Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:14 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Has anyone stayed on points as a non-royal? The hotel looks great in Genius1's excellent report (edited to add linked in the stay report forum, FLYGVA, but I suspect I won't be able to get into the club on a free stay. I'm debating whether to pay or possibly stay at the Conrad (I'm still diamond with HHonors).

Last edited by FLYGVA; Mar 13, 2010 at 7:13 am Reason: due to moving edited post for reference to Original thread
Old Apr 5, 2010, 3:51 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Just had another great stay at the IC SIN. Review here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13710936-post3355.html
Old Apr 6, 2010, 4:34 am

I can now say that this IC hotel has not treated me well.

Tried to book a reward night by calling the hotel directly since the reward stay has been taken off the list earlier today.

I was told there is no more room available for a reward stay even for an RA and a frequent guest. I was even told the last thing I would expect from a reservation agent ( a guy) - if I could change my flight on a day a reward stay is available.

He then said I can stay in other hotels because it is high occupancy time - I replied what about my IHG loyalty. That just went out the drain that time. I can put up with a no reward date but not with this type of answer from the reservation people.

Well, actually Crowne Plaza and Conrad is about half the price of the IC Singapore listed rate on the 3rd week of April. Meaning I am still asking a reward stay two weeks in advance. And I am not paying US$400+ on a 12 hour stay.

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times since last year as Plat Amb. And never been upgraded, always given the old Shophouse they call upgrade. I even booked a Premier Room 2X and has been always offered the Shophouse which I politely declined and I consider a downgrade.

I will be using Hilton/Conrad next time I am in Singapore. Btw, CP Changi treats me better than this hotel with upgrades.

Btw, I have a stay next month in IC Manila for less than $300 in a Presidential Suite upgrade and I guess I have to mention that as well.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see how not liking the higher room category and so refusing the upgrade counts as never getting an upgrade

That other hotels may have availability does not mean that the IC isn't busy

The IC in SIN seems to be very good at providing upgrades and provides ( for RA ) either 2 category upgrade or 1 category plus Club access , whichever the guest prefers. So a basic room booking can get a clubhouse suite which is very hard to not call an upgrade imo.

Dave
Old Apr 6, 2010, 2:51 pm

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see how not liking the higher room category and so refusing the upgrade counts as never getting an upgrade

That other hotels may have availability does not mean that the IC isn't busy

The IC in SIN seems to be very good at providing upgrades and provides ( for RA ) either 2 category upgrade or 1 category plus Club access , whichever the guest prefers. So a basic room booking can get a clubhouse suite which is very hard to not call an upgrade imo.

Dave
As mentioned in a previous post, i emailed about a stay in two weeks and was offered a 1 level upgrade or Club access.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: CO Platinum,AA GOLD,HiltonHHonors Diamond,Marriott Ambassador,National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Me2Earth

Tried to book a reward night by calling the hotel directly since the reward stay has been taken off the list earlier today.

I was told there is no more room available for a reward stay even for an RA and a frequent guest. I was even told the last thing I would expect from a reservation agent ( a guy) - if I could change my flight on a day a reward stay is available.

He then said I can stay in other hotels because it is high occupancy time - I replied what about my IHG loyalty. That just went out the drain that time. I can put up with a no reward date but not with this type of answer from the reservation people.

Well, actually Crowne Plaza and Conrad is about half the price of the IC Singapore listed rate on the 3rd week of April. Meaning I am still asking a reward stay two weeks in advance. And I am not paying US$400+ on a 12 hour stay.

I have stayed in this hotel 4 times since last year as Plat Amb. And never been upgraded, always given the old Shophouse they call upgrade. I even booked a Premier Room 2X and has been always offered the Shophouse which I politely declined and I consider a downgrade.

I will be using Hilton/Conrad next time I am in Singapore. Btw, CP Changi treats me better than this hotel with upgrades.

Btw, I have a stay next month in IC Manila for less than $300 in a Presidential Suite upgrade and I guess I have to mention that as well.
Why are you basing your stay on an upgrade? If you want a better room then pay for it. This is one of the best hotels around.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC

There is no guaranteed award availability for RA. It looks like you were not willing to accept that and have therefore managed to find many other things to get pissed about.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by njshawn
Why are you basing your stay on an upgrade? If you want a better room then pay for it. This is one of the best hotels around.

Are you kidding me? It is $500/nyt for a shophouse. And I am staying 12 hours and less and I am not on a holiday to book suites.

I already booked CP on points and if you do the math correctly the going rate in CP is translated to about 50,000 points on Pts + cash and I dont have to explain that as well.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
In this case, use Priceline! 100$ per night @ Conrad or Hilton.

Are you kidding me? It is $500/nyt for a shophouse. And I am staying 12 hours and less and I am not on a holiday to book suites.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Savage25
There is no guaranteed award availability for RA. It looks like you were not willing to accept that and have therefore managed to find many other things to get pissed about.
Yep I know that now and I don't have problem with that either. In fact I just made 5 or more cancellable bookings in this hotel for the rest of the year. It is my stopover hotel or the CP. And I have never used a reward stay in this hotel I just find the rate too steep this time for a 12 hour stop.

I was not just happy with the response especially when someone pretends to ask you your flight details with no significance at all.

IHG still have my leisure stays in Singapore ( about 10 stays/yr). CP is not a bad choice either. It is even better with the rates except for the RA benefits.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 8:12 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I have always enjoyed my stays at the IC Singapore and was treated well (depending on my status). I think sometimes some of us set very high expectations and when they are not met, we get really pissed off. Then again, I have never tried to book a rewards night there...
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:48 am
uk1
Suspended

in danger of repeating myself ..... in my experience of IC SIN in particular (but also true more generally) but you always increase your chances of not being dissapointed by making contact in advance and seeing what you can agree. You also then have a degree of certainty. Sometimes it does involve spending a bit more to get what you want guaranteed but always seems worth it and good value .............
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by uk1
you always increase your chances of not being dissapointed by making contact in advance and seeing what you can agree.
Exactly. I always contact every IHG hotel I plan to stay in advance to know what the upgrade will be. If it's not satisfactory then I will not stay there. Also, by doing this I ensure that the upgrade is keyed into the system immediately, so the front desk cannot use the old "sorry we're fully booked so no upgrades for you" excuse upon check in.

I think anyone who expects a top notch upgrade upon check in just because he is a RA is setting himself up for disappointment.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:08 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by mister__big
Exactly. I always contact every IHG hotel I plan to stay in advance to know what the upgrade will be. If it's not satisfactory then I will not stay there. Also, by doing this I ensure that the upgrade is keyed into the system immediately, so the front desk cannot use the old "sorry we're fully booked so no upgrades for you" excuse upon check in.

I think anyone who expects a top notch upgrade upon check in just because he is a RA is setting himself up for disappointment.
But you can take it a little further and actually discuss what it is you want to acheive and they are very often very helpful. They want you and your cash and they want to help you get what you want. I must admit I'm constantly surpised to read of people's dissapointments who HAVEN'T made an effort to agree in advance how to acheive what want. Some IC's have been a real eye-opener when you start a bit of pre-visit contact.

The most basic contact can simply be "I'd like an upgrade to x, what do I need to reserve please?". Once you've done it you can simply then forward the booking reference and ask them to reserve what you've agreed. Simple.

The other thing is that you can often do a deal. The most suprising is IC Athens where every visit has taken some convoluted emails, haggling and horse trading to get one of the Club suites with terrace and Accropolis view. In the end the cost was so small but only comes about through a bit of humorous good-natured pre-visit contact. With IC Singapore we even agree the specific suite number which is always reserved for us.

If people don't like unexpected dissapointments then the solution seems so obvious.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
EXCELLENT and very simple recommendations uk1. Thanks... ^ ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.