Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

InterContinental Hong Kong Master Thread (renovation thread until Aug 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2020, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
Intercontinental Hong Kong - 香港洲際酒店
18 Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel. (Hong Kong): +852-2721-1211
Website (link)

AS OF APRIL 20TH, 2020, INTERCONTINENTAL HONG KONG HAS CEASED OPERATIONS IN ORDER TO COMMENCE A TWO-YEAR RENOVATION PROGRAM. IT WILL RELAUNCH AT A TO-BE-DETERMINED DATE IN 2022 AS REGENT HONG KONG.

Former master thread about this property could be found here.

This thread is for discussion during the time of the renovation, sharing memories of staying there, process of renovation and any news. Once the renovation will be about to be finished, we will start a new master thread of the Regent Hong Kong.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Curious if anyone has any pictures of the now closed IC Hong Kong?

Don't know why but somewhere I've spent happy days at fascinates me closed and being worked on.

Would be interested see what it looks like right now and during rebuild.

PS heard mixed report from a ground up rebuild to a massive update. Anyone know details? Have seen an architect visualisation but it was not fully clear from that.
Old May 19, 2020, 4:38 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Curious if anyone has any pictures of the now closed IC Hong Kong?

Don't know why but somewhere I've spent happy days at fascinates me closed and being worked on.

Would be interested see what it looks like right now and during rebuild.

PS heard mixed report from a ground up rebuild to a massive update. Anyone know details? Have seen an architect visualisation but it was not fully clear from that.
It's not a ground-up rebuild, but will be an extensive reconstruction of the existing structure. I don't know how much gutting will take place, but the existing building will be re-clad with blue glass all the way out to the building's edges, and possibly grey masonry with embedded light blades. There are currently two panels of blue glass on the Harbour-facing side of the building to give an idea of what it'll look like, and photos I saw from a week or so ago showed the podium levels shrouded in mesh.

You can check out this architecture forum thread dedicated to the hotel's redevelopment here for more info. I've also attached a rendering of the finished product and exterior shots below for convenience.

khabah

Old May 19, 2020, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by khabah
It's not a ground-up rebuild, but will be an extensive reconstruction of the existing structure. I don't know how much gutting will take place, but the existing building will be re-clad with blue glass all the way out to the building's edges, and possibly grey masonry with embedded light blades. There are currently two panels of blue glass on the Harbour-facing side of the building to give an idea of what it'll look like, and photos I saw from a week or so ago showed the podium levels shrouded in mesh.

You can check out this architecture forum thread dedicated to the hotel's redevelopment here for more info. I've also attached a rendering of the finished product and exterior shots below for convenience.

khabah

Very interesting stuff, thanks Kahbah.

Have seen the rendering but not the additional photos. And the link is extremely interesting.

Can't help but feel a full ground up is a missed opportunity but I'm sure they know their business, costs and planning limitations way better than me. Internally they absolutely have to do something about the foot print of the bathrooms and showers, even on the larger rooms and suites.

The link mentions a potential 40% increase in prices .... scary. And a shame so many folks loosing their jobs. Would have thought some form of secondment could have been in order. Then again things have changed in the hotel world ... and indeed the world in general recent weeks.

Very interesting, I hope more photos and data come in of external and indeed internal works.
Old May 19, 2020, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Another photo off the link you posted and zoomed up .... so strange ....

Chinatrvl likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 3:57 pm

I love this hotel. Can't wait to see the final result. Any idea on timeline for re-launch of finished product??
Old May 19, 2020, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dent2408
I love this hotel. Can't wait to see the final result. Any idea on timeline for re-launch of finished product??
Well the link that Kahbah kindly sent says 2021 but I cannot help but think that is optimistic. We are half way through 2020 now. Especially now under new conditions everyone experiencing this year.

Mind it's not a ground up as he also mentions so who knows, it could be for China NY 2022. But I have to say I never yet saw a hotel build or especially a heavy restoration hit target. Even in the heavy build years in Dubai.

My personal feeling for what it's worth would estimate end of 2022. But hey one of the windows is already in! ..... and if basic layout internally does remain roughly the same then it could be the 2021 they mention. Guess it will depend on the scope overall which will become evident as time moves and updates and photos some in.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:18 pm

The one positive thing I can think of is the opportunity for projects without needing to close down on high traffic times! Very interested to see what will happen!!
lloydah likes this.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:47 pm

Atacama40 dent2408 Happy to have provided help with those renders and the link!

When IHG announced the closure of IC Hong Kong in April, they said that it would close on April 20th for a two-year renovation and repeatedly said it would reopen in 2022; I saw photos of signs on placards in the lobby on Instagram referring to the 2022 date as well. When IHG first acquired Regent in 2018, initial press releases quoted the return of the brand to its original HK property in 2021, so it seems many press sources are still clinging to that bit of old news.

Reopening is definitely in 2022 - at the very least. As to when, we have no idea unless we get some confirmation from IHG or the property, but I would hope that the project is now seeing furniture removal and getting crews assembled for the heavy lifting.

khabah
Old May 20, 2020, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Atacama40 dent2408 Happy to have provided help with those renders and the link!

When IHG announced the closure of IC Hong Kong in April, they said that it would close on April 20th for a two-year renovation and repeatedly said it would reopen in 2022; I saw photos of signs on placards in the lobby on Instagram referring to the 2022 date as well. When IHG first acquired Regent in 2018, initial press releases quoted the return of the brand to its original HK property in 2021, so it seems many press sources are still clinging to that bit of old news.

Reopening is definitely in 2022 - at the very least. As to when, we have no idea unless we get some confirmation from IHG or the property, but I would hope that the project is now seeing furniture removal and getting crews assembled for the heavy lifting.

khabah
I'd 100% agree that Kahbah. One of my responsibilities is F&P across EMEA and the numbers sound optimistic to me. Is a lot of heavy 80's concrete in that lump.

Hope we get some insider photos as well. The link you provided is very good at that sort of thing in the past. A property I had involvement with on the Marina in DXB had tons of photos and insider stuff posted. Fingers crossed for that .... we got two years worth of sneak reveals to look forward to :-)

I wander how the design reflects new expectations in light of the Covid thing? New developments and to some extent, major renovations like this one have the chance to 'design in' better risk management. Like most of you here I imagine I got an email from Keith Barr about new cleanliness procedures and efforts at IHG. Just the message needed right now in fact.

Last edited by Atacama40; May 20, 2020 at 4:41 am Reason: wrong decade :-)
Old May 20, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so sad to see... it is one our favorite IHG hotels in the world... oh well... wait a few years.. ...
Old May 21, 2020, 9:09 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Speaking as moderator here ....
We have re-named this thread to cover the time of the renovation and the time before this hotel will open as Regent (which is somehow a back to the roots ...). The thread of the IC Hong Kong is now closed, as the hotel is history.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 1:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Just curious if there has been any updates on progress or construction? Nothing I’ve found is recent within the last 6 months.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
Just curious if there has been any updates on progress or construction? Nothing I’ve found is recent within the last 6 months.
Also would be interested in status report and photo upgrades
Old Mar 15, 2021, 2:09 am

I was scrolling through some photos posted by Google users on the Google Maps pins for InterContinental Hong Kong and Avenue of Stars, and photos of the building from February and March show new netting installed along the height of the building on the sides of the building above the MoMA sign and on the other end neighboring the Space Museum. Curiously, the InterContinental logo is still up on the waterside; you'd think that's the first thing they'd take down.

IHG reported in their FY2020 results report that the renovation is progressing and the 2022 opening is still planned... but I wonder how realistic that is given the slow visual pace of the project and absolute dearth of information related to it. There are still no renderings, no statements from the architects, no mentions on the Regent website and no promotion of the project anywhere and whatsoever. I understand that COVID is still going on, but were I IHG I personally wouldn't miss an opportunity to use the Hong Kong property as a historical and appropriate springboard to promote the return of the Regent brand, and to drum more attention to it.

khabah
Old Mar 15, 2021, 7:08 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
I was scrolling through some photos posted by Google users on the Google Maps pins for InterContinental Hong Kong and Avenue of Stars, and photos of the building from February and March show new netting installed along the height of the building on the sides of the building above the MoMA sign and on the other end neighboring the Space Museum. Curiously, the InterContinental logo is still up on the waterside; you'd think that's the first thing they'd take down.

IHG reported in their FY2020 results report that the renovation is progressing and the 2022 opening is still planned... but I wonder how realistic that is given the slow visual pace of the project and absolute dearth of information related to it. There are still no renderings, no statements from the architects, no mentions on the Regent website and no promotion of the project anywhere and whatsoever. I understand that COVID is still going on, but were I IHG I personally wouldn't miss an opportunity to use the Hong Kong property as a historical and appropriate springboard to promote the return of the Regent brand, and to drum more attention to it.

khabah
My understanding is that the interior will be completely renovated, so all rooms. That will likely make up for most of the work at the building and be hardly visible from the outside. Façade installations are rather quick.

I would certainly keep the sign in Hong Kong until the new one arrives

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.