 60+ nights as a rolling average, so I dont seem to be gaining anything by trying to get those 10 before the date and in fact loose the possibility of getting two BOGOs.
That's what I am asking myself. I am downgraded by end of June. Then I will have ~ 50 nights. In July/August there will be another 15 (last year 4)...
Would I receive RA again from then on???
Old May 19, 2010, 1:54 pm
Was eufto

Programs: UA 1K, AS Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, IC RA, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Here's my status:

RA Granted: Late June 2009
RA Expiry: July 2010

IC Paid Nights: 26
IC Paid Stays: 15
IC Properties: 11 unique (incl 3 foreign countries on 3 diff continents)

IHG Nights: 22
IHG Stays: 10

Received letter yesterday stating that I had not requalified for RA, but would be granted complimentary plat amb.

I do have 7 IC and 2 IHG nights scheduled through June. Sounds like there may be hope for me yet... I emailed Ambassador services and they said they would be reviewing my IC activity very closely through my expiry date.

Last edited by Potay; May 19, 2010 at 2:05 pm Reason: included # stays
Old May 20, 2010, 6:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold

A couple of years ago, I received the downgrade letter and then I stayed a few more nights to get over 50 before my RA expiration. RA qualification at that time was based on your activity over the past 365 days. I don't think that things have changed since then so you should be fine, but there are no guarantees. I would call in once you reach 50 nights over 365 days, assuming you've stayed at 3 different ICs
Old May 20, 2010, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by martyYYZ
A couple of years ago, I received the downgrade letter and then I stayed a few more nights to get over 50 before my RA expiration. RA qualification at that time was based on your activity over the past 365 days. I don't think that things have changed since then so you should be fine, but there are no guarantees. I would call in once you reach 50 nights over 365 days, assuming you've stayed at 3 different ICs

Thanks for the reply, I will keep an eye on it, as it stands its unlikely that I will be staying at an IC before I hit a rolling 365 day history of 60 nights, after which I will call if nothing changes!
Old May 21, 2010, 9:43 pm

I just hit 50 and I will have another another 6 nights in 5 weeks. what is my chance?
Old May 22, 2010, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Marco Polo Diamond, ICH Platinum Royal Ambassador, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BA1A
I just logged in and noticed mine has changed as well to April 2011 ^

I did over 125 nights in 2009 and stayed in at least 5 different ICs so I would have been upset if it hadn't been renewed.
Just received my RA renewal; similar picture. Around 130 nights in 4 different ICs (~100 in one property). Additional 10-15 nights in HI and CP.
Old May 22, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I just hit 50 and I will have another another 6 nights in 5 weeks. what is my chance?
Slim I would say, but you can only ask. Good luck.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:36 pm

Hi, I am a new RA. My question is this:

My RA expires in Nov 2010. I wont be able to get the required nights by then and will be downgraded to Ambassador. Do I still have to pay the Ambassador renewal or is it free when I get downgraded. Will I still get the Ambassador BOGO and 5K kit?

Then If I become RA again in January 2011 , I knew I will get the RA kit again but will just skip 1 month being an RA with my wife possibly being able to cover it. Do I have to pay an Amb membership again because I am now again an RA?

Same goes, if I become RA again in Nov 2010 or earlier ( due to referral), do I still have to pay the Ambassador membership from Nov 2010?

Is it alright to email PC/Amb with these type of questions?

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: Priority Club
Apologies if this is the wrong thread but at the moment I am platinum and have 48 nights under my belt.

The company I work for is pretty tight so basically since January:

46x nights @ HIX (two different hotels)
2x nights @ CP (one hotel)

I think this year I'll end up at worst (or best depending on how you view working away from home!) staying another 30 nights this year. All will probably be HIX.

I will also be claiming 5x nights @ CP on rewards nights (a different hotel to the one already stayed in).

From what I understand you need a few IC stays in there to get RA?

I'm just wondering whether, if I stuck in maybe a weekend in IC London, a weekend elsewhere on rewards nights etc. in a couple of ICs, would I qualify for RA or does the excessive HIX usage rule me out?

While I don't stay in ICs generally due to the cost I would if I got the added benefits i.e. upgraded room, free mini-bar (no p*ss taking on my part obviously!).
Old May 23, 2010, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Barry Bethal
Apologies if this is the wrong thread but at the moment I am platinum and have 48 nights under my belt.

The company I work for is pretty tight so basically since January:

46x nights @ HIX (two different hotels)
2x nights @ CP (one hotel)

I think this year I'll end up at worst (or best depending on how you view working away from home!) staying another 30 nights this year. All will probably be HIX.

I will also be claiming 5x nights @ CP on rewards nights (a different hotel to the one already stayed in).

From what I understand you need a few IC stays in there to get RA?

I'm just wondering whether, if I stuck in maybe a weekend in IC London, a weekend elsewhere on rewards nights etc. in a couple of ICs, would I qualify for RA or does the excessive HIX usage rule me out?

While I don't stay in ICs generally due to the cost I would if I got the added benefits i.e. upgraded room, free mini-bar (no p*ss taking on my part obviously!).
Go for it!!!

I'm in a similar position - my work budget doesn't stretch to ICs. I've managed to qualify (& re qualify) with a few leisure stays in ICs. I then can take advantage of my RA status for leisure stays in ICs. Obviously this is even better when ICs feature on the PB list.

I chose some weekend breaks in (cost effective) Euro ICs - where I could get a good deal with a cheapo flight.
I managed to originally qualify with stays in ICs in Athens, Berlin and Frankfurt.
The rates seem low(ish) in these hotels and remember you can use your BOGO weekend voucher that you will get when you sign up for the Ambassador programme.

Reward stays in ICs are somehow part of the "magic qualification RA formula" but if I were you I'd look a getting 3 paid stays (in different countries) - just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck!!!
Old May 23, 2010, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by SamsoniteBoy
Go for it!!!

Reward stays in ICs are somehow part of the "magic qualification RA formula" but if I were you I'd look a getting 3 paid stays (in different countries) - just to be on the safe side.

Good Luck!!!
You need to stay in three ICs that are different, not different countries, I am an RA who has never stayed in an IC outside of Australia.
Old May 23, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Me2Earth
Hi, I am a new RA. My question is this:

My RA expires in Nov 2010. I wont be able to get the required nights by then and will be downgraded to Ambassador. Do I still have to pay the Ambassador renewal or is it free when I get downgraded.

A: In the year that you are downgraded, your Ambassador membership is free.

Will I still get the Ambassador BOGO and 5K kit?

A: Yes.

Then If I become RA again in January 2011 , I knew I will get the RA kit again but will just skip 1 month being an RA with my wife possibly being able to cover it.

Do I have to pay an Amb membership again because I am now again an RA?

A: NO.

Same goes, if I become RA again in Nov 2010 or earlier ( due to referral), do I still have to pay the Ambassador membership from Nov 2010?

A: NO. RA status is always free as it is by invitation.

Is it alright to email PC/Amb with these type of questions?

A: Only if you want to....

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: Priority Club
Originally Posted by SamsoniteBoy
Go for it!!!

I'm in a similar position - my work budget doesn't stretch to ICs. I've managed to qualify (& re qualify) with a few leisure stays in ICs. I then can take advantage of my RA status for leisure stays in ICs. Obviously this is even better when ICs feature on the PB list.

I chose some weekend breaks in (cost effective) Euro ICs - where I could get a good deal with a cheapo flight.
I managed to originally qualify with stays in ICs in Athens, Berlin and Frankfurt.
The rates seem low(ish) in these hotels and remember you can use your BOGO weekend voucher that you will get when you sign up for the Ambassador programme.

Good Luck!!!
Good stuff!

I take it from your comment regarding the BOGOF, I possibly need to be AMB before they would consider me for RA? I would get AMB anyway to, as you say, use the voucher to reduce the cost etc.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:08 pm

Thanks very much MXM135. You answered all my questions clearly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.