Search

Do you prefer Holiday Inn Express to Holiday Inn

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Do you prefer Holiday Inn Express to Holiday Inn

We all know about rolling the dice on place that we haven't visitied before. Overall, I think it's better to gamble on HIX than HI. I think this because almost all of the Express branded hotels are new hotels. In fact, the only "bad" one I have been to is the SLC Airport which is not a new hotel.

Your thoughts?
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:19 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I prefer HI-Expresses to HIs.

The Expresses seem newer and run with a tighter standards than HIs.

HIs seem older, bigger, no free breakfast and charge for parking. Some of the Inns haven't been renovated for some time, and it shows.

I don't really gamble when it comes to choosing properties. I check tripadvisor.com, Travelocity.com and people I know before showing up at a property I have never been to. So far, I haven't been disappointed much.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: FB Gold; PC Plat.
Absolutely. So far, only good experiences at HI Express, while HIs have been hit or miss to say the least (some of them excellent, some of them absolute dumps).
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
Same opinion as everyone else, HI is a classic brand which, I assume, most properties were built very long ago. Although, HI's may experience renovations, it's not the same as a fresh and new property. HIX is my pick all day long. Mostly negative experiences with HI.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
I check tripadvisor.com, Travelocity.com and people I know before showing up at a property I have never been to.
I find those kind of internet resources unreliable. I see hotels that are among the best I have ever been in get poor ratings and ones that I despise get good reviews.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 4:55 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by indufan
I find those kind of internet resources unreliable. I see hotels that are among the best I have ever been in get poor ratings and ones that I despise get good reviews.
I see bad reviews also. Sometimes, I just ignore them, which helps me out in the end.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
HIX is a relatively new brand with the majority of properties in renovated or newly built structures. There is a consistency to the product and thus one is likely to be less "surprised" when opening the room's door. This is not the case with HIs which, as someone noted, is a classic brand and thus has a major variance among properties. Properties are older and many still have not been brought up to a new standard.

Also, HIXs represent better value given the night rates can be up to 30% lower than an HI in the same market. Throw in the breakfast, and pretty much all one's needs are met.

But location is still the deciding factor for me. In Edmonton, a city I visit frequently on business, a newly renovated HIX opened up in the city centre just at the time I needed something more cost-effective than the CP, Westin or then-Sheraton. The HIX was perfect from all standpoints in meeting the need.

I will opt for HIs and CPs when I am familiar with the properties and I know I will be able to benefit from my Plat status for upgrading and other amenities. But when budget is the issue, HIXs tend to get my business -- as do Hilton Garden Inns and Sheraton Four Pts.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shareholder

But location is still the deciding factor for me. In Edmonton, a city I visit frequently on business, a newly renovated HIX opened up in the city centre just at the time I needed something more cost-effective than the CP, Westin or then-Sheraton. The HIX was perfect from all standpoints in meeting the need.
And in some cases, just as nice. I have been in several HIX (usually the "& Suites" deviation from the brand, that are just as nice as many 4* hotels. Ones that I can think of off the top of my head are PDX Airport, Black River Falls (Sadly between MSP & MSN), Wisconsin, and Greenwood (IND), Indiana.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:47 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by smileymike13
Same opinion as everyone else, HI is a classic brand which, I assume, most properties were built very long ago. Although, HI's may experience renovations, it's not the same as a fresh and new property. HIX is my pick all day long. Mostly negative experiences with HI.
Agree. HIX normally means lower price and newer property. Why stay at old and run down HI's then.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by indufan
We all know about rolling the dice on place that we haven't visitied before. Overall, I think it's better to gamble on HIX than HI. I think this because almost all of the Express branded hotels are new hotels. In fact, the only "bad" one I have been to is the SLC Airport which is not a new hotel.

Your thoughts?
I find HIX to be slighty newer with complimentry high speed internet and decent continental breakfast. I don't find many HI's in the US to be in good shape.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:41 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I choose a hotel more about of the location and the rate than the brand.

The HIX are new and most of the time in better conditions, as they have a standardised room. The HI are franchised and more or less differ in the room and the interior equipment as they are often converted hotels which joined HI later. This will be one point, if I book a to me yet unknown hotel.

But, if I have to choose between a HI and a HIX I will opt for the HIX.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:15 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
I have found myself more satisfied with the price to quality ratio of the HIX's vs. the HI's. As has been mentioned already, they do tend to be newer and cleaner. Also, I find these smaller properties more personable, and the check-in easier to deal with as those checking you in seem more personable, with more of a stake in seeing that you have a pleasant stay (which actually is the case in many of my stays as the person checking me in appeared to be the owner of the franchised hotel).
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Let's be clear on the difference between the US and other countries. In the US, I agree that HIX's are generally the best choice. In Europe, not so. Take London for example. The HI's are mostly really good. But the HIX near Victoria Station is not a new hotel and it is a real step down from the HI's. And it's quite a walk from Victoria Station. The HI Victoria station is across the street from the station. I always get upgraded to an Executive room there which is quite nice.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
I prefer HI-Expresses to HIs.
The Expresses seem newer and run with a tighter standards than HIs.
HIs seem older, bigger, no free breakfast and charge for parking. Some of the Inns haven't been renovated for some time, and it shows.
Certainly in the UK it's probably better now to go for a HIExp...but the cost of some of them is rising rapidly...a victim of their own success perhaps?
Old Jul 22, 2005, 4:40 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I've been quite pleased by my upgrades in HI's - never been to a HI-X where there was even a room to be upgraded to. HI-x's aren't much cheaper than HI's over here either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.