Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post COVID stay experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Post COVID stay experience?

My partner tells me that they are not that clean from our pre COVID experience.

I called them and they said they do deep cleaning - at least that is what they have it in principle.
Any experience? I have a stay coming up in Lebec and SoCal.

Any tips to stay safe?

BTW, any site seeing opportunities? Is Malibu beach open?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
Is Malibu beach open?
Maybe, maybe not. It (and other SoCal beaches) have opened and closed as cases go down and back up, so it's hard to predict whether they'll be open or closed on a particular day in the near future.

Also, breakfast at most hotels in SoCal are pretty pitiful compared to some other places (like where I'm staying in the Redding/Red Bluff area this week). Hotels with restaurants, the restaurant is typically closed, hotels with complimentary breakfast, it's typically reduced to a cost-saving grab & go bag with nothing substantial.

Originally Posted by sciconf
any site seeing opportunities?
You haven't been specific enough. Where in SoCal? Los Angeles County, more and more is getting closed back up all the time due to rising cases. Out inland, Joshua Tree National Park is open, but even with reduced traffic that's a mighty long drive from somewhere near enough to consider Malibu.

That's exactly why I went up north. I live in Socal, and everything is being more restricted every day because pretty much every county down here is among the 23 counties that California is shutting parts of back down, but up well north of Sacramento, cases are low, there's no shutting back down, and the attractions are state and national parks where it's easy to social distance. And up here, there's an HIX in Red Bluff which is apparently serving hot breakfast, you're lucky to find a muffin in SoCal HIXs.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 12, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To follow up on my previous post:

I stayed at that HIX in Red Bluff CA, and what they do is to offer much of the conventional breakfast buffet (with most cold items individually wrapped but the hot items presented as normally), but requiring everyone to wear not just masks but also gloves, but they provide the (disposable) gloves. And then whatever you get from that buffet, you have to take it back to your room to eat it.

The explained this need for masks and gloves at breakfast during check-in.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:38 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I stayed at that HIX in Red Bluff CA, and what they do is to offer much of the conventional breakfast buffet (with most cold items individually wrapped but the hot items presented as normally), but requiring everyone to wear not just masks but also gloves, but they provide the (disposable) gloves. And then whatever you get from that buffet, you have to take it back to your room to eat it.

Bloody hell (as we say in England) if you want an extra sausage you’ve got to schlep downstairs and up again in hazmat gear?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch

HIX at Lebec, CA: Provided hot coffee and cold breakfast that you consume elsewhere - milk in sealed cartoon for cereal (zip lock bag). Some guests (in the kitchen) and and a night staff was not wearing mask
HIX in Sorrento Valley, San Diego: Provided cold breakfast that you consume elsewhere - no milk and no cereal. Coffee you make in your room. Mask seems enforced
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Every hotel Breakfast for me has been a bit different. My favorite (see below) was HIX Walla Walla since they took noticeable Covid precautions while still offering the regular breakfast.

Staybridge Suites Coeur d’Alene: they provide you a jimmy dean breakfast sandwich to heat in your room. Everything else at this property seemed completely open so it seemed like a cost saving measure.

Staybridge Suites Missoula: buffet provided of selected choices prepackaged/sealed by staff, including hot items such as eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy.

Holiday Inn Express Idaho Falls: no changes to regular buffet besides a request for a “one way” line.

Holiday Inn Express Walka Walla: all regular buffet items available but staff prepared a package for you of requested items to consume in room.

Holiday Inn Express Astoria: Scaled down choices, ordered from a staff member who packages food for you to eat in room. One hot item available each day (breakfast burrito, breakfast sandwich, etc)

Holiday Inn Express Lincoln City OR: prepackaged cold items only that you grab yourself. Sparse items to choose from (prepackaged muffin, pop tart, etc)
Old Jul 20, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just stayed at the Holiday Inn York over the weekend.

Breakfast was a limited selection that you had to pre-order on a form the day before. You had to select a time either for collection from the restaurant area, or for delivery to your room. If you chose to pick-up at the restaurant, then you could also use the tables there to eat your breakfast. We chose the room deliver option (no additional charge) and on both mornings it arrived at the exact time requested.

Breakfast choice was to choose an item per person from a few different categories. This was the selection of one a breakfast roll, porridge or eggs option, a muffin or pastry, a piece of fruit, a water, milk or juice carton and a hot drink option. We knew it would be a limited 'grab and go' type service from speaking to the hotel prior to the stay, but no complaints about the breakfast, or the way that the hotel were handling the COVID-19 arrangements generally.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:01 am

All 4 stays excellent. A quieter, less stressful experience given hotel occupancy in the stays was in the 25-40% range. Recap of breakfast situation:

1. HIX North Bay - All sealed cold options laid out to go.
2. HIX Huntsville - All sealed cold options laid out to go.
3. HI Ottawa Parliament - No F&B option, on-site restaurant closed for good.
4. HI Kanata - No F&B options, not enough occupancy to warrant opening as of July 2020.

Like the current offering of sealed granola bars, muffins etc. and elevated cleaning standards, everything you would come in contact with looks and feels clean.

Biggest drawback is the scale backs. Pool & fitness centre were closed at all locations, and the pair of on-site restaurants at the HI properties were closed, one permanently, another victim of the Wuhan virus. Shame, as Gibson's was a terrific place, one of the best breakfasts you will find at an IHG hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.