Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC The Willard Washington Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2005, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

IC The Willard Washington Master Thread [merged]

This is a long overdue post regarding my stay at the Willard last November as a Royal Ambassador. The Willard is a beautiful historical hotel located right on Pennsylvania close to the Mall. Both the facilities of the hotel and the service were excellent.

We were upgraded to a one bedroom corner suite that must have been over 1,000 square feet (even more than 100 square meters I'd say). Besides two full baths, the suite had two mini-bar refrigerators, a spacious living room and dining area with seating for four. We had booked a discounted daily rate of approximately $200 on the internet, so we were very satisfied with the upgrade.

We were not charged for any drinks taken from the mini-bar (per standard RA program benefits). We did not eat any of the snack items. We were also charged for internet access (I believe somewhere around $15 to $20 per day). We were given a credit each day for breakfast as this was included in our room rate and enjoyed a very impressive room service breakfast both mornings of our stay.

I would highly recommend the Willard. The hotel's public areas are very impressive as are the rooms that might be described as classically luxurious. The bed (mattress and linens) was very comfortable. Finally, the service was top-notch, professional and friendly as well!
Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:53 am

Thanks for the report, fan.
I will be at the Willard in May for the weekend using the ambassador cert. I'm not a royal, but hopefully my experience will be nice. We are looking forward to it.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 11:53 am

We had a wonderful stay at the Willard last April. I was an Ambassador at the time and used a free night cert. The room was very large and the bed was divine. They had stands of cherry blossom branches placed throughout the lobby and lining "Peacock Avenue", an interior promenade. The eponymous restaurant was delightful. I look forward to returning.

You might look into seeing the comedy troupe "The Capitol Steps", a block away on Pennsylvania Ave. in the Reagan building, if they are performing. Very funny bi-partisan political humor.
Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL-S,NW-S,*W-P,6C-Pl&RA
Just returned today from a 3 day weekend at the Willard. Great location and wonderful hotel. Staff was very friendly and prompt.

Upgraded to a large "Willard room" with 2 queen size beds. Fruit plate, chocolate covered cherries and bottled water as welcome amenity.

Internet in the room is now $ 9.95 per 24 hour period, parking is $ 28/overnite.

Had breakfast coupons as part of the room rate and was excellent although for 2 will run $ 50. My son had lunch one day in the coffee shop - nice Caesar salad with chicken.

Used points for 3rd night, ambassador coupon for 2nd and paid for 1st night. Crazy but worked out as cost effective for a personal trip.

will use again for business since location is prime and very comfortable room.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Internet access should be FREE at any hotel, just like television. Paying $10 a month when there are many ISPs that only charge $10 for a whole month is a rip-off. Get a BlackBerry phone with e-mail or buy a laptop with a wireless card and go to a public area. It beats paying these stupid charges.

If I'm paying $100 or more a night for a room, I expect free internet.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Priority Club Plat AMB.,HHonors Gold,Amex
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I'm paying $100 or more a night for a room, I expect free internet.
I agree with that totally. It really makes you realize what methods companies use to gain a profit. If any regular ole HIX property can offer free internet then why can't a luxury hotel offer it for free. Basically it's a situation where they know the guests are willing to pay top dollar for accomodations compared to others at the more low end brands.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I have a hard time justifying staying at high-end chains, such as the IC, because many of them attempt to rip you off by charging for extras, such as the internet, that should be free.

In my opinion, the IC brand is in a lot of trouble right now. It's losing more properties and many of their exisiting ones cannot compete with other top-end brands.

I have stayed at some really nice HI or HIXs that offer more features than some ICs. I have stayed in the so-called "junior suites" at the IC downtown Toronto and they're nothing special and definitely not worth their rate. I have seen as nice and sometimes nicer rooms at hotels much cheaper.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Given the new NHL contract you'll have to get used to HIXs cause if you are a player, you'll need to save the $s.

HIXs can provide free internet and other such services because their overheads are low. High end properties, ICs, Conrads, Luxury Collection and the like cost many times more to operate and thus must charge for each individual service provided, even if their nightly room rates at three times those of HIXs.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Given the new NHL contract you'll have to get used to HIXs cause if you are a player, you'll need to save the $s.

HIXs can provide free internet and other such services because their overheads are low. High end properties, ICs, Conrads, Luxury Collection and the like cost many times more to operate and thus must charge for each individual service provided, even if their nightly room rates at three times those of HIXs.
Most of the NHL community uses the Marriott brand family. And I think that’s a bunch of bullcrap – it doesn’t cost much at for internet, especially in large hotels. I'm just glad that with my wireless card I can pick-up several open signals from offices. :-)
Old Jul 14, 2005, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
As this has drifted on to internet - I'll offer my comments

I guess high-end spots are losing out on phone charges (to cell phones) but still have to provide the telephony infrastructure. Wickedly high-cost internet charges help recoup some costs.

Many business offices appear to be provided under contract, cranking up prices to pay hotel and service provider.

There is some consumer justification in pricing access so high. It keeps iinternet stations free. At a dollar a minute you tend to limit your time at the keyboard. When its free, there's a tendency to drag out the browsing - like the terminal hoggers in airport lounges
Old Jul 14, 2005, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Thanks for the nice report on the Willard. I believe in free internet also, but a larger peeve is parking fees.
I can understand that IC's may need to impose a charge but their rates tend to be twice that of nearby facilities.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 6:41 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Does anyone know whether the Willard's in-room internet is wired or wireless? Thanks.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:20 pm

Programs: NW (Plat), PriorityClub (Plat)
Great Location

In July my spouse and I enjoyed staying at the Willard for our first visit to DC. Proximity to many interesting sites was a great plus. Also enjoyed being able to rely on the train/Metro from the airport so we didn't have to deal with cost and hassle of parking. I echo the earlier positive reviews for this property.
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by to and fro
Also enjoyed being able to rely on the train/Metro from the airport
That sounds great, where does the train/metro stop near the Willard?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 10:55 am
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
The Metro Center Station. Take the 12th and F exit, and the back entrance to the hotel is about 2 blocks away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.