Cancellation Policy for RA members

Old Mar 14, 2005, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Cancellation Policy for RA members

I have booked some rooms for a trip I may have to cancel. I booked these on the IC website at the advance booking rate which shows the full rate for the entire stay may be charged if cancelled.

My question is if there is any latitude for RA members? I would hope there is.

I have not called IC yet as I would prefer to get your advice on this matter first. Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I wouldn't bet the farm on this one. Maybe they'd let you push out the stay a few days as a special accomodation but I'd be very surprised if a refund is in your future.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You might be able to convince them to change the date, but otherwise it's an iffy business.

A few months ago, I was booking several stays for an upcoming trip. I had not noticed that the dates had gone back to the default, which was that day's date. It was coincidental the date I thought I was booking was the same day, but four months out.

When I printed out one of the reservation, I discovered the error and realized I had just booked the IC in Buenos Aires for that very night, and it was 11pm here and midnight there. It was at a corporate rate, but because it was past the official cancellation hour, I could not cancel it on the web. I called the IC Ambassador res number and explained the situation to the man at the other end. He took down the details and said he would contact the hotel directly and ensure I was not charged for the no-show, or for cancelling after the 6pm cutoff for guaranteed accommodation. He also rebooked me for the correct month.

The charge never did appear on my Amex card. However, as I noted, this was for a non-prepaid rate. As posted on another thread, I never book non-cancellable, prepaid rates until I am 100% certain of my travel plans. In the interim, I book the lowest fully flexible rate, then a few days before travel, rebook at the lower prepaid rate.

Good luck, though.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:27 am

Programs: Newbie in everything =p
Nice strategy Shareholder, in regards to booking at the lowest flex rate, then rebooking at the lower prepaid rate. =p. I never thought of doing that lol.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Shareholder, the funny thing is I had the same problem with the same hotel, the IC in BA. I realized I booked the wrong dates using the advance booking web rates. So I called RA centre and they corrected it quickly after they called the hotel itself in BA to get their OK. All worked out successfully in the end.

However my question is different. I am considering cancelling a trip to HKG which I made on the same advance web rates when I was 100% convinced of taking this trip. Now things have come up which makes me consider cancelling this trip. I have alreadly booked airlines as well as hotels at IC.

So I am still wondering if RA status means enough to request a cancellation/refund? Or can I put in a colleagues name who is also going there? And how much will I be charged....if it is only one night I might be able to live with that but certainly not 4 nights which is very costly.

I have not yet called IC Res to discuss this as I hoped to get good advice from fellow RA members first. Nor have I decided definitely to cancel this trip. Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In my experience you can put in a colleagues name on your reservation and he can use it. I haven't tried it in HKG though.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
As Stimpy says, if your colleague is still travelling, call the IC res number and have them put that person's name on the reservation in addition to yours. Then when s/he checks in, your colleague can explain you had to cancel at the last minute. As long as you authorize him/her to check in on your behalf -- and s/he takes over the charges should these not have been put through in advance [a lot of times they actually do not put the charge through until after the stay is over at check-out] -- it should be fine. The hotel will likely withdraw the suite upgrade unless your colleague is also a RA.

I have actually just done this with with a booking I made a few months ago, anticipating I would be able to attend the Valencia Las Fallas. I booked a very good corporate rate at the HI, and the hotel is now almost full and charging twice as much. One of the people who is still going asked if he could take over my reservation. I called IC and added him to the booking, instructing them to let him check in in advance of my arrival. I will not, of course, be using the room, so he can take over the charges. [I may or may not get my PC points for the stay, we shall see.] I did this once before in Chicago, and my friend was able to take over the booking. I still got the PC points, and she got a spendid upgrade to "the best hotel room I've ever had" according to her thank you note upon returning.

BTW my BA booking was at a corporate, cancellable rate. Just that I made it after the cancellation hour, and I always book with a credit card guarantee.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: Platinum Royal Ambassador,GC Elite,HH Gold,DC Gold,*A Gold
I had to cancel a stay at an IC not so long ago and called the hotel direct explained I couldnt make it and was told if they had charged my card they couldn't refund but if they hadn't they would simply cancel the reservation without charge, I said ohh it was a advanced purchase rate and that they had no doubt took the money, I was told maybe not as they some times dont take the money till a few days before lucky for me they hadn't taken it.

I also got a refund on a advance booking at the Legrand Paris after they took the money off my card, which was nice, guess its up to the individual hotel on if they will have a cancel charge.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Dino, thanks this gives me hope in case I do decide to cancel this reservation.

On the other hand if any wish to take it over for me in HKG, let me know with a private message. I can give dates and details then but I do not wish to post them in public for now. Cheers and thanks to all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.