Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$41 to save 5k points?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

$41 to save 5k points?

I am making a reservation - there is this option to save 5k, if I add $41 cash to the mix?
Is this worth?

Thanks guys

BTW, shut down is barely lifted but some hotels show no reward redemption - another has raised prices by 5k from the Corona low!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
is it worth it?

depends on your opinion on the value of paying for the points is and only you can answer that.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think you mean that they are offering you the possibility to buy 5,000 points for $41, right? A points and cash booking? If so, I think it is a pretty good deal, because that makes it less than $10 per 1,000 points. But if you're points rich, I wouldn't bother. Let's face it, during this Corona thing (because, a Thing it was) you could have had 6 zillion points plated in platinum and nobody would have given a monkey's. What you need to ride out a crisis like Corona is cold, hard cash, not worthless points. So since this all started, I haven't spent a single cent on points purchases, no matter how lucrative the promotion.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Concerto
I think you mean that they are offering you the possibility to buy 5,000 points for $41, right? A points and cash booking? If so, I think it is a pretty good deal, because that makes it less than $10 per 1,000 points. But if you're points rich, I wouldn't bother. Let's face it, during this Corona thing (because, a Thing it was) you could have had 6 zillion points plated in platinum and nobody would have given a monkey's. What you need to ride out a crisis like Corona is cold, hard cash, not worthless points. So since this all started, I haven't spent a single cent on points purchases, no matter how lucrative the promotion.
It is a points and cash booking.
I am not point rich - probably have under 70k points

This hotel charges 15k (used to be 10k) and now they want 12.5k or (7.5k + $41)
You are saying if $41 is important keep it otherwise, its a better alternative. Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
I am making a reservation - there is this option to save 5k, if I add $41 cash to the mix?
Is this worth?

Thanks guys

BTW, shut down is barely lifted but some hotels show no reward redemption - another has raised prices by 5k from the Corona low!
No, it is not a good deal. IHG often runs promotions and sells points for 0.5cent each.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
No, it is not a good deal. IHG often runs promotions and sells points for 0.5cent each.
Thanks - that makes it worth $25 only
Sure will go with points alone.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by sciconf
Is this worth?
Probably not. IHG was selling points for $.005 through mid-June, and will like do so again within a year.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I still think $41 for 5,000 points is not such a bad deal, even if it's not the best. I think I would possibly bite, even in these Corona times. Each to his own, though.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:32 am

Is the bonus points accountable for qualifying points for status? Holiday inn express at my city offer 20$ for 5000 bonus points. If that bonus points eligible for qualifying points towards elite status, then I just need 8nights to obtain 40,000 points to maintain platinum status.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Timing strikes again! IHG is doing a 100% bonus (final price, $0.005/point) sale again through the end of July.

$20 for 5,000 points is even better. I presume that's an increase on a room rate, though. (Are there taxes as well?)
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Timing strikes again! IHG is doing a 100% bonus (final price, $0.005/point) sale again through the end of July.

$20 for 5,000 points is even better. I presume that's an increase on a room rate, though. (Are there taxes as well?)
No, the bonus points is optional, basically I book the basic member rate, there will be option to add on bonus points:1000-5000 at various cost. I just read through the fine print, the bonus point is eligible for qualifying point toward elite status.
I didn't see the 100% bonus points offer though, is it published on website?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:04 am

What's the best cash and point redemption you find it? I found some 10000 points for 60 USD but nothing better than that.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by FQ415
No, the bonus points is optional, basically I book the basic member rate, there will be option to add on bonus points:1000-5000 at various cost. I just read through the fine print, the bonus point is eligible for qualifying point toward elite status.

There are some room rates where for a small payment you can buy bonus points usually between 1k - 5k and these do count towards status qualification.

But there is currently a points sale (started in the last couple of days even though one only ended in the last month or so) )where IHG is offering a bonus by doubling the points so you get for example 200k ponts for the price of 100k. Points bought in this way do not count towards status qualification targets
FQ415 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by sethb

Yes there is another points promotion, but the $0.005 rate only kicks in when you buy a minimum of 26,000 points. If the OP only wants to buy 5,000 points then it will cost him $67.50, so it would still be better to do the points + cash deal.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FQ415
Going to purchase points (requires sign-in to account) sent me to https://storefront.points.com/IHG-re...club/en-US/buy which had the bonus information.
FQ415 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.