Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blindman
UPDATE - 23rd April 2020

Status will be extended through to January 2022 (please wait for it to reflect in accounts. IHG say this will happen 'in the coming weeks'

Spire members will receive another choice benefit

See this post for links to IHG page https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32317728-post77.html

12th March 2020 Change in Requalification Requirement for IHG Status

In regard to the situation with the ongoing Coronavirus, IHG Rewards Club changed the requirment for earnng and requalification of Rewards Club Status

Gold: 7000 points / 7 nights (regular 10000 points / 10 nights)
Platinum: 30000 points / 30 nights (regular 40000 points / 40 nights)
Spire: 55000 points / 55 nights (regular 75000 points / 75 nights)

Link: https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/customer-care/travel-advisory

Please note, that IHG also mentions, that it may take up to 4 weeks until the updated information is available in the account overview.

Ambassador Status: extended for 3 months (China seems to be 6 months)
Royal Ambassador: will be extended through January 2022. The thread about this is here

For discussion of an extension of the Ambassador free night certificate see this thread.

For discussion on cancellations of stays (general bookings) see this thread.
For discusson on cancelations of stay in regard to events, conference, etc which are canceled, see this thread.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: IHG Rewards Club & InterContinental Ambassador membership extension

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FFlash
My Spire showed end of 2021 right on renewal
So you have already qualified for spire again during this year? Meaning you are spire for 2020 as well as 2021? This is the normal intended qualifying behavior correct?

I believe bob12403 and I may be confused as to why we haven’t been extended. We haven’t yet qualified! However the screenshot posted by manucanuck contradicts my theory...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
So you have already qualified for spire again during this year? Meaning you are spire for 2020 as well as 2021? This is the normal intended qualifying behavior correct?

I believe bob12403 and I may be confused as to why we haven’t been extended. We haven’t yet qualified! However the screenshot posted by manucanuck contradicts my theory...
No I never re-qualified by points but I bought Ambassador to extend my Spire
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

IHG did extending Greater China membership by one year.

What is the problem for IHG to not do the same for European and American members? Since now we are in the same boat.
Fims and yurtripper like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Not so much of a problem for elites, but I guess IHG haven't annouced anything about extending/pausing expirary of points 'eh?

Guess I'll have to make some sort of transaction again this year.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:15 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

I have moved questions in regard to an extension of the Ambassador Free Night Certificate to its own thread. Please follow the dsicussion in the aforementioned thread.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC,CX,KE,EK / IHG Spire, 1865 Gateway
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm not worried about status either. I am mostly worried about the daily workers at the hotels who will be sent home without any sufficient compensation. That is why I was happy to stay at IC's all last week and eat and drink in the hotel. I helped keep a few more people employed for a few more days. I do not yet have a business reason to travel this week and maybe not much for several weeks.

I am also worried about hotel owners deciding to shut the doors for a year or more to close off any expenses on their end. I seriously believe the panic steps that people and governments are taking will have a much worse effect on our society than the coronavirus.
Me - a hotelier - can honestly tell you that we are worried sick. You don't know the people coming through your door, some lied about their travel history, some refusing to co-operate with the basic body temperature measurement. Like com'on people please be more considerate. Lucky enough my hotel does not accept any quarantine bounded guests and will refuse bookings if failed to meet our requirements, but there are a lot of hotels that do take quarantined guests and I just wish those owners or managements had given the staff enough protections... afterall we are just humans and no one wants to be affected by any misfortune.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
My status is still showing as expiring at the end of this year. For those who have had it extended until the end of 2021, did you do anything extra?
Nope - as you can see from my activity i have NOT stayed in any properties within the year. No idea why am I receiving an extension to year 2021...... Perhaps it was due to my registered address being in Hong Kong aka GC?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:42 pm

Oh wait I think i've just proven my theory It says China Tier extension through 2021
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:15 am

My expiry for Spire Elite shows end of 2019... yet I still show as Spire Amb when checking in and making bookings etc.

I managed to rack up 54,991 odd points (9 short!!!) already this year... I am hoping that I can get the additional 9 for Spire Elite soon..

Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I notice that people with Ambassador don't have the Maintain Elite Status option - presumably because AMB preserves whatever status you have.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
My (comped) spire elite is now valid until 12/2021. I'm very far from reaching even the new lower thresholds, and I've never been to or booked a hotel in China.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Nada, HH Diamond, IHG Spire AMB, Marriott Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
My (comped) spire elite is now valid until 12/2021. I'm very far from reaching even the new lower thresholds, and I've never been to or booked a hotel in China.
My Spire is also showing 12/2021 expiry, at 43 nights so far this year so I haven't even achieved the reduced threshold. Announcement coming especially after Hilton's move?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by strickers
My Spire is also showing 12/2021 expiry, at 43 nights so far this year so I haven't even achieved the reduced threshold. Announcement coming especially after Hilton's move?
As usual, IHG is tying itself in knots.

Hilton offers generous, easy to understand, blanket one-year extensions to status. Also offers a no-nonsense conversion of current and future reservations to flexible status.

Hilton focusses on fairness and the long-term benefits of customer loyalty. IHG creates flash sales to generate short-term revenue at a time when encouraging travel is perhaps not such a sensible move.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:07 am

I couldn't agree more. Usually American hotels companies are generally better and fair in trying to keep customers loyalty that their European counterparts.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
I see my Spire status is until Dec 2022, nice but strange 🤔

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.