Search

Newbie IC Guest and Ambassador Member Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie in everything =p
Smile Newbie IC Guest and Ambassador Member Plz Help

Hiya!
Wow, I went through some of the threads at work, but then my supervisor yelled at me so yea, and since Im stuck with a 56K at my home, I was hoping I could post some questions and not have to search through the forum. Its my first time and this is my first post but yea anyway, to the questions.
I booked a stay the last weekend of February 2005, at the IC Mark Hopkins in San Francisco, CA. Has anyone ever stayed here before? How was the staff like? I did my usual "front-desk test" where I call the FD Staff at three different times a day and ask them questions and gauge their attitude, and they passed but how many of you have actually stayed there? To be honest, I've only stayed in SF twice and that was for airport transfers, and I stayed at the Pan Pacific. Since I'm actually planning on seeing the city, I heard the IC Mark was a good hotel.
I also joined the Ambassador program (I'm like the bottom one, not the Royal elite one) but I heard theres a room upgrade and extended checkout, however, because I'm quite paranoid a bit about the ext. checkout, and I don't want to be stuck with my luggage and a flight that leaves a 8pm, I tried calling the front desk to confirm the late check out and the clerk told me the latest was 2pm. Ohhh k...
My next question/situation is that I got the Superior Room at a discounted rate, I was wondering if the room upgrade still applies. Also I read that you have to remind the FD Clerk to upgrade you, is this true? Gosh.
Finally, (im so sorry for asking so many questions but Im assuming a lot of you are very helpful) I'm flying into the Oakland Airport and I'd prefer not to use any shared van/shuttle services. Any recommendations for a private ground transfer? I was considering Execucar or VirginLimo. Rate isnt really an issue as I got a good deal on my airfare, but the most efficient service would be appreciated. Oh and I don't want a Taxi, so a private sedan would be sufficient.
Thanks! Plz plz plz respond with as much info as possible. It's my first time at any IC and I honestly dont know what to expect or what to ask for.
Thanks!

Dean
Old Feb 15, 2005, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Bump! I really need advice peoples... 26 views and no replies... =(
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ambassador room upgrade is, theoretically, guaranteed. However, you should always check with the desk that it has been done. You should also, when you book, put a comment such as "Ambassador member" in the comment line of the booking to jog their memories. Upgrades are given on any room rate, although theoretically not on free reward stays.

The same goes for the fresh fruit, water, free newspaper, welcome gift etc. Sometimes its there, sometimes they need a polite reminder.

Ambassador late check-out is 4pm, so you should have pushed the hotel on this. As the brochure says "Your schedule is more important than ours".

As an Ambassador, the hotel will arrange a chauffeur service for you. This is NOT free. You should have had a booklet with your Ambassador card listing the price for each hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
A very warm welcome to omniscorpio to FlyerTalk and the IC forum in particular. I can only give you limited, but perhaps somewhat useful opinions on the Mark Hopkins.

I have only stayed at the Mark Hopkins after attaining RA status. As an RA, I booked the lowest/cheapest category of room and was upgraded to a two room suite overlooking SF Bay. It really was a nice room. There was a thread or maybe two around the time I last stayed there (around January 2nd, this year) dealing with different people's perceptions of the Mark. It is an older hotel, but I found the service, the front desk, and the Club IC to be very good. Others have found that the standard rooms are not as nice as other hotels in SF, and that being an older building the soundproofing does not drown out noise in some rooms.

A note on the Club IC. Unusual in my experience, the Club is just off the lobby and reception desk on the main floor. Most IC clubs are on separate floors with "Club" guest rooms making up the rest of the floor. Sometimes there are even separate elevators or entrances. So, at the Mark, they are perfectly willing to sell you Club admittance for a fee. I forget, but I think the asking price is about $60, but is only $25 (this is per day) for RA's. I was alone, but nevertheless thought that the $25 was an ok deal. The Club is nice with food and refreshments and other amenities such as satellite radio listening stations, big screen tv, free WiFi etc. The staff of the Club in SF was very very good, IMO. However, I probably would not pay $60/night when alone even though I like the Club very much.

Room service was very good to me. The workout facilities are not that great or inviting. Getting around town from and to the Mark is fun/a pain (depending on your point of view) because it's on top of the very steep Nob Hill -- I always rode the cable cars and had a blast, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Can't comment on ground transport as I rarely get to SF. I definitely would stay at the Mark again -- it actually is one of my favorite IC's. However, I know others disagree with my assessment, so YMMV.

Finally, on upgrades. As an RA, I always email ahead of time and request the upgrade. This sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. However, politely mentioning it at checkin always works. As an Ambassador, it was sometimes difficult to discern the upgrade as the hotel's view of the next class of room sometimes is not solely tied to room size. However, I encourage you to always politely enquire about upgrades if the desk does not mention it in the first few minutes of your interaction.

For some reason, some IC's are much better than others about being on top of who is an Ambassador or an RA, and about ensuring that such folks receive their upgrades without having to ask. As I recall, I heard nothing from the Mark ahead of time, and asked after a few minutes at checkin. I had the impression the desk clerk had not seen my status yet, and had to change directions and find me a suite. It was all handled professionally and courteously.

I hope this helps in some small way. Sorry for the long post. Welcome to FT! -- Casimir

Last edited by Casimir; Feb 15, 2005 at 1:27 pm
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Yay!
Thank you two so much for responding to my post RJB and Casimir!
RJB-
I contacted the concierge (so I can also arrange for my ground transfer from the Oakland Airport) but the lady told me that checkout is 12pm. Its not likely that I can get a late checkout past 1pm. =( (the other front desk guy told me 2pm, but no one mentioned 4pm). The concierge staff member told me if I wanted to stay past 1pm, I'd have to pay for a half day-which I guess isnt bad, seeing how I got the room rate for a decent price, but then I thought it came as part of the Amb. thingie.
Casimir-
Ive seen you used the acronym "YMMV" a lot, I'm not quite sure what it stands for, and its been buggin me, do you mind writing it out just this once?
Whats the best way to "politely" ask for an upgrade? What words or even better, what do you personally say? I normally don't join hotel programs, but instead just book whatever level I want, so I never actually asked for an upgrade, but in this case, it is my understanding that our room should be upgraded upon arrival-without our own intervention. From a Superior Room (which is where Im booked into), which upgrade would I get? A Deluxe? Or just a "higher-floor" Superior Room? To be honest, since ive never stayed at the MH before I wouldnt know the diff between a Sup. and a Del. Room. I'm actually more worried about the 4pm checkout since I have a evening flight out of Oakland.
If any other posters who have stayed at the MH or know something about theyre first time staying at one and what to expect, please post away. I'm referred to a MH thread some time ago, but the search feature I guess isnt working... and I did attempt to barge 9 pages deep into the archives, but I still didn't find much of anything. So any additional advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:22 pm

(1) YMMV = Your mileage may vary.

(2) Politely asking for upgrades, an example (others chime in here):

After a few minutes of clerk clicking on keyboard:

Casimir: Sir/Madam, here's my Priority Club card in case you need it to process my Ambassador upgrade.

Clerk: (Usually) Thank you sir, I didn't realize you were an Ambassador. OR, Thank you sir, I already have that information.

(3) Upgrades ARE supposed to be done automatically, but many threads here have indicated that is not the case despite the Ambassador program's representations to the contrary. Even as a RA, I still make sure to ask at checkin, after emailing a week ahead of time.

(4) What constitutes an upgrade from a particular kind of room is difficult to say, also the subject of alot of discussion here, and virtually impossible to predict ahead of time. One thing that I think most here would agree upon, if you are dissatisfied or think you haven't been upgraded, a polite followup at the front desk, to the manager if necessary, very often yields a nicer room. No reason not to try. Some might even suggest NOT being polite, but that's a matter of personal style.

(5) On late checkout, I thought that was an Ambassador benefit as well. If I am correct (check your Ambassador materials or the PC website where I believe they are posted), I wouldn't talk to the concierge, but the desk clerk at checkin. This is the benefit that they normally should have very little trouble extending.

I know others might be more direct help on some of your questions.

Best, Casimir
Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Just another question (sorry), I keep reading that you send an email to the hotel a week before arrival. Is this a special email or is this just the one thats listed on the hotel frontpage (www.markhopkins.net) for an example. What should be in the context of my email? Would simply stating my name, confirmation number, arr/dep dates and mentioning im a Amb. be sufficient or would I need to provide more info?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't want any part of my first first trip to SF (thats not just a stay near the airport) to be as perfect as possible, it would be a shame if some incompetent staff were to ruin it (i'm already seeing that possibility with the whole check out thing).
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:52 am

I send an email to the email address on the website with, as I've mentioned before, some limited success. I actually started a thread on this a few months ago asking which IC's answer their emails. The consensus was not that many.

Just my opinion, but I think you should not get too worried about all of this. In the vast majority of my stays at IC's, I am treated according to their promises with some minor annoyances, such as having to remind them at checkin of my RA status. But, those annoyances are nothing to me compared to what I perceive to be the real benefits of being an RA. Yes, you should take as many steps as you can beforehand, but there's only so much control you can exercise! Enjoy SF. Casimir
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:39 pm

I called the reservations number on the back of my card to ask if I could upgrade to a Deluxe harbour view at IC HK. She said that she showed I already have a deluxe room reserved, even though my reservation says something else. She also said I could use my free night certificate without any problems.

Its too bad the IC HK and GS were booked up most of the week I wanted to visit. I was only able to snag Friday and Saturday.

I'm willing to bet that if you book with their website, the upgrade is reserved automatically at booking. Otherwise, you might have to ask for it at the front desk.

Make sense? If you book through a travel agent's system how would the hotel know you were AMB until you showed them your card. I guess this is another perk to booking direct.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
If you book through a travel agent's system how would the hotel know you were AMB until you showed them your card. I guess this is another perk to booking direct.
Part of the job of a good TA is to ensure all your frequent flyer/stayer program numbers are recorded on the reservation and you get all the elite benefits you are entitled to. You are paying them for a service -- or in the case of hotels, they are still getting a commission -- so you should be getting it, to a degree that even exceed that if you yourself were making the booking.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 7:24 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Originally Posted by OmniScorpio
Bump! I really need advice peoples... 26 views and no replies... =(
would advise, but I don't have a magnifying glass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.