Search

Ambassador Room Upgrade Clarification

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2005, 2:57 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Ambassador Room Upgrade Clarification

I apologize as this is probably somewhere here in the threads. However the search criteria I put in returned some many results.

I am a new Ambassador (non-platinum, non-royal). I am currently staying at the IC Riyadh in a King Deluxe Room, which is what I booked. Upon check-in I pointed out to them that I am an Ambassador and requested an upgrade. They have plenty of rooms of all categories available. They told me that they do not upgrade above the King Deluxe Room, unless the person is a Royal Ambassador.

My understanding of the program rulws is that as an Ambassador I should get either an upgrade to a Superior Room if I have booked a standard room, or should get a one-category upgrade if I reserved at the level of superior room or above. Is this a correct interpretation of the rules?

Here at the hotel I would guess that a Superior Room and Deluxe Room are the same. They don't have any designated Superior. Based upon my valuation of the rooms I guess one category up would be a club level room.

Also this brings up another question. If I get a club-level room am I permitted to eat breakfast for free in the lounge? (I am a Plat with SPG and find that normally breakfast must be paid for separately even when you get a Towers (=Club) room).

I have fired off an email to the Ambassador program for clarification of the upgrade issue. If I get a response I will post it here.

I appreciate any input.

Regards,
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:57 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
cbellero, you are correct in your stating of program rules concerning Ambassador upgrades. As the Ambassador T&Cs state, "InterContinental Ambassador Benefits: Upgrades to a Superior room will be assigned at check-in. A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned to InterContinental Ambassadors." The crux of the matter is how these rules are interpreted.

A one category room upgrade is not necessarily the next better type of room--say a superior to a deluxe, or a deluxe to a club room, etc. A room category upgrade can also include a room on a higher floor, or with a better view, etc. And, as illustrated in other threads, many properties will simply not upgrade an Ambassador beyond a certain level.

Perhaps the only way to definitively confirm what category of upgrade you will receive may be to contact the concerned hotel directly and ask.
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:41 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

Thanks for the response.

I have not received anything from the Ambassador program, probably due to the European weekend. However, when I check in tomorrow I will have the printed T&C's with me to fight for my case.

I think this program is much weaker than others if individual hotels are permitted to refuse a cardholder a benefit for which he or she has paid. As a matter of fact I would view it as a breach of contract. In my case they are telling me that they will not upgrade me beyond the room I already have. However the terms don't mention any limits.

Actually to be fair to the hotel there should be a limit. I mean, if I book the best room of the house, let us say the Imperial Suite and expect an upgrade, they won't possibly be able to give me one. However according to the terms I should get a better room...

I will write about my success or non-success tomorrow. I think I will have a lot of petty arguing since there doesn't seem to be the realisation of what the benefit is at this property.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 12:14 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

I promised feedback. Today at the hotel I got the same run around. "We are giving you an upgrade when we give you the King Deluxe room". However they had already prepared a real upgrade to a junior suite "just to show me what an upgrade would be like". Ultimately the upgrade is different, I think the King Deluxe is actually a nicer room due to the strange layout of the Junior Suite.

The response that I received this morning form the Ambassador program apparently believed the hotel over the guest once again. I reserved a King Deluxe Room and not a Superior Room with Queen Bed (have reservation confirmation as proof). I sent them another letter telling them that they should believe their customers (or at least look at the booking information themselves). We will see what the response to that email is.

"Dear cbellero,

Thank you for taking the time to contact the InterContinental Ambassador
Service Center.

We have been informed by the duty manager of the InterContinental Riyadh
that your initial booking was for a Superior room with a Queen-size bed and
they have upgraded you to a Deluxe room with a King bed.

You are absolutely correct regarding the complimentary room upgrade benefit.
Should you book a standard room, you will be upgraded to a superior room. If
you book a higher category, you will then be upgraded to the next level.
However, due to limited number of executive rooms or suites, some hotels may
offer an alternative room or a lower rate instead since the larger rooms are
reserved for special occasions. Also, only upon a hotel's discretion would a
Club Floor upgrade be issued as guests would need to pay extra in order to
have access to this level.

Thank you, cbellero, for giving us the opportunity to be of service to
you. Should you have further questions, please feel free to call us at +44
870 400 9099."
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Asiana Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Sofitel A/Club Plat, AMEX Centurion, LHW Leaders Club
So actually then by their own admission, the hotel should have offered you a discount on the room rate if they were not prepared to offer an upgrade?

I think IC should word the T&Cs of Ambassador status much more clearly, as at the moment i believe they are changing the rules when they feel like it.

As an Ambassador, when booking a deleuxe room you would quite rightly expect to receive an upgrade to a Junior Suite or Club Room, as a guaranteed room upgrade is what is promised. Nothing about upgrades not being permitted at certain levels such as suites.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:09 am
Original Poster
Marriott 10+ Badge

To close of this issue. I have received the junior suite as per the email below. Although it took some effort, I got them to honour the program conditions. That said, as I mentioned before the junior suite is really not better than the King Deluxe room at this hotel. It is about the same size but uses the space less efficiently giving one a cluttered feeling.

Dear cbellero,

We apologize for the delayed response.

Our records show that at the InterContinental Riyadh the next room category
after the King Deluxe is a King Junior Suite.

Thank you cbellero, for your patience with us in this matter. Please
feel free to call us at +44 870 400 9099, if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Mr. Ambassador Call Center Guy
Ambassador Services
Tel: +44 (0) 870 400 9099
Fax: +44 (0) 870 400 9010
Email: [email protected]

> ----------
> From: cbellero
> Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 12:25 PM
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: RE: Ambassador Reference-xxxx
>
> To whom it may concern,
>
> Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the information fromthe Riyadh
> hotel is incorrect. I booked a King Deluxe Room. I did not book a room
> with a Queen size bed or a superior room. I even have the booking
> confirmation stating "KING DELUXE ROOM". The hotel also told me this
> garbage the other day when I was there. They don't seem to want to
> listen. On my last stay they did not give me any upgrade at all since the
> room I received was the one I had booked.
>
> Let me ask the question in a different way. I have a new reservation
> today for a King Delixe Room. Assuming that all of the categories of
> rooms are open, which I believe to be the case, what kind of upgrade
> should I expect today when I check in?
> .....

> Best regards,
>
> cbellero
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
nothing has changed at IC Riyadh, this is one of my least favorite ICs of the 90 different properties I have stayed at

even as an RA, you get no significant upgrade and the rooms are dated / tired out, it is an extremely poor value for $$ paid

I like the gym at the IC + pool but the food in the Club Lounge is an embarrassment and we all know there is no booze

at the nearby HI Meydan they gave me a huge suite + free breakfast, fruit plate, waters and there is a modest little Business Lounge on 8th floor with snacks for less than 1/2 the price nightly at the IC, they will get any future business I do with IHG in Riyadh

Last edited by #1son; Feb 22, 2018 at 4:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.