IC Berlin Master Thread - after January 01, 2013

Old Jan 24, 17, 11:46 pm
  #331  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,605
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
No beverages at all after 8 pm. Club is dead (two guests at 830 pm today). Staff was cleaning the tables and preparing breakfast. Officially open until 1030 pm to watch TV or read newspapers.
Just to grasp this: not coffee, no soft drinks, no water?

Reminds me a bit of that "Club" experience at an American Crowne Plaza many years back: they had set up a room with folding tables, disposable dishes and a few snacks and drinks for a few hours in the evening and people were standing around holding a sandwich in one hand and a plastic cup in the other. The room was closed after the stipulated time (2 hours or so) had expired.

HTB.
htb is offline  
Old Jan 25, 17, 12:18 am
  #332  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,077
No nothing. Just two nice ladies cleaning everything.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 17, 4:45 am
  #333  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
No beverages at all after 8 pm. Club is dead (two guests at 830 pm today). Staff was cleaning the tables and preparing breakfast. Officially open until 1030 pm to watch TV or read newspapers. I was always a big fan of the IC Berlin and went with them through difficult times Buch these developments are nothing but a disgrace. This is a perfect way of reducing my he number of Royal Ambassadors: try to play games with your best customers.
I was there on the weekend, returned to the hotel around 10pm and was in the club drinking a coke - the club was deserted, that's right. However, no one said anything about me drinking the coke nor where the fridges locked and from my talks with the club manager I was under the impression that softdrinks should be on offer from start to finish. If they now started not offering anything after 8pm that is like the final nail in the coffin.

You are 100% right. It is a disgrace. Ruining one of the best IC club lounges in Europe (a few month ago the Club Manager told me they won an internal IHG award for the best club lounge in europe) and also the new policy about the view categories (they existed for about 2 years I guess) seems like a bad joke. Its not like they do not have enough deluxe rooms (for AMBs) or junior suites (for RAs)...

The most alarming thing is: They told me that this (club changes) is not an idea of the IC Berlin but is coming directly from IHG and they are like a "pilot lounge" testing the new concept before it goes live .
Kasupke is offline  
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:09 am
  #334  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,077
Originally Posted by Kasupke View Post
I was there on the weekend, returned to the hotel around 10pm and was in the club drinking a coke - the club was deserted, that's right. However, no one said anything about me drinking the coke nor where the fridges locked and from my talks with the club manager I was under the impression that softdrinks should be on offer from start to finish. If they now started not offering anything after 8pm that is like the final nail in the coffin.

You are 100% right. It is a disgrace. Ruining one of the best IC club lounges in Europe (a few month ago the Club Manager told me they won an internal IHG award for the best club lounge in europe) and also the new policy about the view categories (they existed for about 2 years I guess) seems like a bad joke. Its not like they do not have enough deluxe rooms (for AMBs) or junior suites (for RAs)...

The most alarming thing is: They told me that this (club changes) is not an idea of the IC Berlin but is coming directly from IHG and they are like a "pilot lounge" testing the new concept before it goes live .
The latter is what they told me, too. At check out I addressed the issues and was asked whether they would be allowed to convey my comments to the GM what I confirmed. I then asked whether I were the first RA raising such issues which resulted in a smile and an answer "take it for granted, no". I was very frank that I do consider shifting my business to Hyatt, the Westin or the Hilton or any other nice property in Berlin. If the upgrades become meaningless, the club boring and the minibar as cheap as well known, then the IC is for me is no longer top choice, but in the same category as several other nice properties in Berlin. And for sure: The guest has a choice.

Regarding the cokes: At 8.30 I did not even have a chance to open a bottle because everything was taken away. When asking one of the attendants clearing the room she answered that the bar hour was over but she would open that bottle as an exception. In the next 30 minutes they cleared and cleaned the entire lounge room so in all honesty, it was no fun at all sitting there as you got the impression that they were just waiting for you to leave to go home....

I am really more than disappointed and the property will feel the results.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Jan 25, 17, 6:06 am
  #335  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 16
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
The latter is what they told me, too. At check out I addressed the issues and was asked whether they would be allowed to convey my comments to the GM what I confirmed. I then asked whether I were the first RA raising such issues which resulted in a smile and an answer "take it for granted, no". I was very frank that I do consider shifting my business to Hyatt, the Westin or the Hilton or any other nice property in Berlin. If the upgrades become meaningless, the club boring and the minibar as cheap as well known, then the IC is for me is no longer top choice, but in the same category as several other nice properties in Berlin. And for sure: The guest has a choice.

Regarding the cokes: At 8.30 I did not even have a chance to open a bottle because everything was taken away. When asking one of the attendants clearing the room she answered that the bar hour was over but she would open that bottle as an exception. In the next 30 minutes they cleared and cleaned the entire lounge room so in all honesty, it was no fun at all sitting there as you got the impression that they were just waiting for you to leave to go home....

I am really more than disappointed and the property will feel the results.
Yeah the atmosphere you are describing was there on the weekend too. I drank the coke standing around the bar tables there because they were already cleaning everything and I was not feeling like staying there at all. Lucky for me I found the bottle opener somewhere.... But bottom line is: what is the purpose of club lounge being open until 10:30 PM if nothing is on offer? And the atmosphere was horrible...

Well the IC Berlin was my favorite hotel in Berlin by far. Stayed there about 40 nights last year alone and most of the staff - even after the recent changes - knows me by name, which is a very nice touch.

But with the changes to the club and at the same time increasing the price from a business point of view it becomes hard to see the IC Berlin as good option anymore. For an RA might still be good, as rates are usually lower than for example Hilton, but as AMB I'd have to pay around 180-200 EUR/night for club access and with new policy would still get only superior room with view on some trees.

I already shifted major part of my business to other chains (due to RA downgrade) but was hoping to maintain staying at IC Berlin because I like it. In the end it is a business decission and as you said, there are many nice options in Berlin.
Kasupke is offline  
Old Jan 26, 17, 9:59 pm
  #336  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: London
Programs: Hilton IHG LH BA TK
Posts: 12,704
Originally Posted by Kasupke View Post
You are 100% right. It is a disgrace. Ruining one of the best IC club lounges in Europe ...
...The most alarming thing is: They told me that this (club changes) is not an idea of the IC Berlin but is coming directly from IHG and they are like a "pilot lounge" testing the new concept before it goes live .
OK, it was a perfectly nice lounge with lovely staff, but I never rated it quite as highly as others do. The "bar tables" have relieved some of the spartan aspect of the place, but i didn't find it a particularly welcoming space.

BUT your information about change and pilots chime with what I've heard in other IC hotels. Seems that those who cried so long for consistency are going to get it: but sadly that exercise is always going to focus on lower, more easily agreed, levels. A low bar, indeed.

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
Regarding the cokes: At 8.30 I did not even have a chance to open a bottle because everything was taken away. When asking one of the attendants clearing the room she answered that the bar hour was over but she would open that bottle as an exception. In the next 30 minutes they cleared and cleaned the entire lounge room so in all honesty, it was no fun at all sitting there as you got the impression that they were just waiting for you to leave to go home....
I seem to remember Frankfurt had a generous interpretation of lounge operating hours. My last stay was in December and I noticed nothing new: but are things changing there as well?
IAN-UK is offline  
Old Jan 26, 17, 11:12 pm
  #337  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Formerly known as attorney28
Programs: BA G, LH SEN, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Dmd, IC Amb, Sixt Dmd, Avis/Hertz Pres
Posts: 6,464
I'm done with that hotel.
Football Fan is offline  
Old Feb 2, 17, 9:08 am
  #338  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Amsterdam&Stuttgart& Edinburgh
Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Posts: 407
I am currently in the hotel, the club lounge changes will be rolled out across all IC lounges by April.
During the day there are tea/coffee and soft drinks only, the fridge with beer is covered and locked. From 5pm 'till 8pm the bar is open and has a better selection of wines than before. After 8 the lounge is open as earlier until closing time.
There is no food available between breakfast and the cake offerings at 2pm.
After 5 the staff came around offering canapes which are delivered on tiered stands, cheeses and bred/biscuits are on the buffet. As always the staff are charming and helpful
I was upgraded to a club senior suite(822) the normal sized fridges have been replaced by a minibar fridge but now seem better stocked.
As I rarely eat breakfast the lack of food at lunchtime is disappointing but will not stop me staying here.
ninjalad is offline  
Old Feb 2, 17, 12:20 pm
  #339  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: London
Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
Posts: 131
The extra charge for a Club room will no longer make sense if they really roll out the abysmal changes from the Berlin IC to all Club lounges.
KMPete is offline  
Old Feb 3, 17, 1:53 am
  #340  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Amsterdam, Asia, UK
Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Posts: 5,071
Originally Posted by KMPete View Post
The extra charge for a Club room will no longer make sense if they really roll out the abysmal changes from the Berlin IC to all Club lounges.
Is this a race to the bottom? IC's lounge offering needs to compete with other 4-5* hotel lounge offerings, ie good Marriotts, Conrads (Hiltons lag behind based on personal experiences).

Lounge offering is one thing I consider before booking my hotel room.

IC-Paris LG can only jusify 140euro Lounge fee due to the standard of offerings, including allday champagne, especially as their lounge access does not provide foc restaurant b/f option.

Giving foc Lounge to RA whilst at same time reducing the offering will discourage many RAs from staying at the IC brand,

Also probably standard non-RA Ambassador's booking clubrooms, less offering for same clubroom-rate money will not be delighted either
scubaccr is offline  
Old Feb 4, 17, 11:21 am
  #341  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: BA Gold, IHG
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by ninjalad View Post
... is disappointing but will not stop me staying here.
Clearly we travel and stay at this IC for different reasons. I've only stayed at this IC for leisure, and the club experience used to be a big part of what made this hotel attractive for my family. In fact, we'd praised this IC lounge to managers of other ICs multiple times in our travels.

But having experienced the downward slope of changes starting at Xmas 2015, which happened to be the 5th year in a row we'd stayed at this exact IC for Xmas, we never even considered coming back at Xmas 2016. Well, to be honest, I briefly considered it, but having read the continued complaints of everyone on this thread which imply that things had gotten even worse, that was quickly dismissed.

So to each his own, but it does impact the spending choices of some of us.
dmp1991 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 17, 2:20 pm
  #342  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Amsterdam&Stuttgart& Edinburgh
Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Posts: 407
I also stay in Berlin as a leisure traveler. I guess as I have never used the club lounge for more than a drink and canape before going out for dinner then the reduction in food offerings does not matter so much. I do miss the sandwiches at lunchtime though. The afternoon offering is now three types of sandwich and a few cakes .
Over the years there have been some cut backs in various ways but at the same time the room rates are often lower than 2005 when I first started staying there, so I guess it is inevitable.
ninjalad is offline  
Old Feb 6, 17, 2:10 pm
  #343  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: PARIS (France)
Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Posts: 8,624
CLUB INTERCONTINENTAL SERVICES
Exclusive check in / out
Private concierge service
Breakfast buffet from 7am to 11am
Afternoon tea from 2 pm to 5 pm
Evening reception and bar service from 17.00 - 20.00 hours
Refreshments and coffee and tea specialties during the day
Mini bar included
International daily newspapers and magazines
Free internet access
Free meeting room for up to 8 people
Free access to the sauna and the relaxation area of ​​the SPA InterContinental
Free office station
Late check-out by availability

https://www.berlin.intercontinental....nental/english
nicolas75 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 17, 11:42 am
  #344  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,077
How sick is this? Fake room categories

This hotel is getting more an more creative with inventing fake room categories. We currently see (not mentioning the expensive suites):

TWIN BED LOW FLOOR
SUPERIOR ROOM
SUPERIOR KING ROOM WITH PARK VIEW
DELUXE ROOM KING
DELUXE ROOM KING ON HIGH FLOOR WITH VIEW
JUNIOR SUITE
BUSINESS ROOM
KING BED CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM
CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM KING WITH PARK VIEW
CLUB DELUXE ROOM
CLUB DELUXE ROOM KING WITH VIEW
CLUB JUNIOR SUITE
2 ROOM SENIOR SUITE

The range between DELUXE and CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM KING WITH PARK VIEW sees a price difference of 60 EUR in less than 10 EUR steps. This is nothing but inventing fake room categories to avoid upgrades. For Monday I have booked DELUXE ROOM KING ON HIGH FLOOR WITH VIEW to receive a 2 ROOM SENIOR SUITE. What "view" do I get in the Berlin IC? Berlin Zoo? Skyline West? Siegessäule? Skyline East? Landwehrkanal? Budapester Straße?

If the RA upgrade from my books 42 sqm room on a high floor will result in a 30 sqm BUSINESS ROOM or a 30 sqm KING BED CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM they will have to deal with an "angry customer". I am really looking forward to this and will report.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Feb 10, 17, 12:36 pm
  #345  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Programs: IHG
Posts: 1,229
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
This hotel is getting more an more creative with inventing fake room categories. We currently see (not mentioning the expensive suites):

TWIN BED LOW FLOOR
SUPERIOR ROOM
SUPERIOR KING ROOM WITH PARK VIEW
DELUXE ROOM KING
DELUXE ROOM KING ON HIGH FLOOR WITH VIEW
JUNIOR SUITE
BUSINESS ROOM
KING BED CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM
CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM KING WITH PARK VIEW
CLUB DELUXE ROOM
CLUB DELUXE ROOM KING WITH VIEW
CLUB JUNIOR SUITE
2 ROOM SENIOR SUITE

The range between DELUXE and CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM KING WITH PARK VIEW sees a price difference of 60 EUR in less than 10 EUR steps. This is nothing but inventing fake room categories to avoid upgrades. For Monday I have booked DELUXE ROOM KING ON HIGH FLOOR WITH VIEW to receive a 2 ROOM SENIOR SUITE. What "view" do I get in the Berlin IC? Berlin Zoo? Skyline West? Siegessäule? Skyline East? Landwehrkanal? Budapester Straße?

If the RA upgrade from my books 42 sqm room on a high floor will result in a 30 sqm BUSINESS ROOM or a 30 sqm KING BED CLUB SUPERIOR ROOM they will have to deal with an "angry customer". I am really looking forward to this and will report.
7, yes SEVEN categories in between Junior and Senior suite..! Incredible. I suppose that whoever was responsible for inventing these categories, they are very pleased with themselves. It is Pathetic.
Is this designed to "punish" RA's because they're now being offered complimentary lounge access?
turner32 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: