IC Presidente Cancun Resort Master Thread [merged]

Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:14 pm

I stayed here twice before and considering going back with my 5-year old; but I don't recall any entertainment or kids club that might keep him occupied. My favorite thing on my previous stays was the calm, shallow water. Are there any other hotels in the area that would have access to the same beach, but may be a little more lively for small kids?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Delta 1MM, IHG Spire, IC AMB, Hertz Pres
I've stayed at this property twice with my wife. The other 2 times we went to Cancun when our kids were small, we stayed in the property right next door, towards the Caribbean side.

Ambiance Villas has the same quality beach, and kids activities. As a matter of fact, both times we were there with the kids, they were the only ones doing the kids activities, so it worked out quite well.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:53 pm

just completed a stay in late Apr.; got charged $9 USD/d for service/resort fee; questioned about it & was told the fee has been imposed effective 3/1//2019... WTH, a resort/service fee? this is not LAS; it was only an ok stay; won't likely come back
Old May 1, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by danhouston
just completed a stay in late Apr.; got charged $9 USD/d for service/resort fee; questioned about it & was told the fee has been imposed effective 3/1//2019
If your booking was prior to the stated date, and/or your booking confirmation doesn't mention a resort fee, you probably should not have paid it.

... WTH, a resort/service fee? this is not LAS;
Which probably explains why the resort fee was $9 and not $51 (the latest reported resort fees at the LAS IC properties).

At least Cancun has some justification for a resort fee, in terms of beach related services.I recall it by far being the best beach in that hotel area,mostly free from sellers, and with decent beach/pool service.

It's a long walk from LAS ICs to the nearest shoreline

Having been to the LAS properties on several occasions, I can't see any value in the resort fee, so not surprised you don't see any value in the cancun fee.
bsdstone likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by tangey
If your booking was prior to the stated date, and/or your booking confirmation doesn't mention a resort fee, you probably should not have paid it.

Which probably explains why the resort fee was $9 and not $51 (the latest reported resort fees at the LAS IC properties).

At least Cancun has some justification for a resort fee, in terms of beach related services.I recall it by far being the best beach in that hotel area,mostly free from sellers, and with decent beach/pool service.

It's a long walk from LAS ICs to the nearest shoreline

Having been to the LAS properties on several occasions, I can't see any value in the resort fee, so not surprised you don't see any value in the cancun fee.
thought to mention as not aware of a resort fee charged by IC; btw, i don't pay resort fee at LAS
Old Nov 16, 2019, 12:55 pm

If I book a club room, do I have free breakfast buffet in the restaurant, or only at the club lounge? If not, can I pay the upcharge to have the full buffet breakfast? How much is the upcharge? Thanks.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
If I book a club room, do I have free breakfast buffet in the restaurant, or only at the club lounge? If not, can I pay the upcharge to have the full buffet breakfast? How much is the upcharge? Thanks.
We stayed in a Club Room 2 years ago and were not offered breakfast in the restaurant. Staying again in a Club Room over Thanksgiving and can ask.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
We stayed in a Club Room 2 years ago and were not offered breakfast in the restaurant. Staying again in a Club Room over Thanksgiving and can ask.
Thank you for offering to help, but no need to ask now.
The response I got from the hotel is the free breakfast is only offered in the lounge ($24 upcharge for restaurant buffet).
The hotel also offers complementary upgrade to ocean view room and Club access if I sign up for the IC Ambassador program. I think this is a reasonable offer since they want $50/day for langoon view/club access for 2 persons.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 6 MM | Amex Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Diamond | IHG Spire Elite | Bonvoy Plat.
I just got back from a 4 night stay at this hotel. I've been coming to Cancun for 30 years and stayed at 20 different hotels here. I mostly stay over near the Ritz Carlton or Westin Lagunamar hotels. I heard that although the hotel wasn't as nice as it's older that the beach here was the absolute best in Cancun. I have 3 kids including a 4 year old and this beach definitely is the best in Cancun. Really no big waves at all and crystal clear water and most importantly no seaweed here. I was also in Playa Del Carmen and Tulum and you could barely go into the water there as there was so much sargassum. But here there was absolutely none and I'd come here again just for the great beach.

I had 4 IHG free night certificates that I had to use or they were going to expire in December 2020. I rarely stay at IHG hotels as I'm a Hyatt Globalist and Hilton Diamond so mostly stay there or Marriott hotels. I typically only stay in IHG hotels when I have to burn my free night certificates from the IHG credit card. I used 25,000 points per night for the remaining nights as I booked 2 rooms.

Upon initial check-in they take everyone's temperature and you can't get into the hotel if your temperature was over 99 degrees. Other than the initial check-in they never made you take your temperature again. Restaurants around town and even the airport transfer company all did the same thing with the temperature. And sometimes with it being so very hot and humid out if you're walking around a bit you can register over that. One day my wife was carrying our daughter and it registered just slightly over and she had to wait a minute and sure enough it went down. So places are really careful. You also have to wear your mask at initial check-in but then after that they didn't hassle you to wear masks again except to enter a restaurant and then you can take off at table.

I read that the hotel had connecting rooms and with the hotel occupancy rates only being 15% I figured it would not be a problem. I called several times before our arrival but they kept saying they couldn't guarantee it and to check upon check-in. At check-in I was really disappointed that they didn't have connecting rooms. They did put us in two rooms next to one another but they definitely had to have connecting rooms available as there literally was almost no one at the hotel. I offered to pay more to get upgraded to that type of room. But I think they just closed off entire floors and probably didn't want to have to hassle with it. The guy at check-in was kind of grumpy. I'm also a Spire Elite IHG member but that didn't seem to make a difference at all. And the Club Lounge was totally closed.

The rooms looked like they were renovated in the past few years. I didn't have any issues at all other than they were kind of dark at night and not enough lighting. The AC works really good and the rooms get super cold. In Playa Del Carmen at the Grand Hyatt we got frustrated the rooms didn't get that cold but no problems here. Great shower pressure too.

Definitely the highlight of the stay was the beach area. I can't emphasize enough how great the beach area is. The pool area almost no one was in because the water in the pool was so extremely hot. I don't even mean warm but totally hot. I'm not sure they ever change that water at all. Other hotels we stayed at this trip the water while it got warm wasn't anything like this. The only one that liked it was our young 4 year old daughter so said it was like bath water.

It was great with the non-existent crowds as we never had to worry about lounge chairs. There were tons in the shade with palm trees. They also had a few hammocks. The beach was fine sand everywhere and they had an area that boats and jet skis could come up. In fact, one day our friend that lives in Cancun came to get us in his sailboat. He pulled right up and then got us in his little boat.

They have an activities area with jet skis you can rent right at the hotel beach. But you can walk down to the beach to the right and there are the same jet skis at much cheaper. They wanted $65 US per 30 minutes or $130 per hour at the IC Presidente area. But if you just wanted a paddle boat they had this cool big paddle boat with a slide attached that you could rent and take into the ocean.

They had a bunch of guys working near the beach that would take drink and food orders and the food was actually pretty good. Prices were reasonable for a resort hotel. I don't like this area as much as it's not convenient compared to other places but we didn't mind and it was worth it for the beach area. Most places around town were closed. They just opened Coco Bongo bar area but not the club. Our driver told us.

DEFINITELY go to Tora to eat dinner. That place is beautiful at sunset and the food was amazing. All in all a great stay and I'd come back for the beach area.

Last edited by saint; Jul 22, 2020 at 3:59 pm
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I had a three night disappointing stay last week. The one class upgrade offered by my Ambassador status was granted the day before check-in. This took me from a Club King to a Club suite. The room was nice but had an endless stream of maintenance issues. On arrival, there was a leak from the ceiling near the closet. The bath never had any hot water, despite numerous visits by maintenance and the toilet would not flush for a few hours.
The Club Lounge is on the ground floor next to Reception and is large with in and outside areas. Evening service starts at 6pm and Breakfast at 7am. Service is provided by the team there who serve from behind the bar. Service is slow but friendly.
The restaurants were pretty ok, and as I had a $50 per day credit in the rate, I ate lunch each day. I did Room Service on one evening, although this wasn't covered by the credit and it was prompt and tasty.
So, an OK stay but I wouldn't be back.

Outside view back to hotel

Sitting Room

View from Restaurant at dusk
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:19 pm

Recently stayed here end of May using free night certs. Got upgraded to ocean view king room. View was nice but room was quite small, esp when we had a crib for baby girl. No balcony. Besides the pools and the beautiful beach, there’s nothing much to this resort. Food was not that good and service was super slow even when they weren’t busy. We wouldn’t stay here again. If we had to do it over, we’d stay here first before moving to the Hyatt Ziva, where rooms were larger with balconies, more entertainment for adults and kids, better food and service.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:19 pm

Recently stayed here end of May using free night certs. Got upgraded to ocean view king room. View was nice but room was quite small, esp when we had a crib for baby girl. No balcony. Besides the pools and the beautiful beach, there’s nothing much to this resort. Food was not that good and service was super slow even when they weren’t busy. We wouldn’t stay here again. If we had to do it over, we’d stay here first before moving to the Hyatt Ziva, where rooms were larger with balconies, more entertainment for adults and kids, better food and service.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 6:08 am

Programs: BA GGL IHG PlatAMB HH Dia
Can someone say what the price breakfast is? Bcs there is a rate availible with 50 USD food/drink credit per night and what is left after breakfast.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: UA, QFF, AA, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Circle.
2022/01/3 Update
We are IHG Platinum Ambassador.
I booked 3 nights using IHG points "2 Queen Classic Terrace" room.

When we arrived, apparently the Concierge Desk takes care of all the IHG status holders and we were told we got "upgraded" to the Tower side, on the 5th floor.
However, I told them I wanted to decline the upgrade and if they can just put us in the Level 1 (ground floor) side of the hotel. This gives us easy and quick access to the pool/beach and parking lot. We had a rental car.

The most interesting situation is that when I asked for Club Lounge access, he said "Sure okay".
So, it's not clear to me why a lowly Platinum Ambassador like me got the Club Lounge access, but perhaps, I can only assume that since we declined the Room Upgrade, he may have just given us the Club Lounge access(?). Your mileage may vary here, so yeah.

The "Welcome" letter indicated that you can get 10,000 IHG points if there is no room upgrade. So, the next day, I went back to the concierge desk and asked them if I could receive the 10,000 points since I didn't take the upgrade. So, yeah I also got back 10,000 points.

IC Amb also get the measly USD20 per stay credit for food, beverages etc. Yeah, it's just per stay, and does not cover things like "tips" etc.

The Club Lounge access is really good. Hot breakfast with decent variety of protein, carbs and veggies, cheese and fruit platters, made to order egg/omelet station etc.
During happy hour which starts at 5pm, there is a variety of finger food, 3 bottles of different wines and sweets etc.

The only thing to watch out for, is the USD9.00 resort fee per day which you must pay immediately upon check-in. For our 3 night stay, we paid USD27.00
I am not sure how anyone could get out of this one....

Hotel itself is okay for us, and most of the previous commenters/pictures are pretty accurate.
(Note: We stayed at another IC in Cozumel and it was so much better there albeit no Club Lounge at that location)
The room which we kept the "Classic Terrace" seems small and outdated. But it was clean and fine for us.

When compared to other newer hotel structures and buildings here in Cancun, the IC Cancun building looks small, and outdated.
You can tell easily, where most of the people/crowd flock to...

But overall, having the free Club Lounge access (YMMW) made our stay very happy!

Last edited by me4tux; Jan 3, 2022 at 10:25 am Reason: minor
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, BA Gold
First warning sign should have been that I sent 3 emails and that they never bothered responding.

Just checked in here and shocked about the room, definitely the worst Intercontinental room I've stayed in (especially after staying last night in the IC Lisbon on the way here, which was excellent). Room is very dated and soundproofing very poor, even though they advertise with recently renovated. You can hear everything from next door and the hallway. Should better be a Holiday Inn, but definitely quite disappointing for an IC, and I will think twice again before booking a stay at an Intercontinental again. Booked for 30k points per night (which is way too high for this hotel), Spire Ambassador, upgraded to Ocean view room, no welcome amenity. They did not offer lounge access even when I asked. Pool facilities also incredibly dated, and then they even charge a resort fee even on reward stays.

I would definitely advise anyone against staying here.

​​​​​

Last edited by petter2; Jan 16, 2022 at 5:43 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.