Search

Regent Shanghai Pudong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:01 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Regent Shanghai Pudong [Master Thread]

IHG just announced the takeover of Four Seasons Hotel Shanghai at Pudong, which will reopen from May 16th, 2020 as Regent Shanghai Pudong. This will be the first Regent to officially open under IHG's ownership, and will also see Regent taking over and branding the residences above the hotel.

I'm happy to see Regent expanding again - and to take over a Four Seasons, no less [especially given the relationship between the two brands] - but hope that IHG will push it beyond Asia. Their current pipeline of Phu Quoc [Vietnam; 2020], Bali and Jakarta [Indonesia; 2021 and 2022], Hong Kong [2022], Chengdu [China; 2023] and Kuala Lumpur [Malaysia; 2023] is purely Asia-based, so I'd love to see them bring the brand into the Middle East and the Americas.

Good news nonetheless. Press blast from IHG below.

khabah

IHG to open first Regent hotel since brand acquisition

IHG® (InterContinental Hotels Group), one of the world's leading hotel companies, today announces the signing of a management agreement with Shanghai 21st Century Hotel Co., Ltd. for its iconic property located in Lujiazui, Shanghai, China. From 16 May 2020, the hotel will be officially branded as Regent Shanghai Pudong and ready to welcome guests with a truly unique and luxury experience, which the legendary brand is famous for. All existing reservations will be automatically forwarded and honoured by Regent Shanghai Pudong. Guests will be able to experience the understated luxury and intuitive service brought by Regent seamlessly. Under the deal, IHG will also take over the management of its luxury apartments, which sit above the hotel in the same tower.

Expanding its luxury footprint, IHG announced the acquisition of a majority stake in Regent Hotels & Resorts in March 2018 and brought the much-loved brand into the top end of its portfolio. Since then IHG has worked quickly to combine its expertise in luxury with Regent’s deep heritage and revered legacy, relaunching the brand by evolving it to appeal to the modern luxury traveller. Set amidst the magnificent skyline of the Lujiazui financial district, Regent Shanghai Pudong will be the first Regent hotel opened globally after the acquisition. Meanwhile, renovation is already underway to rebrand the iconic InterContinental Hong Kong into a Regent hotel in 2021, bringing the hotel back to its roots as it first opened its doors as a Regent in 1980. In addition, the brand is also expecting new openings in Phu Quoc, Vietnam later this year, Bali, Indonesia in 2021, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as well as Chengdu, China in 2023.

Justin Channe, Managing Director, Regent Hotels & Resorts, IHG remarked: “Welcoming Regent Shanghai Pudong to the Regent family represents a significant milestone for the brand not only in Greater China but also in the world. Since acquisition we have been committed to making the brand a real leader within luxury hospitality and taking it to the world’s best destinations. We are excited to team up with Shanghai 21st Century Hotel Co., Ltd., our long-term strategic partner, to bring Regent to Shanghai in such a prime location. We look forward to working closely with the owner to proudly bring Regent hallmarks to life in the hotel.”

For further information please contact:

Karena Liu
[email protected]
+86 (21) 2893 3265
Source: https://www.ihgplc.com/en/news-and-m...nd-acquisition
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
That's an outstanding property. Great addition.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 7:54 am

Great location also. About 1 km from the IC Pudong (closer to the Bund)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
I think the Regent hotel in Berlin, Germany also used to be a 4 seasons property before Regent took it over.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
I think the Regent hotel in Berlin, Germany also used to be a 4 seasons property before Regent took it over.
It was. There's some funny history between Four Seasons and Regent since Four Seasons owned Regent between 1992 and 1998, and the hotels that were under development in the 90s and due to open as The Regent New York, The Regent Milan, The Regent Istanbul and The Regent Bali respectively became Four Seasons Hotel New York, Four Seasons Hotel Milan, Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet and Four Seasons Hotel Bali at Jimbaran Bay under FS's ownership. Carlson's hospitality division [now Radisson Hotel Group] acquired the rights to the Regent brand in 1998, but FS maintained their existing management of existing Regent properties. There's a bit more history thereafter but Regent was eventually sold to Formosa International Hotels [which owns the Regent Taipei], who owned the brand until IHG acquired it in 2018.

I remember reading that IHG will be very selective about developing Regent going forward, and aim to grow the brand to 40 hotels in the medium term. The possibility of converting high-end InterContinental properties to Regent hotels has been discussed, but they've only identified "three or four" properties that could make the cut - and that there are no plans to convert them at this point in time. I wonder if we'll see existing luxury hotels under Four Seasons, Belmond, Accor or Marriott make the switch over to Regent in the near future; I really hope that IHG nurtures Regent and is able to give it the gravitas and attention it deserves to flourish.

khabah
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 3:55 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I understand the difference between the Kimpton / IC / Régent / Six Senses Portfolio but I am intrigued on the Intrigantin aspects between them all. How and when it’ll be done.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: Some
This gives me hope that IHG gets what the Regent brand needs to be to have a proper competitor to RC/St. Regis/WA, etc. Excellent. All about what happens with Regent status recognition now as far as I'm concerned.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

The website is finally up on the IHG/Regent websites in preparation for the opening/switchover tomorrow: https://www.ihg.com/regent/hotels/gb...sd/hoteldetail

Rates available from 1615 CNY on opening night. Not bad at all.

khabah
Old Jul 24, 2023, 8:23 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hi

Just checking if anyone has any reviews on this hotel in particular as a IHG Diamond member? How is the room upgrade like and if they can accommodate late check out? I have confirmable suite vouchers, but not too sure if the suite rooms will be available nearer to the period of stay in Nov 2023. Thanks for any insights.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 5:14 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Just a heads up, that this hotels should not be confused with the soo to be opened Regent Shanghai on the Bund
Old Mar 26, 2024, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
Hi

Just checking if anyone has any reviews on this hotel in particular as a IHG Diamond member? How is the room upgrade like and if they can accommodate late check out? I have confirmable suite vouchers, but not too sure if the suite rooms will be available nearer to the period of stay in Nov 2023. Thanks for any insights.
Planning for a trip to Shanghai. I was thinking the same thing. How are the upgrades and how is the lounge? I was thinking about booking for 1 King Regent Club Pearl View room in hope for one category upgrade to 1 King Regent Club Suite City View or 1 King Regent Club Suite Pearl View. I have not been to mainland China before. How are the upgrades in general?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:03 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by joorinainen
Planning for a trip to Shanghai. I was thinking the same thing. How are the upgrades and how is the lounge? I was thinking about booking for 1 King Regent Club Pearl View room in hope for one category upgrade to 1 King Regent Club Suite City View or 1 King Regent Club Suite Pearl View. I have not been to mainland China before. How are the upgrades in general?
Stayed here 2 months ago. Booked base room and got upgraded to King Regent Club Suite City View. I think if you prefer Suite Pearl View Room is typically not available for upgrade. But you may reach out to hotel via email to confirm this. Lounge is located at level 35 (based on memory) open in afternoon onwards and provide good view of the Pearl Tower and the bund view. For evening cocktail, they offer fair quality of buffet-style Western and Asian finger food. Breakfast is available at the restaurant at the lobby. The hotel offers one free round of mini bar items. Late checkout is offered till 2pm for Diamond Members.
stevie and joorinainen like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:29 am

Stayed here 2 months ago. Booked base room and got upgraded to King Regent Club Suite City View. I think if you prefer Suite Pearl View Room is typically not available for upgrade. But you may reach out to hotel via email to confirm this. Lounge is located at level 35 (based on memory) open in afternoon onwards and provide good view of the Pearl Tower and the bund view. For evening cocktail, they offer fair quality of buffet-style Western and Asian finger food. Breakfast is available at the restaurant at the lobby. The hotel offers one free round of mini bar items. Late checkout is offered till 2pm for Diamond Members.
Many thanks! How would you rate the hotel overall? I would assume the club also offers "free" coffee, tea and soft drinks? I thought that your upgrade was quite generous but then i saw that you are Royal Ambassador. I think i have to bite the bullet and book a room higher up to get the entry level suite upgrade. I have Diamond ambassador. Could definitely use the extra space. I am still deciding between Mandarin Oriental and Regent Pudong.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by joorinainen
Many thanks! How would you rate the hotel overall? I would assume the club also offers "free" coffee, tea and soft drinks? I thought that your upgrade was quite generous but then i saw that you are Royal Ambassador. I think i have to bite the bullet and book a room higher up to get the entry level suite upgrade. I have Diamond ambassador. Could definitely use the extra space. I am still deciding between Mandarin Oriental and Regent Pudong.
I think hotel hardware overall is good. Hotel room looks bright and nice and room is large. The free one-round mini-bar is a good gesture though I hardly eat/drink from it. I think they no longer accord benefits due to Royal Ambassador and just accord based on either Platinum or Diamond level. This was what they shared with me over email:

As our Diamond Elite, we are happy to provide you with early check-in subject to room availability.​, and late check-out until 2 pm subject to room availability​. Additionally, we will provide you with a free upgrade subject to room availability (excluding pearl view suites).

The club lounge offers free hot drinks, juices and soft drinks during the opening hour. As they are open from 2pm onwards, you will no longer be eligible to use the lounge on the day of check-out, as per being told during check-in.

Actually I used the Confirmable Suite Upgrade Award to upgrade to King City View suite. Strangely at check-in, they cancel my booking and rebook the basic room without the use of the upgrade award and I got the award back into my account. They still upgrade my room to King Suite City View.

joorinainen likes this.

Last edited by hclee01; Mar 26, 2024 at 8:24 am
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:15 am

I think hotel hardware overall is good. Hotel room looks bright and nice and room is large. The free one-round mini-bar is a good gesture though I hardly eat/drink from it. I think they no longer accord benefits due to Royal Ambassador and just accord based on either Platinum or Diamond level. This was what they shared with me over email:

As our Diamond Elite, we are happy to provide you with early check-in subject to room availability.​, and late check-out until 2 pm subject to room availability​. Additionally, we will provide you with a free upgrade subject to room availability (excluding pearl view suites).

The club lounge offers free hot drinks, juices and soft drinks during the opening hour. As they are open from 2pm onwards, you will no longer be eligible to use the lounge on the day of check-out, as per being told during check-in.

Actually I used the Confirmable Suite Upgrade Award to upgrade to King City View suite. Strangely at check-in, they cancel my booking and rebook the basic room without the use of the upgrade award and I got the award back into my account. They still upgrade my room to King Suite City View.
That's a really nice gesture! Thank you for the pictures and information! How would you rate the breakfast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.