Earn points without staying in the room?

Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by bja200
Thanks for the very detailed and informed reply. I'm amazed that hotels go to these lengths!
Most of these things take little time. It's mostly comparing data from one column with another column.

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
How does this work in hotels in which key cards and locks are offline? (I'd conjecture non-networked systems are still the most common ones.)
Not all hotels will do all of the things I mentioned. And individual properties certainly might do things differently.

The list was meant as an example of the types of checks that happen, not as a bible for how all hotel operate.

Originally Posted by funkydrummer
Also, how is it done in the EU after the introduction of the general data protection? Even if you have network integration regulation in 2018? It is most likely illegal to collect data on guests entering the room without the guest's explicit consent.
I can't answer that question. I have no knowledge about any of that and I'm not going to speculate. But, I'm certain hotels in the EU have procedures to ensure online check-ins have actually arrived without violating the law.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
So those two points are very YMMV based on individual hotel policies. Unlike others on FT, I don't think that my data points make up a hard and fast rule for everybody, but I have done it more than enough times to know that few, if any, hotels care where you slept... as long as you checked in physically and in person...
You can think about it as a flowchart. If a guest physically checks in at the Front Desk, none of the subsequent checks will be necessary.

But generally speaking, there are lots of poorly-run hotels out there. The types of checks I wrote about aren't going to happen at those types of businesses.

So, you are 100% correct. It's a YMMV situation.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Depending on what you mean by "business travel" isn't this illegal too? Even risking a job for some hotel nights and points seems unwise.

I know you commented on these situations I have posted the last couple of years. Like I said every time I have asked my boss and HR if it was ok. As long as I stay under my spend limit they are ok with it. The only packages I cannot choose are physical gifts (I've seen packages for a visa gift card or mall gift card) or attractions/events-Packages that would get me free golf, amusement parks, sporting events ect. Points, food, drink ect are ok as long as they fall under spend limit of the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.