Ripped Off at Holiday Inn Express Geneva, NY

Old Sep 1, 20, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Ripped Off at Holiday Inn Express Geneva, NY

I just stayed 4 nights at this property using points (not dollars and points just points). I was charged $123.60 to the credit card that I provided at check-in. There was no disclosure of this charge at check in nor during the reservation process at IHG.com/

I contacted the hotel thinking it was a mistake that could be easily rectified. The guy non-chalantly stated "they always charge $30 per night for those Invati rate codes" First of all, ... is an Invati rate code? he couldn't explain. Second, why did no one say anything about this upon check-in? I've never been charged a resort fee or anything at a Holiday Inn Express or any IHG property for that matter.

I submitted a complaint on the IHG website and am awaiting a response.

Has anyone experienced this?
Old Sep 1, 20, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Could the hotel be confusing a reservation using points with a reservation at a special rate for current IHG employees? Their rates are supposed to reflect the incremental cost to the hotel of an empty room being occupied (laundry for towels and sheets, housekeeping, toiletries, electricity, heat/AC, hot and cold water, etc.) and are rumored to be about $40 per night for full service hotels. Alternatively, $30 might be what IHG pays the hotel for award night redemptions.

Clearly the hotel just can't follow a policy of adding its own charge for award nights.
kyushuman and cln like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Could the hotel be confusing a reservation using points with a reservation at a special rate for current IHG employees? Their rates are supposed to reflect the incremental cost to the hotel of an empty room being occupied (laundry for towels and sheets, housekeeping, toiletries, electricity, heat/AC, hot and cold water, etc.) and are rumored to be about $40 per night for full service hotels. Alternatively, $30 might be what IHG pays the hotel for award night redemptions.

Clearly the hotel just can't follow a policy of adding its own charge for award nights.
Im not sure how that could have happened. I booked using the standard protocol on the IHG website for booking award stays and got a confirmation that made no mention of the charge.
Old Sep 1, 20, 6:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FastMJ View Post
I’m not sure how that could have happened. I booked using the standard protocol on the IHG website for booking award stays and got a confirmation that made no mention of the charge.
There is no limit to how confused some hotel front desk employees can be, despite being adamant that they're correct.
Old Sep 1, 20, 7:41 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by FastMJ View Post
Im not sure how that could have happened. I booked using the standard protocol on the IHG website for booking award stays and got a confirmation that made no mention of the charge.
You got charged the amount they bill IHG for the award nights, which can happen on occasion. IHG CS should be able to correct this, though I'd recommend you call.
seawolf and Redhead like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just dispute the charge. Not worth a second more of your time. Make certain that you provide your card issuer with a copy of the confirmation showing points and no cash and also that the property refused to refund when you asked.

Avoid loaded terms such as "ripped off" and stick to the simple facts, e.g., you booked a points only rate, were charged cash and then refused a refund.
Old Sep 1, 20, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Just dispute the charge. Not worth a second more of your time. Make certain that you provide your card issuer with a copy of the confirmation showing points and no cash and also that the property refused to refund when you asked.

Avoid loaded terms such as "ripped off" and stick to the simple facts, e.g., you booked a points only rate, were charged cash and then refused a refund.
QUIT ADVOCATING IMMEDIATELY GOING TO A CHARGE BACK.

Better course of action is to either call back and speak with the front office manager or wait for the resolution from IHG.
Old Sep 1, 20, 10:44 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Dispute the charge at risk of having your IHG Account closed and all points lost.

Proceed at disputing the charge as your first step, at your own risk.

Work with the hotel first... if that doesn't work then go the dispute route.
hotelboy, sdsearch and mathprof like this.
Old Sep 1, 20, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
QUIT ADVOCATING IMMEDIATELY GOING TO A CHARGE BACK.

Better course of action is to either call back and speak with the front office manager or wait for the resolution from IHG.
Why not? I'm not going to waste my time to help a hotel that is poorly managed.
Often1 and Tanic like this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 12:43 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by audio-nut View Post
Why not? I'm not going to waste my time to help a hotel that is poorly managed.
I understand your position however if you go this route as I said you may be cut off from the loyalty program and lose all your points. If the hotel management refuses to work with you, refuses to return your calls, absolutely do the dispute- log your attempts to call, etc. That way if the hotel tries to get you blacklisted from the loyalty program you can turn it back around on the hotel and note you made efforts to resolve it but the hotel did not resolve it.
Old Sep 2, 20, 2:53 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz 5 Star, United 1K
Hanlon's Razor.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Old Sep 2, 20, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I agree Id like to resolve it without disputing the charge if possible. I submitted a complaint via the form on IHG.com and will await a reply from the before proceeding to next step of calling back to the property one more time.
Old Sep 2, 20, 4:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I am siding with often1 here and advocating a chargeback. The hotel has already refused refunding the charge.
Often1 and bchandler02 like this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC, M&M
Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
I am siding with often1 here and advocating a chargeback. The hotel has already refused refunding the charge.
I'm not sure that OP talking to a guy classifies as the hotel refused to refund. Mistakes can happen and as another poster mentioned earlier, hotel staff can be confused about a lot of things, but from my experience, you get more from just trying to work on it with the hotel, maybe even some "we're sorry" points.

Chargebacks should be the safety net if anything else fails.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 2, 20, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
This is what I would do

1. Call the hotel again and ask to speak to management staff and calmly explain what has gone wroing. They will have more time to look at this than the front desk who may also be juggling people stood in front of them. Say something like 'I think there has been a mistake in the billing of my stay'

2. If that fails call IHG

Only after you have done 1 and 2 and not has resolution would I consider a charge back. Your credit card provider will have expected you to try and resolve it yourself first.

They are your last and not your first port of call.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: