Wiki Posts
Search

UK HIX Breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2020, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
UK HIX Breakfast?

Not sure if there's an existing post somewhere. Could only see a US one.

Are any UK based Holiday Inn Express hotels doing the normal buffet type breakfast?
Only stayed in a Holiday Inn which did a £8? doggy bag with a bacon bun, drink etc. delivered to my room at a specific time, and really wasn't worth it. Far easier walking around the corner to somewhere than spending £15, or whatever, in Crowne Plaza or Indigo branded hotels.

Premier Inns, which I've had a few stays in (as nearer work and about 40% cheaper with free in-and-out parking) are doing a table service rather than the eat-as-much-as-you-want buffet.
Sometimes stay in Hamptons, but don't think they're doing buffets either.

Do prefer wandering down and, depending on my mood, helping myself to whatever.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xenole
Not sure if there's an existing post somewhere. Could only see a US one.

Are any UK based Holiday Inn Express hotels doing the normal buffet type breakfast?
Only stayed in a Holiday Inn which did a £8? doggy bag with a bacon bun, drink etc. delivered to my room at a specific time, and really wasn't worth it. Far easier walking around the corner to somewhere than spending £15, or whatever, in Crowne Plaza or Indigo branded hotels.

Premier Inns, which I've had a few stays in (as nearer work and about 40% cheaper with free in-and-out parking) are doing a table service rather than the eat-as-much-as-you-want buffet.
Sometimes stay in Hamptons, but don't think they're doing buffets either.

Do prefer wandering down and, depending on my mood, helping myself to whatever.
You have to call each hotel you're considering and ask them what they're doing for breakfast.

I have no idea about UK hotels, but I don't see they would necessarily any better than US hotels, especially now that the UK is considering shutting down more.

In the US, the best I've seen is one HIX which gave out (and require use of) disposable gloves to use the hot buffet (which still had fewer items than normal), and then take it all back to your room. But that's a very small minority of HIXs in the US that have that or even any form of self-serve stuff (like everything individually pre-bagged). Many have just a single small brown bag of whatever junk pre-packaged per guest per day, with even less than what you got at that Holiday Inn in that bag.

And that's why you either have to read really recent reviews somewhere (I've had some luck with booking.com, sort reviews by Newest first, but not all hotels have recent reviews there which spell out what the breakfast situation is), and/or call the hotel (during business hours) and ask them what their breakfast situation is.

The policies of Covid breakfasts are determined by the individual hotels, not by the chain, so that's why you have to call individual hotels or maybe look at very recent reviews mentioning breakfast for individual hotels.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: BAEC, IHG, Melia, Avis
HIX Bridgwater was doing a buffet style breakfast for cold items and drinks, with take away baps for hot food that you could eat at table or take away. This was early August. The whole breakfast area was packed, not a good idea IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Just had a stay at the HIX Salford Quays (Manchester, UK), and breakfast was available.
Sausage buns in bags; bacon buns in bags; drinks; cereal in little plastic containers; bread products etc. One way system, pick what you want and go to your room with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.