Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Seen this in passing on a couple of other threads but thought it was worth one of its own due to its significance.

Changes in earning requirements for Gold, Platinum and Spire

With more constrained travel plans and a shorter time period during which members can earn Elite tier status, we are reducing the Elite membership criteria required (nights or points) this year by 25% or more:
There is then a link to this table https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory I've just listed the new 2020 figures

Revised criteria

Gold - 7 qualifying nights or 7,000 qualifying points
Platinum - 30 nights or 30,000 points
Spire - 55 nights or 55,000 points

Extention of Ambassador Membership by 3 months

Alongside this, we are also providing a complimentary three-month extension to your InterContinental Ambassador membership. In line with our usual process, membership of our invitational Royal Ambassador tier will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.

These changes will be reflected in member accounts in the coming weeks.
FLYGVA likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 11, 2020 at 7:07 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
55 nights... possibly doable... well except for the fact that I can't travel abroad now due to Covid-19. Ugh.
Wolfram Heerlen likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
I wonder if they'll also extend the validity of the AMB Weekend certificate
Genius1 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
My wife is at 64000 points but still Platinum so I guess the changes haven’t propagated through IHG IT yet. Still it’s good that they’re showing some flexibility
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
My wife is at 64000 points but still Platinum so I guess the changes havent propagated through IHG IT yet. Still its good that theyre showing some flexibility
Further information on the website says please allow up to four weeks for the systems to be updated.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Temedar
+1
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
55 nights... possibly doable... well except for the fact that I can't travel abroad now due to Covid-19. Ugh.
There's still a lot of domestic IHG properties for most of us eh? I'm at an IC now and should hit 50 nights this weekend.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:57 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Temedar
Me too. We have one expiring May 1 and if Thailand tightens restrictions and quarantine regulations further we won't be able to use it at IC Hua Hin as planned and can't really change to other place. IHG should definitely extend them for 6+ months / end of year like Hyatt did with it's free nights and Suite Nights awards and such.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:02 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stimpy
There's still a lot of domestic IHG properties for most of us eh? I'm at an IC now and should hit 50 nights this weekend.
In the US maybe, over here in Asia not so much , but then loyalty status doesn't really matter that much in the current situation in my book at least.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Domestically I lean towards Marriott and Hilton... IHG is my tertiary chain as it doesn't have properties in good locales in many of the cities I visit. Abroad however, IHG is much more commonly used (by me at least).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demue
In the US maybe, over here in Asia not so much , but then loyalty status doesn't really matter that much in the current situation in my book at least.
Aren't there more IC's in China than the US? Several in Thailand and Japan too.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:14 pm

Aren't there more IC's in China than the US? Several in Thailand and Japan too.
And you would gladly hop over to China in the current situation to gain loyalty status? YMMV, not me.
manucanuck likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you would gladly hop over to China in the current situation to gain loyalty status? YMMV, not me.
If I had a business reason of course I would go. From what I've read, China is now the safest place to be with few new cases. I have not slowed down my travel at all. I few to the US 6 days ago and have been on the move every day.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
As per today probably better than Europe and for sure better than the US in terms of Corona.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
As per today probably better than Europe and for sure better than the US in terms of Corona.
Yep... if it weren't for the fact that I could possibly be carrying the virus with me without showing symptoms, I'd have no problems heading to Hong Kong, South Korea etc. Safer than Europe / US with more hospital capacity if needed.

It's certainly time for people to recognise that this is long past being a "China virus".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.