Coronavirus: Extension of Ambassador Free Night Certficate

Old Apr 4, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
From the reply I received, the 3-month extension of Ambassador membership will automatically extend the life of the certificate.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So if one looks at the latest guidance from IHG with regards to COVID-19 crisis and what measures have been taken by IHG (see here: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory) you will not find any mention of an official 3-months extension of Ambassador status any longer and certainly no mention of Free Weekend Night Certificates. Under section for "IHG Rewards Club status" it only talks about the lowered criteria for IHG Rewards Status (wow IHG, amazing generosity, but that's an aside ).

Only credit card night certificates are mentioned to be extended. The only place that talks about Ambassador status & Free Weekend Night Certificate extensions by 6 months is on the Chinese website which covers it here under "Caring Policy 3": https://www.ihg.com.cn/content/cn/zh...tend-_-HPH-_-A (I used Google translate) and that seems for a very specific group of members with Chinese residence / address in their profiles.

I guess IHG has been asleep while the crisis turned into a full scale worldwide pandemic with China (if we believe the numbers, but that's OT again) being one of the much lesser impacted / recovering regions these days. The inquiry I raised 3 weeks ago about Ambassador status and FWNC extensions hasn't even been deemed worthy of a response. I guess IHG really doesn't want any $$$ from us in the future.
VaBeachGirl likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by demue
I guess IHG has been asleep while the crisis turned into a full scale worldwide pandemic with China (if we believe the numbers, but that's OT again) being one of the much lesser impacted / recovering regions these days. The inquiry I raised 3 weeks ago about Ambassador status and FWNC extensions hasn't even been deemed worthy of a response. I guess IHG really doesn't want any $$$ from us in the future.
It's always been something of a puzzle that a large corporation, with global reach and scale, should operate such a shambolic approach to communicating with its customers - and especially to those in the group's loyalty programme.

This fractured, dithering response to COVID19 is disappointing, but it isn't a surprise.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Had dropped a note to Ambassador Services yesterday after waiting 3 weeks for reply from IHG Rewards team and got a response within 24hrs that the 3 months extension is coming. Exact wording of the applicable passage from the email as follows:

It looks like everything is set for your three-month extension. No need to worry, I'd like to assure you we are currently working on extending the Ambassador status by batches. This will be reflected in your account in the coming weeks.
Well, we shall see if it comes in time by end of April . Absolute earliest we could use the FWNC would be in August if things normalize in the next 3 months permitting safe travel again, else that is out the window as well. I agree with other posters that 6 month would be a minimum extension that is sensible and of course no one from Ambassador services felt inclined to comment on the silly Greater China gets 6-months extension vs. rest of World get 3-months. Anyways, I guess one can always look to request the one off 2-months or 6-months Ambassador status extension (as per AMB T&Cs) after the overall 3-months period comes to an end. YMMV.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
With all of the chaos over the last few weeks/months I completely forgot about my Ambassador membership and certificate. According to my account they both expire on May 1. A 3 month extension is silly. I hope they come up with a different plan. I won't plan to renew unless that changes.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Has anyone heard yet about Royal Ambassador and Kimpton Inner Circle extensions?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Uglook
My status and certificate, which expired on March 1, both extended to June 1.
Wow that's useful Whole of UK (where IC is based) is on lockdown (people were just fined 1000 for driving to Devon to fish) but IC anticipates you can use your cert (and paid Ambassador perks) before June 1. Brilliant. And no better here in California.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:30 pm

I'm assuming that IHG are doing waves of extensions meaning 1 May expiring status & certificates get extended by end April. So far our 1 May account is still showing that.

The 3 months extension is a joke in the current situation and really show poorly on IHG after Hilton, Hyatt and finally even Marriott came out with much better policies and treatment. However, if Google translate is right members in Greater China will get 6 months, anyways, it doesn't have to make sense what IHG Execs are dreaming up in their Lala land.
Boraxo and koriobg like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:06 am

Programs: *A Gold, IHG Rewards Diamond Amb, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Wow that's useful Whole of UK (where IC is based) is on lockdown (people were just fined 1000 for driving to Devon to fish) but IC anticipates you can use your cert (and paid Ambassador perks) before June 1. Brilliant. And no better here in California.
It is interesting to notice, that I had plans to use my original certificate for stay in February in China
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 3:06 am

I think overall IHG does not want to forgo the renewal fees from AMB program for too long and hence is hesitant to give free extensions for extended periods of time. As the FWNC are tied to having a valid, active AMB membership they are in a bit of a pickle.

They can't just extend the AMB certificate on its own like the credit card ones as it has to go along with the active AMB membership. It is a real cash loss for IHG in that case if they extend membership far into the future. Hence the hesitation I think.

What is silly though is that under AMB T&Cs you can already request a once in a lifetime 2 or 6 months extension so what gives? Anyways ...
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:04 pm

So as of today (18 Apr) the AMB account status shows expiry by 1 Aug 2020 after previously being 1 May 2020. So far so good.

However, this being IHG, of course that's only half the picture as the AMB free weekend night certificate is still showing 1 May 2020 expiry. Well done the usual joy one gets from being an IHG customer. I shall wait a few days to see if it gets fixed and if not will have to recontact Ambassador services again.

Given the current circumstances, 3 month is pretty inadequate anyways, but we shall see. So far IHG policies as to status and certificate extensions have been some of the most inadequate (aka embarrassing) ones of all the major chains. While I don't follow Accor, but Hilton, Hyatt and even finally Marriott are far exceeding whatever IHG has put forward. It shall be remembered is all I can say. YMMV.
Boraxo, Carel1, koriobg and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My extension must still be in the queye but then again it isn't until 1st September. I'd be happy with 3 months- though 6 would, of course, be better - as I am now looking to use it in November rather than July.

Just to clarify you need to have used not just booked a stay using your voucher before your expiry date?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:09 pm

Correct, used. A booking beyond the expiry date of the certificate doesn't do anything as the certificate is only "used" when you are at the property. It is not "reserved / used" when you make a booking.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:17 pm

Had an update from Ambassador Services, apparently the extension of the certificate and the status are now separated. Here is the relevant part from the email:

In light of COVID-19, the following changes will be put in place for all countries outside of the Greater China region only, for Ambassador member(s):

• Membership: Members will receive a complimentary three-month extension which will be applied to the account a few weeks from today, (for guests who were members on 1 March 2020).
• Weekend Night Certificate: The Weekend Night Certificate expiry date is unchanged, this will expire in line with the members original Ambassador expiry date, so another certificate shall be posted with the expiration date of the extended membership.

Kindly monitor
your account as it will be processed within the coming weeks.
I guess it doesn't have to make sense, but alas this is what the current process is apparently supposed to be. It is contrary to experiences from other poster who reported an extension of status and certificate jointly, but who knows. My experience matches the process the Ambassador Services Team describes above so I guess we'll be monitoring come 1st May if the certificate is extended or a new one posted (if one can distinguish between the two events). YMMV.

I had also commented on the inadequacy of the 3 months extension, but of course one should not expect response or even acknowledgement.
Boraxo and koriobg like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
My AMB expiry was extended over night.

Emailed them re the voucher and response came in a couple of hours. They reedemed the old voucher and issued a new one matching the new expiry date.

Seems a bit of a convoluted way to do it but likely the simplest way.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 22, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.