Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Rewards Membership u18

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM - Life, IHG Spire elite, BA BLUE previously BA Gold
IHG Rewards Membership u18

My son who will be 18 in a couple of months, has a need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express in the UK on a weekly basis to attend college.

Looking at IHG's site he needs to be over 18 to both stay and join IHG Rewards.

Does anyone know what IHG's stance is on this generally? He is able to stay in competitor hotels, but the Holiday Inn Express is better located for him.

One option could be to accidentally put the wrong DOB on the membership?

Thoughts anyone?
Old Sep 1, 2020, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by willmoac
My son who will be 18 in a couple of months, has a need to stay at a Holiday Inn Express in the UK on a weekly basis to attend college.

Looking at IHG's site he needs to be over 18 to both stay and join IHG Rewards.

Does anyone know what IHG's stance is on this generally? He is able to stay in competitor hotels, but the Holiday Inn Express is better located for him.

One option could be to accidentally put the wrong DOB on the membership?

Thoughts anyone?
I don’t know the laws in the UK with hotels and minors. Normally, I’d book under my account and put them as an additional guest.
willmoac likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don’t know the laws in the UK with hotels and minors. Normally, I’d book under my account and put them as an additional guest.
Thanks

That's one of the options I considered but it's IHG seeming policy of no U18's that seems strange.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by willmoac
Thanks

That's one of the options I considered but it's IHG seeming policy of no U18's that seems strange.
Strange? Minors cannot legally agree and sign contracts, which in essence is what happens when signing up for a loyalty programme such as IHG Rewards Club or BA Executive Club.

I presume that similar happens at hotels, where the guest agrees to pay for damages, etc.
willmoac likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 9:41 am
Original Poster

I guess that I found it strange when other chain hotels happily take 16+ as old enough to book/use a room in the UK & IHG don't.

In terms of contracts he just literally this morning purchased motor insurance for the car that he purchased from a dealership (his money and he signed the contract for the car), he is also the registered legal keeper of said vehicle!

I do know last year when he started college renting a place for him was difficult at 16, but we managed it. It's just with Covid changing his attendance plans a hotel is now more cost effective.

I think it's either a case of booking the room in my name with him as a person in the room, or just ignoring the over 18 rule then.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I suspect the answer here is to fat finger the birth year. This is probably a result of US rules and IHG taking the strictest of the venues to avoid legal trouble. in 15 years of IHG membership birth year has never been utilized.
willmoac likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.