Orlando Area Non-Disney?

Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Orlando Area Non-Disney?

Hello all,

I've found myself in the Orlando area for about a week, and I've got a lot of IHG points to burn. I'm a single guy in my 30s, so I have no interest in a Disney trip, and we're living in strange times anyway, I don't think I'm going to be doing any socializing right now. I'm just looking for a comfortable hotel to relax in and kill time. Does the forum have any suggestions for a good hotel in the area to make the best of it? Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 11:49 am

I’ve always liked the Holiday Inn Vacations Orange Lake resort. Definitely not a regular hotel as it’s more of a timeshare condo place. You actually need a car to drive around the whole property. They used to have golf cart shuttles at set times but dunno if they’re running during covid.

Hotel rooms are in the main lobby building and aren’t anything special compared to the 2 and 3 bedroom condos/villas, however the resort property is nice. Golf courses, multiple fitness rooms, multiple pools, restaurants, water sports rentals like jet skis or kayaks, etc. You really don’t have to leave the property in an entire week if you didn’t want to. But that’s pre-covid so I don’t know what’s open now. Also, Orlando in general books up fast during the holiday season if using points.

Last edited by db1234db1234; Dec 16, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into it. Does anyone have an opinion of Holiday Inn Orange Lake Resort vs. Orlando Breeze Resort? What about the Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista?

I have access to a car, if I were to drive somewhere outside of Orlando, would there be any notable IHG properties worth traveling to? Thanks for all of the help!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:42 pm

I haven’t stayed at the other 2 listed but wanted to add some more info. Orange Lake is a true resort (not all-inclusive though) whereas the others look like hotels with a few extras attached. It’d be like comparing Vegas hotels and comparing the Bellagio to the Staybridge Suites just off strip. Both have hotel rooms and you could even argue Staybridge has a better basic room than Bellagio (dated) but the B’s amenities more than make up for things. Covid might have closed some areas though...suggest contacting them directly. They do charge a daily amenity fee too.

It seems like Orange Lake’s points cost is 40000 any given night next year which is a bit high especially when the cash rates are just over the other 2 hotels cited. I went further into the booking process and see that 40000 isn’t for a basic hotel room in the main lobby tower. It’s for a 2-bedroom 1200 sq ft villa. I don’t see a rewards option for a basic room. Maybe contact them directly? Those villas are spread out around the property where you drive right up to your front door. Think small golf villas all around a golf course. They are a bit dated but you’d have a full condo with kitchen and laundry for the week. Not sure if that’s too much for 1 person but it sure would be relaxing versus a regular hotel room.

Why not split your stay amongst 2 of them and get the best of both worlds?

Last edited by db1234db1234; Dec 16, 2020 at 7:51 pm
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by db1234db1234
I havent stayed at the other 2 listed but wanted to add some more info. Orange Lake is a true resort (not all-inclusive though) whereas the others look like hotels with a few extras attached. Itd be like comparing Vegas hotels and comparing the Bellagio to the Staybridge Suites just off strip. Both have hotel rooms and you could even argue Staybridge has a better basic room than Bellagio (dated) but the Bs amenities more than make up for things. Covid might have closed some areas though...suggest contacting them directly. They do charge a daily amenity fee too.

It seems like Orange Lakes points cost is 40000 any given night next year which is a bit high especially when the cash rates are just over the other 2 hotels cited. I went further into the booking process and see that 40000 isnt for a basic hotel room in the main lobby tower. Its for a 2-bedroom 1200 sq ft villa. I dont see a rewards option for a basic room. Maybe contact them directly? Those villas are spread out around the property where you drive right up to your front door. Think small golf villas all around a golf course. They are a bit dated but youd have a full condo with kitchen and laundry for the week. Not sure if thats too much for 1 person but it sure would be relaxing versus a regular hotel room.

Why not split your stay amongst 2 of them and get the best of both worlds?
Hey do you know if food/drink is included?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984
Hey do you know if food/drink is included?
Unfortunately not. Its not an all-inclusive resort. There are full kitchens in the villas and condos and theres a grocery store (Publix) right by one of the entrances.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:46 pm

Unfortunately not. Its not an all-inclusive resort. There are full kitchens in the villas and condos and theres a grocery store (Publix) right by one of the entrances.
Thanks - I have the Candlewood suites in buena vista booked for August - is that any good?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 4:04 pm

Thanks - I have the Candlewood suites in buena vista booked for August - is that any good?
No first hand experience myself at the Candlewood in Buena Vista but if you’ve stayed at any other Candlewood location, I imagine this one sticks to the brand guidelines. Kitchenette with full sized refrigerator, laundry facilities on site, no breakfast, etc. It looks new so that’s always nice and the location is nice too.

I see points are 20000 per night, half of Orange Lake so it’s up to you whether a true resort versus regular hotel room is worth double the points (or cash). Nothing wrong with a standard hotel room of course but that’s what Candlewood Suites is. Orange Lake would give a full on vacation resort feeling with a bigger room. It’d be a no brainer if you were going to book 2 rooms for a family vacation. 2 rooms at 20000 points a night for a family of 4-6 or even 8, then I would definitely take the 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft Orange Lake villa at essentially the same amount of points per night and have all the resort amenities at your doorstep.

For some, all they need is a bed to sleep in so the extras are worthless. If you have to worry about entertaining kids or teenagers, they won’t be bored at Orange Lake.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:56 am

No first hand experience myself at the Candlewood in Buena Vista but if youve stayed at any other Candlewood location, I imagine this one sticks to the brand guidelines. Kitchenette with full sized refrigerator, laundry facilities on site, no breakfast, etc. It looks new so thats always nice and the location is nice too.

I see points are 20000 per night, half of Orange Lake so its up to you whether a true resort versus regular hotel room is worth double the points (or cash). Nothing wrong with a standard hotel room of course but thats what Candlewood Suites is. Orange Lake would give a full on vacation resort feeling with a bigger room. Itd be a no brainer if you were going to book 2 rooms for a family vacation. 2 rooms at 20000 points a night for a family of 4-6 or even 8, then I would definitely take the 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft Orange Lake villa at essentially the same amount of points per night and have all the resort amenities at your doorstep.

For some, all they need is a bed to sleep in so the extras are worthless. If you have to worry about entertaining kids or teenagers, they wont be bored at Orange Lake.
Thanks for the advice - we only have one child - aged 4 so we don't need tons of space anyway. I think ill stick with the candle suites - its half price and includes a shuttle to Disney..
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:47 pm

Thanks for the advice - we only have one child - aged 4 so we don't need tons of space anyway. I think ill stick with the candle suites - its half price and includes a shuttle to Disney..
Make sure to understand exactly how their shuttle operates. First, make sure it is operating. Many hotels have temporarily eliminated shuttles due to COVID.

Second, many off-site hotels provide very limited shuttle service. Typically, they only run a few times each morning and a few times each evening. And many will only go to one of the four theme parks. It's usually Epcot. If you're not going to Epcot, you'll need to transfer to a Disney bus or monorail to reach your final destination. That process can take 20 to 60 minutes each way.
kitbag1984 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Make sure to understand exactly how their shuttle operates. First, make sure it is operating. Many hotels have temporarily eliminated shuttles due to COVID.

Second, many off-site hotels provide very limited shuttle service. Typically, they only run a few times each morning and a few times each evening. And many will only go to one of the four theme parks. It's usually Epcot. If you're not going to Epcot, you'll need to transfer to a Disney bus or monorail to reach your final destination. That process can take 20 to 60 minutes each way.
Thanks - to be honest - will probably hire a car anyway - travelling around is uc easier that way and car hire is relatively inexpensive.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by KIcarus
Hello all,

I've found myself in the Orlando area for about a week, and I've got a lot of IHG points to burn. I'm a single guy in my 30s, so I have no interest in a Disney trip, and we're living in strange times anyway, I don't think I'm going to be doing any socializing right now. I'm just looking for a comfortable hotel to relax in and kill time. Does the forum have any suggestions for a good hotel in the area to make the best of it? Thanks!
The crown plaza in downtown is a nice hotel with good rates on points and used to be able to book a two room suite on points, not sure if that is the case anymore? While it says "downtown" it really is still a car location, but I would expect it not to be too busy currently - the hotel is popular for the basketball games & other concerts at the arena which obviously is not much currently ( apparently the magic are having fans to the arena for games but very limited ). The area to the east of the hotel along route 50 is a very interesting area, it ranges from authentic asian neighborhood & restaurants near the mills & 50 area to a bit of a trendy hipster area if you head south more around the thornton park neighborhood to a fancy upscale area if you head north around the winter park area. Lots of good restaurants etc. I would suggest to avoid hotels near the Disney area currently as from your post it sounds like you have a healthy respect for the current situation with SARS-Cov-2 and unfortunately not everyone seems to have that mindset in Florida, I currently live in the coastal area of Florida and am just amazed by some of the things I see! Needless to say the crowd currently staying in the tourist area is probably not one prefer to be in amongst...
writerguyfl likes this.

Last edited by somedudefromFLa; Dec 23, 2020 at 8:38 pm
Old Dec 24, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Hello all,

If the theme parks are not a concern and you're just looking for a clean bed in a safe area, consider the Candlewood Suites in Lake Mary. Standard Candlewood, but it has a small pool, it's in a wooded office park (although it backs up to I-4), and is about $70 a night or around 11,500 points per night. Feelings about Candlewood can be all over the map, and I agree that if you intend to stay at the hotel for a fair amount of time, the Candlewood is not for you. On the other hand, if you're going to be doing some other things and are just looking for a place to sleep, the Candlewood is as good as any. For trips of more than a few days, I really appreciate that Candlewoods make their laundry facilities available for free--that means I can pack a lot less.

I never go to the parks but drive through the area along I-4 occasionally, and traffic down that way can be frustrating at almost any time of the day, although I suspect it's currently much lighter because of the pandemic. Lake Mary puts you about 1/3 of the way from Orlando to Daytona Beach, and I like the north side of Orlando for a number of things. First, there's a decent lifestyle/shopping/town center at Altamonte Springs, about 10-15 minutes south of Lake Mary. Wraps around a lake and although the shopping area is dying, there are a number of restaurants in the area.

Second, Winter Park, another 5-10 minutes south, has a neat little downtown with a number of restaurants, shops, and the Morse Museum spread along Park Avenue. Despite its location adjacent to Orlando, Winter Park has a true small town feel with a train station running right along Park Avenue (Amtrak and SunRail make stops here), cobbled streets, and at this time of year, lots of holiday lights. Rollins College is at one end of Park, and the Winter Park Country Club (despite the name, a public 9-hole course) is at the other. Plus, along the fringes, you will see some spectacular homes--when Doc Rivers was the coach of the Magic, he lived in Winter Park, and his son Austin went to and played for the public Winter Park High basketball team before going to Duke.

By the way, if you're a golfer at all--I am, one of the main reasons I go to Orlando--there are a number of decent courses north of Orlando that tend to cost a lot less than the expensive courses surrounding the theme parks
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Holiday Inn Lake Buena Vista has a very nice, warm tropical pool area to hang out in. A little busy in that area....but has some walkable restaurants. Do recommend.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:47 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Hello all,

I used to stay at the Holiday Inns in Daytona, as I'm not really interested in the Orlando area and the rats (aka Mickey and Minnie) don't thrill me. Daytona has some great beaches. The HIResort seems a little older than the HI & Suites just north of there, but both always gave me a nice oceanview room with a good sized balcony and you can walk right out the back door to the beach. Reasonably priced on points right now too. If you're a golfer, the HI St Augustine World Golf was fine, or try the one at LPGA Drive if you might want to tee it up from the ladies' tee.St Augustine has some great beaches as well, but I bought my FL property just south in Palm Coast, as I liked the body surfing there better, at Flagler Beach. Great shopping at the outlets in St Aug-Polo shirts in all sizes and colors at outlet prices and Cross sandals or shoes (I try to avoid wearing shoes as I live in Bangkok now.) There's a great Thai restaurant in Palm Coast-Thai by Thai. Nice and spicy and great great curries, and the owner is from Thailand, as are the cooks, at least when we were there, as my GF is Thai.

Of course, if you just want a place to hang out in Orlando, I've liked the StayBridge Suites at the airport. Boring, but comfortable and Sonny's BBQ is nearby, well they are almost everywhere, but decent.. Of course, I've also stayed in Jacksonville, and actually liked the two Candlewood Suites there. Jacksonville is deader than disco, but it depends on what you like. I'm more the beach type. Jacksonville Beach has some good seafood places, and a beach, though last time I was there, the jellyfish were in season.

Last edited by rbAA; Jan 3, 2021 at 6:53 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.