Wiki Posts
Search

Sir Francis Drake Hotel changing name??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Sir Francis Drake Hotel changing name??

Is the name of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel in San Francisco going to be changed?
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why would it be changed? Any hotel can change its name at virtually any time (but there can be restrictions if the brand is part of the name), but historical hotels tend to want to preserve their legacies.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I received a note from a "Trumper" friend (?) who was all bent out of shape regarding a possible name change. She heard about a change on the radio. I am not trying to be political but was just curious as to whether IHG was thinking about a change.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Saw something when I was reading one of the San Francicso papers the other day and a google search is always a good start

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...e-15446229.php

Emphasis on the 'considering' not a certain change.

Remember though that the hotel is not owned by IHG but is privately owned but managed by Kimpton so IHG would have little say in what the hotel is called other than it not causing confusion with another property in the locality.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Saw something when I was reading one of the San Francicso papers the other day and a google search is always a good start

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...e-15446229.php

Emphasis on the 'considering' not a certain change.

Remember though that the hotel is not owned by IHG but is privately owned but managed by Kimpton so IHG would have little say in what the hotel is called other than it not causing confusion with another property in the locality.
Interestingly, as travel savvy as I can be, I do sometimes get confused between the Sir Francis Drake (Kimpton) and St. Francis (Westin). Also, there is a Drake hotel in the Tenderloin area that is used for homeless housing.

With that said, I do find it curious that the name change consideration is from BLM movement and association of historic figures with slavery, and not because of brand confusion.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:42 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Changed the tread title to more accurately reflect what the thread is about.

--jpdx, IHG Co-Moderator
FlyinHawaiian and sdsearch like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.