Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:14 am

IC Nha Trang

IC Nha Trang, Vietnam

Also a quick update:
Upgrades as reported before, executive suite for an additional charge well worth the money. Club lounge is very nice and has improved further, but still needs some more refinement.

Breakfast is has improved and is on par with Saigon now.

Great hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:16 am

IC Bangkok

IC Bangkok

Also a quick update: Same upgrade as before (either suite or club). Club service very nice, offerings are ok, not great (as before). Otherwise not much has changed. Good hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
InterContinental London Park Lane

What is your Priority Club status?
Spire Elite Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
It was ok.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked room with points (rates were over 600 GBP), received Executive Room (facing the monument) with free minibar.

How are the rooms?

Some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...n-park-lane-2/

How is the exec. lounge?
No access.

What was your welcome gift?
Cookies, not really?

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
Good
  • Location, location, location
  • Fitnesscenter
  • Fast internet
  • Free minibar

Bad
  • I don't like the executive rooms. Oldfashioned is ok, but it's too much. A renovation would be a great idea.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
  • 50 000 Points are a lot, but the location is amazing.

Would you return?
I think I'll give the new IC a try next time.
I was given one of these old exec rooms on the corner once, just called up asked for the longer renovated ones. Changed with no problems
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC Frankfurt

IC Frankfurt

Yes (multiple stays)

Booked cheapest on AAA rate (which curiously included breakfast). Upgraded to a corner jr. suite (1000) with Club Access.

How are the rooms?
Perfectly OK. Nothing exceptional.

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice view. Extended hours (breakfast from 06:30, snacks, afternoon tea, free drinks until 20:30, dinner until 21:00, beer, wine and apfelwein seem to be on most of the day). Not always attended.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
A jar of chutney. Thankfully 100ml only. Not sure if liquid or solid; the German security checked it and OK'd it for carryon.

How was the minibar?
I remember more hard liquor before -- only 3 mini-bottles. A half of white, a half of red, a half of champagne. Beers, Apfelwein and usual soft drinks.

-Good
They remembered I've been there before.
Club Access is automatic for RAs
As I was leaving at 05:30 they prepared a box meal -- a sandwich, yogurt, OJ, mineral water. Nice of them
Nice location; 3 blocks from the train station, river view, walking distance to the museums (opposite side of the river), the financial district, the opera, a somewhat longer walk to the Old Town, or to the Sachsenhausen district with the "green wine" taverns. Quiet neighborhood.

-Bad
Lobby kind of boring and sterile. Hotel getting long in the tooth.

Actually quite good money for an IC in a major city; half the price of the swankier IC Dusseldorf, and turned out cheaper than the Hilton in Bonn. With all the RA benefits, a no-brainer. There are a few cheaper ICs out there, but I can't think of many in major world financial centers.

Would you return?
I do all the time, since FRA is a common layover thanks to UA/LH hub.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
IC Ishigaki

Absolutely phenomenal (multiple stays)

Booked Ambassador BOGO this time + 1 points night (3 nights total). Upgraded to Royal Suite. Again.

How are the rooms?
The Royal Suite is amazing. The view is surreal: full panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean, and the suite is huge. Terrace is spectacular.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge, unfortunately.

Yes, it changes every time. It's nothing spectacular, but a local gift of some sort usually.

How was the minibar?
It's decent but not amazing. Two Asahis, two Orions, a half bottle of white/red and undrinkable awamori (well, I'm sure some love it). Also tea and water (no Coke or anything).

-Good
- the treatment I continuously get at this hotel is unbelievable. It's on my top 5 list of ICs at this moment in time.
- Rooms are nice - maybe not the newest hotel, but everything is well equipped and excellent.
- Good facilities on the property - pool, 18-hole golf, 18-hole mini golf (where have you seen that??), sticky golf (yes, there really are three golfs)

-Bad
No lounge, unfortunately, and no breakfast for RAs.

Points-wise it might be a little bit on the expensive side (50K) but dollar-wise it can be had for decent prices. If combined with a BOGO, it almost becomes affordable I've been advised to explore some of the domestic Japanese package rates, though - the upgrades still apply, and apparently breakfast can be had in an otherwise affordable rate. I haven't done this yet, but intend to check it out.

Would you return?
Yes; partially because I love Ishigaki as a place, but also because of how well the hotel has been to us.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC Dusseldorf

IC Düsseldorf

Generally, yes.

Used rewards nights from a past promotion. Upgraded to an executive suite. No lounge access, though they offered to downgrade me and give me Club. On the welcome letter, it's stated as an explicit either/or.

How are the rooms?
Nice, a bit modern.

How is the exec. lounge?
In plain sight on the 2nd floor; I've been there before; it's nice though not big.

2 bottles of Gerolsteiner, and for some reason 2 fruit plates with 4 fruits each. Gift was a small booklet/catalog of an exhibition that takes place in the "vertical museum" inside the hotel (essentially, one panoramic photo per floor -- but since you need to use your keycard to activate the elevator, to see all the floors is a nontrivial effort.

How was the minibar?
Welcome letter warns that the benefit is not applicable for reward stays. Nor is the free movie benefit (has that changed, officially?) But I asked at check-in and they said yes it applies. So Schroedingerian.
Minibar pretty good, including about 10 mini-liquor bottles.

-Good
Pleasant enough.
Very artsy lobby space
Location if you like high-end shopping, it's on the Konigsallee. It's a bit over a kilometer to the train station and a similar distance to the Altstadt
Guaranteed early checkin went smoothly.
The bar is a good bar to people-watch. Cocktails expensive but Altbier is only 3 euro (sure, it's 2 in the pubs, but here you also get peanuts and wasabi snacks, and it's a swanky place to see and be seen).

-Bad
Seems to be a stickler for rules (minibar on reward stays) and a single benefit - upgrade or club.
Dusseldorf itself. It's a wealthy city, tidy and clean but boring. Other than the Altbier houses, it has less going for it than Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg, Dresden, Leipzig, Bonn, Hanover, etc. No major castle; only a modest art museum (which was closed for renovation) and not much else. When the top TripAdvisor attraction is basically a garage where people store their luxury and exotic cars, you know you're pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel. If you want interesting sights and history, take the train to Cologne, which is awesome. Or head out to the Neander Valley ("Thal"), where the first Neanderthal was uncovered.

Kinda pricey compared to other German ICs; if it were about $50 cheaper I'd have paid, but at the prices it made more sense to use freebies.

Would you return?
Yeah, if I have to be in Dusseldorf.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:41 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:12 am

IC Geneva

IC Geneva

Mostly.

Booked one paid night and two nights on points.

How are the rooms?

Flawless. And boring. In other words, Swiss.

How is the exec. lounge?

None.

Minimal.

How was the minibar?

Average. But not given for the free nights. There could have been a nudge, nudge, wink, wink, take stuff out of the minibar on your paid night and hide it. But I don't play that way.

-Good

Like most of Switzerland, perfectly functional but soulless.
Easy access to airport. One of the airport bus lines (I think it's #5 but check -- and not super easy to find) goes right past the hotel. And if you know, as you exit the secure area, head to a kiosk where you press a button and get a free ticket to ride public transport for 80 minutes after your arrival. Keep your boarding pass and free ticket just in case.
The free public transport continues -- ask at checkin or the concierge for a free pass using public transport during your stay. It's about 10-15 minutes or a long walk to downtown. It's only convenient if you have business with the Useless Nations or some of the other NGOs who have major boondoggles in this expensive city.

-Bad

Sticking to the rules on benefits.
Expensive.
Geneva is a pretty city in a stunning landscape, but it is no longer the crime-free paradise it once was. Foreigners or "youths" (you know what kind) residing in France come over the border, and Geneva itself has attracted foreign freeloaders as well, so there are neighborhoods you worry about being pickpocketed, which wasn't the case a decade ago.

It's a very expensive city, so prices are on par with that. Which means they're highly overpriced the way a Big Mac is, for $8 -- and if you order a Big Mac meal, you get no discount. That is pretty much a metaphor for Geneva.

Would you return?
When in Geneva, thanks to RA status, yes, but otherwise I think I'd stay at the 4 Seasons Bergues, or the Mandarin Oriental, or the Hotel de la Paix (just announced as a Ritz-Carlton partner hotel) instead, where you can walk around the city -- if the price is the same those would be far better venues.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:41 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:20 am

IC Warsaw Poland

IC Warsaw

Stayed 3 times recently.

Booked cheapest. Got suite upgrade. No Club Access. Offered buy-up but not worth it.

How are the rooms?

Nice hotel. I did kind of like the Olde World panache of the previous Warsaw IC, the Hotel Victoria, but this is much more contemporary.

How is the exec. lounge?

Did not visit.

I don't remember what, other than fruit. Offered points or a free drink at the bar as an amenity.

How was the minibar?

Competent.

-Good

Next to that hideous Stalinist "wedding cake" structure, walking distance to Old Town and everything, but it's a long walk, not a short walk. But taxis are cheap (just be careful and get a legit cab). $8 to/from the airport by taxi.
Friendly and cute front desk.

-Bad

No Club Access

Inexpensive.

Would you return?

Of course.

Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:35 am

IC Berlin

IC Berlin

Yes, but not bowled over

Booked cheapest, got executive suite. No Club Access (buy-up). Why can't it be like Frankfurt???

How are the rooms?

Unobjectionable.

How is the exec. lounge?

Overpriced for buy-up.

Some candy, I think.

How was the minibar?

Above average.

-Good

Nice quiet area, but have to walk a bit to get to anything interesting. You can walk to the zoo, where there are a few bars and curryworst stands if you're peckish. Everything else is pretty much a U-bahn or taxi away.
Bar is nice when it's lively, but sepulchral otherwise.

-Bad
Boring, no Club access, stick to rules.
Taxi driver who stands in line at the hotel pissed me off. I was going to the Berggruen Museum (go there, nice Picassos). I told the bellhop who told the driver, and also showed the driver a map with the museum circled on it. He headed East. I asked him if he knew where he was going, since the museum is near Charlottenburg (west). He said yes, When he got to the Brandenburg gate, and made a right to go into East Berlin instead of heading west I stopped him again -- oh, he thought I said "Pergamonmuseum." No fricking way. I said Berrgruen. I pointed to the map. The bellhop told him. This sort of thing doesn't usually happen in Germany, but he was taking me for a ride. He turned around and took me to the Berggruen. The meter was now up to 25 euro (which is more than it would be to the airport!) and he wanted me to pay it. I said no, that it should be about 10 to 12 euro, max, since he doubled up in the wrong direction. He started cursing me in Turkish (which I understood) and told me to get out. Which I did and he took off, screaming like a dervish.

Good value. Yes, stay here.

Would you return?
Yeah, I do regularly.

Old Oct 20, 2015, 4:46 am

IC Stephen F. Austin (Austin, TX)

IC Stephen F. Austin

Two stays recently

Booked cheapest, got suite. Club access automatic for RAs

How are the rooms?

Good, not great.

How is the exec. lounge?

Very underwhelming in terms of the evening snacks. Has Tito's vodka though. Breakfast somewhat limited but adequate.

Some sort of trail mix, I think.

How was the minibar?

Average, but bonus points for Tito's.

-Good

Location is good, close to 6th Street and what sort of passes as the walkable part of town (when it is not 100 fricking degrees out).
Nice classic hotel.
Roaring Fork is a good bar with a good happy hour. So is F. Scott's. But only the latter belongs to the hotel -- the other is in the hotel but leased so you can't charge to your room (!)

-Bad

Parking overpriced.
6th Street has gotten pretty tacky and shabby, but there are some better drinking holes within walking distance.

Steadily getting more and more expensive. Austin is hot, there is a room shortage and it seems there's a festival or convention driving up prices every time you're there.

Would you return?

Yup.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 22, 2015 at 12:43 am Reason: added name of hotel to post instead of post title only
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:36 am

IC Shenzhen

IC Shenzhen, China

Not really. This was one one of my favoured hotels, but it has deteriorated a lot.

Booked cheapest. Got suite and club access.

How are the rooms?
Relatively big, seperate living room, luggage room/closet and bedroom. Huge bathtub (takes 50 min to fill to a usable level. Forniture, especially around the work area shows a lot of wear.

How is the exec. lounge?
Relatively limited offerings for breakfast and high tea, lots of empty plates which were not refilled. Service extremely slow and barely understanding english. It was not perfect in the past but this was one of the worst club lounges in china.

Some ugly coaster. Relatively good size fruit basket, 3 cookies and two pieces of chocolates.

How was the minibar?

Sanitized. It had more alcohol before.

+ upgrade to suite and club
- service is nowhere near as good as before. Looks like they have cut down in training and also number of people
- Furniture gets old and worn. Chairs in the clublounge need upholstery badly.
- breakfast downstairs has turned more into cattle feeding with reduced offerings
- breakfast downstairs
- offerings and service in lounge
+ location: subway station in front of hotel, walmart and many good local restaurants just across the street (cross the subway station diagonally, then look behind the hotel you see wen coming up)

Prices are creeping up there. Now it is almost at the level of the IC Hong Kong - and the hotel is nowhere near in service, quality and overall appearance.

Would you return?
If they have a rate of around 1000 RMB: likely. At above 1500: no way
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
IC Shenzhen, China

How is the exec. lounge?
Relatively limited offerings for breakfast and high tea, lots of empty plates which were not refilled. Service extremely slow and barely understanding english. It was not perfect in the past but this was one of the worst club lounges in china.

- service is nowhere near as good as before. Looks like they have cut down in training and also number of people
After my last stay I wrote to the GM about the extremely poor service (well non existent actually)in the club lounge and he fobbed me off with a "it was busy that night" reply. I pointed out I was there for 10 days and it was exactly the same every night. His response was it will be addressed.

I'd suggest you also write to him about your experience in the lounge. It is the biggest disappointment for this hotel.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:08 pm

the recent reply I got from the GM of IC SHZ was that they are planning to refurbish all rooms and are going to train staff more thoroughly

do not hold your breath

our corporate rate there is really cheap or would never stay there
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM, 1K, IHG Spire Elite, Mar Gold
IC Amman, Jordan

So far this year have been in the hotel for 100 days

Booked cheapest, got suite. Club access automatic for RAs

How are the rooms?

Decent, even if I don't get the suite

How is the exec. lounge?

Good food, excellent service and decent bar

Fruit basket, wine and Arabic sweets if I wanted some

How was the minibar?

Average, but bonus points for being all free

-Good

Location is good, close to restaurants, shop and Rainbow Street. Staff is top notch, they greet me by name even when it has been a while since I stayed. The bellman comes running to greet me and grab my bags. Front desk staff always takes great care of me and the folks I stay with. This is one of the few hotels in the world where I would eat in the hotel. I am one to find local food and get out of the hotel. But if we are rushed or just want to stay in we always have a great meal and get treated very well.

-Bad

Hard to cross the street in front of the hotel.

Would you return?

Can't wait to go back. I hate to be away from home, but if I do have to go, the IC Amman is where I want to go.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Marseille

IC Marseille

Yes, excellent stay as always here.

Booked exec, given junior suite harbor terrace. Normally I get the grand harbor suite, but it was occupied this time. The hotel was quite busy overall with the bar and restaurants full and a large wedding going on. But it wasn't bothersome as this hotel can comfortably hold a lot of people and not seem crowded.

How are the rooms?
They really shouldn't call this a junior suite. It is a full suite with separate bedroom from salon and a huge double size terrace right over the door of the hotel with the harbor perfectly framed. Only one bathroom, but it is quite large and luxurious. The suite is 50sqm and the terrace is 20sqm.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge, but free drinks in the bar each night for everyone in the room. You can order anything, even Champagne cocktails.

A japanese folding fan, artisanal fruit juices and biscuits and a fruit bowl.

How was the minibar?
Half bottle of Perrier-Jouet Champagne, but no other wine. Beer and liquor including Pastis and the usual soft drinks, Perrier, etc.

Excellent RA treatment with free access to the superb Clarins Spa.
Always a great upgrade.
Great location.
Great service.
Nothing bad at all.

Value for € or Priority Club Points?
Yes great value for the best hotel in Marseille.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Oct 28, 2015 at 5:08 am Reason: adding name of property to post instead of title only

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.