Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Berlin Master Thread - after January 01, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
You can’t get air conditioning in the winter but you can switch the heating off and use window to cool it for a few hours as needed
Old Dec 15, 2022, 9:28 am

Hard product of refurbished rooms is great. Sadly, soft product, typical of ICs, is well below average.

Booked a base room and agreed to pay a supplement to a junior suite with an ambassador upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

Checked in. No upgrade. So I said, I'm not paying the full supplement. You should bill me one category below the junior suite. They agreed.

Made pre-arrival requests for the room, none of which were followed.

After check in, with a DND on the door, a maintenance guy just walked in, no knock, and started fixing the coffee maker, which I never asked for.

Door person is too busy watching videos on his phone, with audio, to look up and do anything.

There's no conceirge and front desk is clueless on basic Berlin help. Literally, no clue.

No heat in the junior suite bedroom so had to mix temps with the living room.

Location is a 10 minute walk to anything (except the zoo). Waldorf much better located. This hotel thrives on cruises and meetings and everyone else is lost in the shuffle.

The positives: junior suite is a full one bedroom corner and tastefully decorated. Although no USB by the beds.

Breakfast was above average.

Housekeeping the one day I had It was excellent but they completely ignored my request.

I got a great rate, so I'd stay here again only if my rate was as good and not to expect anything special, or even average, from the staff. and expect to spend a ton on taxis (if you're not keen on public transport
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Hard product of refurbished rooms is great. Sadly, soft product, typical of ICs, is well below average.

Booked a base room and agreed to pay a supplement to a junior suite with an ambassador upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

Checked in. No upgrade. So I said, I'm not paying the full supplement. You should bill me one category below the junior suite. They agreed.

Made pre-arrival requests for the room, none of which were followed.

After check in, with a DND on the door, a maintenance guy just walked in, no knock, and started fixing the coffee maker, which I never asked for.

Door person is too busy watching videos on his phone, with audio, to look up and do anything.

There's no conceirge and front desk is clueless on basic Berlin help. Literally, no clue.

No heat in the junior suite bedroom so had to mix temps with the living room.

Location is a 10 minute walk to anything (except the zoo). Waldorf much better located. This hotel thrives on cruises and meetings and everyone else is lost in the shuffle.

The positives: junior suite is a full one bedroom corner and tastefully decorated. Although no USB by the beds.

Breakfast was above average.

Housekeeping the one day I had It was excellent but they completely ignored my request.

I got a great rate, so I'd stay here again only if my rate was as good and not to expect anything special, or even average, from the staff. and expect to spend a ton on taxis (if you're not keen on public transport
I am sorry to hear that your experience in Berlin was not good, and does not match the experience I had during my (numerous) stays in this property..

The breakfast (at the restaurant but also at the club lounge) is of a very good standard, by the quality and variety of the products.
The spa and pool are very pleasant, as is the club lounge.
There is indeed a concierge team at the hotel.
And I will be very happy to go back very soon to discover the new design of the suites.

Berlin is inded a large city, but public transport (or cycling) is a great way to visit the city.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I am sorry to hear that your experience in Berlin was not good, and does not match the experience I had during my (numerous) stays in this property..

The breakfast (at the restaurant but also at the club lounge) is of a very good standard, by the quality and variety of the products.
The spa and pool are very pleasant, as is the club lounge.
There is indeed a concierge team at the hotel.
And I will be very happy to go back very soon to discover the new design of the suites.

Berlin is inded a large city, but public transport (or cycling) is a great way to visit the city.
I loved Berlin and the room, when heated, was very comfortable. I did not try the lounge, nor spa, nor pool.

The concierge desk sat empty my entire stay and when i enquired, I was told there was none anymore and the front desk could help (they failed repeatedly).
Old Dec 15, 2022, 1:56 pm

I have been a regular guest there for 16 years and never had your experience!
Did you not call for maintenance to fix the heating ?
Im not sure what happened with you but it really is not normal behavior there , the staff bend over backwards to help (unless perhaps new ones not fully trained)
Old Dec 15, 2022, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by ninjalad
I have been a regular guest there for 16 years and never had your experience!
Did you not call for maintenance to fix the heating ?
Im not sure what happened with you but it really is not normal behavior there , the staff bend over backwards to help (unless perhaps new ones not fully trained)
I just left the living door open which heated the bedroom and was comfortable.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Detailed review of my stay in January 2023

InterContinental Berlin
What is your IHG One Rewards status?
Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, just fantastic.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest rate and received One Bedroom Club Suite.

How are the rooms?
Around 110sqp
Superb contemporary interior design (the good thing is that renovation keeps the best part of former interior design, and adds nice new touches like desk chair, plants).

One large living room with dining area, sofa and desk. Tassimo coffee machine and kettle.

Bedroom with very comfortable bed. iPhone dock.

Superb bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
Byredo Bal d’Afrique toiletries.

Large separate dressing room.
Separate guests toilets, kitchen.

2 flat screen television sets with large selection of international channels (but unfortunately no more Arte tv). No Chromecast

Very quiet
View Tiergarten, Siegessäule and Fernsehturm.

How is the exec. lounge?
Superbly renovated, but fortunately keeping the former elegant atmosphere and configuration (dining area, seating area, bar area, meeting room).

Excellent breakfast. Good hot evening spread.

Great staff (notably Nihal, always smiling and welcoming guests like family members).

What was good and what was bad?

GOOD
- Very attentive and smiling staff
- Very impressed by the service (I was called by my name by bell boy and receptionist even before introducing myself; I got Kombucha in my room after having said - before Covid times, that I like this drink; in my room in the evening, television set was on France Musique radio, the French classic music I like).
- Elegant décor of the newly renovated lobby, rooms and club lounhe
- Bicycles can be rented
- Pleasant indoor pool and spa

BAD
- Nothing

Value for $ or IHG One Rewards Points? Would you return?
Yes, definitely. InterContinental is one of the very best properties of the hotels chain.

Exterior

Lobby

Marlene Bar

One Bedroom Club Suite

Bedroom

View from the room

Coffee station

Minibar

Welcome gift

Bathroom

Dressing

Guests toilets

Kitchen

Pool and spa

Bicycles

Hugos bar and restaurant

Last edited by nicolas75; Jan 17, 2023 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Club lounge

Afternoon tea

Evening spread

demue likes this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Jan 17, 2023 at 8:37 am
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:44 pm

A kind of unwanted upgrade

I was just here for a week in suite 838 that Nicholas was in above , after two days it started getting cold. The heating system was broken so was moved to 6th floor in presidential suite.
This features interior design by Bill Clinton who was first guest in it . It seems to have been modeled on his version of the Oval Office.
I have stayed in it before and had hoped not to have a repeat.
As usual the stay was lively and the staff adorable 🥰

Hallway

The Desk with special telephone

Hanging space for president and First Lady with own door to outside

Only jacuzzi tub in the hotel (I didn’t bother this time )
Old Apr 18, 2023, 11:10 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I am trying to -like- but it seems my -like- privilages are nullified ...
so instead for all above posts
Old Apr 19, 2023, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ninjalad
This features interior design by Bill Clinton who was first guest in it . It seems to have been modeled on his version of the Oval Office.

Quite vintage indeed

Any stains on the carpet? 😂
Gongzuokuang likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Puts the President in Presidential Suite!
Old Apr 22, 2023, 6:42 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by HadesNL
I am trying to -like- but it seems my -like- privilages are nullified ...
so instead for all above posts
This is because there are two reviews in this thread and this unfortunatley breaks the like function

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old May 12, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Booked "1 KING CLASSIC CLUB LOUNGE ACCESS" via Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night and was upgraded to "1 King Premium Club Lounge Access". Booked one points night. The points night was the first night. The points night was upgraded to the 1 King Premium Club Lounge Access online prior to arrival (but the front desk staff informed me the booking did not include access to the lounge). The check in process was effective and efficient. The front desk staff were an asset to the hotel. Check in was around 9PM so the first night was little more than a place to sleep. The room was on the 7th floor without a view ot speak of. The room was very quiet and very dark so sleeping day or night was not an issue. I like quite to a point of discomfort for most people and the room was very quiet. The lounge is on the 8th floor with a view. Lounge services include breakfast starting at 6:30AM and hot / cold items until 8PM. The lounge is nice with seating enough and a number of tables with a view of the neighborhood. Taxi from the airport was 72 Euros and the taxi accepted credit cards or cash; but I paid in cash. Limited options at the airport for ATM / money exchange so credit card would be a good option. Based on status the hotel offered me the buffet breakfast for the first morning in the restaurant. The buffet breakfast was a too loud for me and so I went to the lounge and at breakfast. The lounge staff may or may not ask for your room number to confirm lounge access. The eggs are "cooked to order" with the exception of the poached eggs so scrambled eggs is the better eggs. The lounge is very nice and well designed. The lounge was quiet for the extent of the stay so a pleasant escape from the masses of people in the lobby. The room is nice with a few exceptions. The bed is comfortable. The power does require an adapter if the electronics are from elsewhere. The minibar does have a small space for personal items but sorting out the bill will be fun as the items fall over periodically and the minibar is "automatic". The TV works periodically due to limited signal; but the English stations are limited and primarily news stations. The option to Cast to the TV works once but the signal to the TV is weak so the Cast didn't work. The bathtub / shower combo is problematic at best. The glass barrier extend 1/2 of the bathtub, the overhead shower sprays everywhere, the wall mounted shower is located mid bathtub. Each and every shower, water goes everywhere and the entire setup is a safety hazzard.

The highlight of the visit is the KaDeWe - Kaufhaus des Westens department store a short walk down the street. Tomorrow's visit will include a lobster roll for lunch.

Last edited by view-with-a-room; May 13, 2023 at 3:13 am
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Detailed review of my stay in June 2023

What is your IHG One Rewards status?
Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, just perfect.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest advance rate and received One Bedroom Club Suite.

How are the rooms?
Around 110sqm

Superb contemporary interior design (the good thing is that renovation keeps the best part of former interior design, and adds nice new touches like desk chair, plants).

One large living room with dining area, sofa and desk with cell phone induction charger, usb sockets.

Tassimo coffee machine and kettle.

Bedroom with very comfortable bed. iPhone dock.

Superb bathroom with bathtub and separate shower.
Byredo Bal d’Afrique toiletries.

Large separate dressing room.
Separate guests toilets, kitchen.

2 flat screen television sets with large selection of international channels (but unfortunately no more Arte tv). Chromecast

Very quiet
View Tiergarten, Siegessäule and Fernsehturm.

How is the exec. lounge?
Superbly renovated, but fortunately keeping the former elegant atmosphere and configuration (dining area, seating area, bar area, meeting room).

Excellent breakfast. Good hot evening spread.

Great staff.

What was good and what was bad?

GOOD
- Very attentive and smiling staff
- Very impressed by the service
- Elegant décor of the newly renovated lobby, rooms and club lounge
- Bicycles can be rented
- Pleasant indoor pool and spa

BAD
- Nothing

Value for $ or IHG One Rewards Points? Would you return?
Yes, definitely. InterContinental is one of the very best properties of the hotels chain.

Exterior

Lobby

Marlene Bar

Access to the rooms

One Bedroom Club Suite

Bedroom

Bathroom

Dressing

Minbar

Second dressing

Kitchen

View from the room

Club lounge

Breakfast

Afternoon tea

Evening spread

Pool and spa

demue and Cthunder86 like this.

Last edited by nicolas75; Jun 26, 2023 at 3:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.