Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closed Account

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:54 am

The value of your accrued rewards exceeded your value as a future customer.

Use ‘em, or lose ‘em.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:55 am

I agree with LondonElite that we probably, most likely even, don't know the full picture, and I would love it if LondonElite could share some of the other true FlyerTalk constants.

However, there should be a way for any customer to at least be able to obtain the reasoning that led to a particular decision to his disadvantage, as there is always a possibility that the reasoning was made in error. Like a FOIA, but for corps. Privacy data requests have been mentioned above, but IME these only result in a handful of the information that a corp has about you, and how are you ever going to prove they know more?

If corps keep hiding behind their "fraud departments," governments around the world will start doing this for them, and it would be much worse (for the corps) vs. if they would it themselves.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan; PriorityClub
How much money was spent on the purchases?

I used to buy points to use only for Point Breaks. After I bought the points, they changed the conditions and introduced a 1-year term after which points that I had paid for with cash would expire.

I would concentrate on the cash portion. This walks like fraud, talks like fraud...
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I well remember that period about 5 years ago. I think there were 3 or 4 threads like this running at the same time where OP was joined by other FTers saying the same thing. I think they all admitted (to FT, not IHG) that they’d signed up for multiple promos they weren’t approached for, some were even typing random 4-digit promo numbers into the IHG Promo page to see what happened. Indeed, there was even a lengthy FT sticky of 4-digit IHG Promo Codes. I think like almost every regular IHG FTer at the time I’d entered every code, most were a bust but a very sizeable minority worked. I was very nervous of those closure threads as my winnings from those practices were in the hundreds of thousands of points, it could easily have been me...

Today those opportunities have been sealed off but nowadays the most likely activity to lead to this would be booking redemption rooms for resale which is frequently part of a common-ish scam. Here a scammer runs a load of legitimate looking social media accounts offering last minute rooms atunbelievabledeals. The punter requests say the Beijing IC and pays say $50 for the night receiving a confirmation for the night. The con is that the scammer has purchased dozens of verified hacked IHG accounts and uses your points to book the stay along with any others he can sell that day. Of course if you’re online regularly to your account you’ll see that your points total is virtually zero’d and report it, IHG will treat you as the victim and you’ll be somewhat inconvenienced but it will be rectified. If you don’t regularly go online all the punters will have their stays but the chances are one of them will come to the hotels attention and your account will be identified as selling stays using points which will lead to instant closure and forfeiture of the (probably by that time very few) points left unredeemed. Now you’re struggling against account closure where IHG can demonstrate that the points in the account has been used to book lots of stays which were then sold for cash and since you’re the “owner” of the account... say no more!

Phone and email. Stay calm but be insistent. If that doesn’t work request your data rights file which they have to provide you and should give you the info you need to move forward. Those points are worth about $9,000 so in the final analysis point that out and state you’ll sue in the small claims court. It could be a lengthy struggle I’m afraid...
Be very certain before commencing any legal proceedings given the conditions you agree to and the agreed value of the points as per the agreement not a financial calculation based on today’s rates. I would ask them directly if your account was hacked. Hotels have suffered from security breaches and since the CoVid 19 lock downs the crooks have been busy with scams, hacks and other unpleasantness. Otherwise as others have said, choose a more reliable lodgings partner. Though things are not as good as they used to be, I recommend Marriott as the most reputable in my experience. There were a few issues with Marriott Starwood system integrations but everyone is very courteous and they do what they promise. Hyatt are not bad but I ring Marriott Rewards easier to deal with.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mozilla
I agree with LondonElite that we probably, most likely even, don't know the full picture, and I would love it if LondonElite could share some of the other true FlyerTalk constants.

However, there should be a way for any customer to at least be able to obtain the reasoning that led to a particular decision to his disadvantage, as there is always a possibility that the reasoning was made in error. Like a FOIA, but for corps. Privacy data requests have been mentioned above, but IME these only result in a handful of the information that a corp has about you, and how are you ever going to prove they know more?

If corps keep hiding behind their "fraud departments," governments around the world will start doing this for them, and it would be much worse (for the corps) vs. if they would it themselves.
Just go to the AA or UA forums where you'll find the Account closed/Fraud/Locked threads. They are endlessly long but you read the same story over and over again. "I didn't do ANYTHING wrong," followed by loads of FT old-timers saying "yeah, sure." Eventually about fifteen or more posts in you get a revelation "well, I might have donated some miles to a friend, who gave me a bottle of Screaming Eagle in exchange. But no one knew about it."

I'm not saying everyone does this, but it is very common in these threads.
wrp96, mozilla and Crofton138 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
I wonder how the ANA status upgrades worked out for people?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You were banned from an online pizza joint (did you claim too many late or wrong deliveries?) and that is comparable to an IHG account with ca 2 million miles in it?
never even had a delivery from them. I did an online pizza pickup order and then placed another order for the free Parmesan cheese shakers. It was a zero price order they didn’t like that I think flagged me. They didn’t mind me paying for the other pizza but they must monitor for zero priced orders. I did that a few times and ended up loosing all my papa reward points. Enough for 7 pizzas give or take.

my point is all these reward programs have language that reflects they can ban or stop your account for any reason with zero reason required.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
...reserved point breaks and used 3/4 of them and cancelled the others weeks in advance...
This stuck out to me. Also, I notice that OP did not mention this in communications with LL.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by danteshors
I know how you feel, I was banned from Papa Johns online ordering once.

A letter written to the CEO team describing disparate racial treatment to me went unanswered.
You played the race card and failed? That certainly does not happen very often; however, it IS encouraging to hear.

Last edited by arcticflier; Apr 28, 2020 at 1:31 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Originally Posted by Bonehead
This stuck out to me. Also, I notice that OP did not mention this in communications with LL.
why would I ? Point breaks are normal reservations (just for less points). I used most of them but others I had to cancel (again that is normal for hotel bookings as plans change that is why they are refundable). So I had let's say 10 nights reserved in the last 1-1.5 years and had to cancel 4 or so. Why would I mention this? How is that unusual?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
why would I ? Point breaks are normal reservations (just for less points). I used most of them but others I had to cancel (again that is normal for hotel bookings as plans change that is why they are refundable). So I had let's say 10 nights reserved in the last 1-1.5 years and had to cancel 4 or so. Why would I mention this? How is that unusual?
arcticflier likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by blitzen
I was just checking...some folks abuse the Pointbreaks system, making far more speculative reservations than you apparently have. I would therefore be surprised if 4 unused reservations would have triggered this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Did you go hard on IHG for the new Chase Credit card not giving 20% discount on mile purchases already discounted?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Koweit, Continental, Delta, (AA UA, USAir, BA)
Once the corp office starts to give you the runaround more than 2-3 times, with vague unexplained breaches of catch-all provisions in generally worded Ts&Cs, you are unlikely to achieve satisfaction until YOU get into the driver's seat,

By being a plaintiff and forcing them to give substantial answers to a court.

What is the Small Claims limit in your area and CAN you in practice serve papers on IHG? Some jurisdictions serve proceedings themselves but will only allow you to sue a defendant (with some form of presence) within it's jurisdiction. If so, don't be afraid of using your local civil court, where they dont have those restrictions and claiming for ALL potential losses at the most liberal rate you can find. If IHG force you to do this, defending the case will cost them a fortune!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I would therefore be surprised if 4 unused reservations would have triggered this.
i agree....if this were the case then i would have been banned years ago....i always made single of 2 night reservations using point breaks, even if i was staying longer since the lower rates would disappear pretty quickly....then i would look at flights & other logistics before cancelling the extra nights....i would typically do this the same day or a day later so as to not hold up the room for the nights i didn't need....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.