Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Maldives - RA Booking 50% cancelled - Fuming!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: krisflyer, hilton, ihg, accor
hummm this discussion is getting more interesting...here is my personal experience: back to more than a decade ago, I was flying from Gold Coast to Sydney via virgin Australia. My flight got cancelled. Everyone was offered to take the shuttle to Brisbane and fly to Sydney from Brisbane airport, plus a credit equal to the air fare to be used in the future, plus aud 12 voucher to be used in the airport to buy some food ( I got Aud 24 when I looked the girl like I couldn’t believe this happened.) So this is like a free flight. Everyone in the shuttle looked happy. No one word of complaint. People look like their herds might be hungry for a couple of hours but they would got fed later anyway.

Originally Posted by demue
See my other post if you don't mind. A fantastic GM from IHG / Resort Owner angle probably.

A GM caring about guests and their experience not so much in this case. Such a GM would never have let it come to a situation like this and made such a terrible offer with no concern for guests further accomodations etc.

He knew / knows fully well what he and his team were doing and likely even anticipated such individual escalation cases that he is now handling. As GM his #1 KPI is profit maximization and Guest Satisfaction doesn't even come a close second so I understand the drive to maximize profit. I just think at a minimum alternative accomodations and transportation should have been part of an honest, customer minded offer in such an inaccessible place where you cannot easily reaccommodate yourself with barely four weeks notice and exposure to very high costs that are not of your own making.

​​​​​A contract (reservation) is a contract and a buyout does not constitute extraordinary circumstances like a natural disaster or such. Of course, making alternative arrangements for individual guests is hard ,time consuming and eats into said profits, but they knew this fully well when they accepted the buyout. So we don't need to put him on a "pedestal" for a situation that has been his charge to control and manage in the first place. YMMV.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yes, the GM will be able to bill the buy-out guest for the costs of your reacommodation.
Any final resolution in sight?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by warakorn
Yes, the GM will be able to bill the buy-out guest for the costs of your reacommodation.
Any final resolution in sight?
yes I think we are almost there.

we have another hotel which is geographically close to the IC for the two weeks, Stefan has arranged half board to help cover the lost “club” benefits and has personally vouched for and introduced me to the GM. The room type is similar is almost every way. I have had to make some compromises (Small ones) it appears he’s worked hard to resolve the issue.

It’s the Amilla on Baa Atoll which they’ve placed us in, I’d be interested for your thoughts on this vs the IC. I’m not convinced it’ll be as good as the IC but having never visited either I just don’t know.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
All I can say is that the resort looks pretty good and has solid TripAdvisor ratings. Not a bad resolution if it comes through. I assume all your IHG points get refunded?
skaya likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:50 am
Original Poster

All I can say is that the resort looks pretty good and has solid TripAdvisor ratings. Not a bad resolution if it comes through. I assume all your IHG points get refunded?
no sign of points refund, however he has arranged to come and see us at the Amilla when we get there and I was planning to discuss with him at that point unless you think that’s a bad idea? They are obvs paying for the Amilla so I’m not out of pocket, I don’t want to ask for too much and seem greedy so any pointers on this would be appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Only you can decide whether to discuss the points part or not. Depends entirely on your expectations as part of this "reaccomodation settlement".

Normally, in a regular walk scenario the hotel walking you would cover first night, transportation to new hotel and then possibly the cost difference to the new property if there is a stark rate difference meaning the new property is much more expensive.

Here it seems (I'm speculating) the IC is planning to have you as a guest "on paper' for the full stay duration, collect your 1.3m points and receive whatever IHG will compensate for your room. This could (for the buyout period) even be best available rate as the property will be running at 100% in the system, depends. If so, not a terrible hit for them.

YMMV, but for all the hassle and troubles you had to go through and assuming you are not much better of at the new property, personally I would request some additional compensation, e.g. return of some of the points or whatever you feel is appropriate. This was a fight you had to go through and if there's no pain the property won't learn a lesson. This has to be within reason and not blind milking, but that is an individual decision. Good luck.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
See my other post if you don't mind. A fantastic GM from IHG / Resort Owner angle probably.

A GM caring about guests and their experience not so much in this case. Such a GM would never have let it come to a situation like this and made such a terrible offer with no concern for guests further accomodations etc.

He knew / knows fully well what he and his team were doing and likely even anticipated such individual escalation cases that he is now handling. As GM his #1 KPI is profit maximization and Guest Satisfaction doesn't even come a close second so I understand the drive to maximize profit. I just think at a minimum alternative accomodations and transportation should have been part of an honest, customer minded offer in such an inaccessible place where you cannot easily reaccommodate yourself with barely four weeks notice and exposure to very high costs that are not of your own making.

​​​​​A contract (reservation) is a contract and a buyout does not constitute extraordinary circumstances like a natural disaster or such. Of course, making alternative arrangements for individual guests is hard ,time consuming and eats into said profits, but they knew this fully well when they accepted the buyout. So we don't need to put him on a "pedestal" for a situation that has been his charge to control and manage in the first place. YMMV.
I think there's lots of assumptions in here. First off, any GM would be irresponsible to pass up large buyouts. This happens all the time in various travel companies, and everyone has a reason why it has ruined their life. These contracts can often be huge huge money. Enough money to help you decide which party you would want to please more. No responsible GM is "caring" enough to take a noble stand to lose out on this money. Second, I would venture to guess that not all guests are going to have this level of escalation. OP is more so than others because of wanting to pay in points, having a specific duration, and their highest status. Many people would be quite ok with moving to another resort, and taking 300,000 IHG points. I know I have had some excellent stays with half that many points.

I could be wrong here, but pretty much any company has in their terms and conditions that they can cancel anything at anytime, except where the law states otherwise. Obviously. this is not good business, so the offer of points was made. This doesn't mean that if I was the OP, I wouldn't negotiate for more though. An RA should get taken care of.

I would never want to be a GM of such a property. From the expectations of the guests, to the expectations of the stakeholders, that is some serious work. You definitely have to be a fine GM to run such a place. Regardless of what people feel about a big business trying to make money.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:07 am

Only you can decide whether to discuss the points part or not. Depends entirely on your expectations as part of this "reaccomodation settlement".

Normally, in a regular walk scenario the hotel walking you would cover first night, transportation to new hotel and then possibly the cost difference to the new property if there is a stark rate difference meaning the new property is much more expensive.

Here it seems (I'm speculating) the IC is planning to have you as a guest "on paper' for the full stay duration, collect your 1.3m points and receive whatever IHG will compensate for your room. This could (for the buyout period) even be best available rate as the property will be running at 100% in the system, depends. If so, not a terrible hit for them.

YMMV, but for all the hassle and troubles you had to go through and assuming you are not much better of at the new property, personally I would request some additional compensation, e.g. return of some of the points or whatever you feel is appropriate. This was a fight you had to go through and if there's no pain the property won't learn a lesson. This has to be within reason and not blind milking, but that is an individual decision. Good luck.
As the second week of the stay has been cancelled, I had already assumed at this point that all the points for the second week have been refunded.

I would have thought the second week of points should be refunded.

I wouldn't push for the 300,000 points compensation -or the first week of points to be refunded - as the new offer sounds fair and I wouldn't want to look greedy (some may disagree though!)
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:11 am

Hi Super Mario, if you look at what I shared, I'm not saying at any moment that the GM & IHG should have rejected the buyout. There is a lot of commercial reason to go ahead with it and they are smart enough to factor / estimate all the potential costs and ramifications of such a buyout as well.

However, the initial email "offer" made to guests like JSR2014 with approximately 4 weeks notice seems to treat such a stay in the Maldives with all its challenges (limited flights in and out even ignoring redemption, transportation challenges, etc.) like a walk in a major town where you can easily re-book your hotel, have the hotel that walks you pay your first night at the new property and where you then hop in a cab over there (again normally paid by the hotel that walks you) and be done with it.

Yes, this is a bit of a dramatization, but effectively the offer does nothing, absolutely nothing to help guests with things like:
  • Suggestions of similar properties within vicinity of IC (maybe even with prearranged special rates or similar)
  • Suggestions of transportation arrangements (maybe even island to island which is not commonly permitted by resorts in the Maldives)
  • Offer to help with costs for flight changes or such if people are willing to shorten their stays
  • etc.
The 300K points offered to the OP need to be contrasted to a booked 13 night stay during which he/ she now would have had to find a new suitable and available hotel (at a potential higher cost assuming similar standard, late booking), arranging transportation (if you are unlucky back to Male and from there to the new place, waste of vacation time and money), possible flight changes, vacation disruptions like packing and unpacking as well as other possibly not insignificant additional costs for lack of loyalty benefits and such. The hotel offered no support along those lines in their email, absolutely none, nada, nothing. Appalling in my book, but opinions differ.

Hence, to me that is a clear sign of a property and management team (led by a GM) taking the easy way out and just looking at the profit side of things while "sticking" booked, confirmed guests with the problems and repercussions of actions out of said guests control. This is clearly not the picture perfect model I would imagine of a "caring for your customers" type of management.

Is it an easy undertaking to arrange for alternatives for guests and cover at least some of the costs incurred? No, certainly not. However, this can be done in a much, much better way that would take care of some of above points. On the downside though it costs a lot of time and effort for the IC and definitely reduces said profits from the buyout that they already seems to be looking to maximize at the expense of the perceived "weaker guests". A crappy move in my book, but we all can have our own views. YMMV.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by demue; Mar 2, 2020 at 4:05 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Lionheart
As the second week of the stay has been cancelled, I had already assumed at this point that all the points for the second week have been refunded.

I would have thought the second week of points should be refunded.

I wouldn't push for the 300,000 points compensation -or the first week of points to be refunded - as the new offer sounds fair and I wouldn't want to look greedy (some may disagree though!)
Maybe, we are both working with assumptions. As the OP shared, he / she is not certain any of the points will be returned, hence I mentioned a possible scenario. I'm not saying it is that way.

Also, to my understanding, the OP will not be spending any time at the IC and stay the entire 13 nights at the new resort instead as he / she does not want to move his family midway through the vacation. Unless OP is now paying for said new resort (not my understanding again), how would the IC return the points for the first 8 nights as well to the OP while they also pay for the new resort? Let's hear from the OP if he / she can share what the final agreement is.

Last edited by demue; Mar 2, 2020 at 3:39 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Hello again - happy to be open and honest on this, as I think I have been throughout.

the IC are paying for our 13 nights in the new hotel, accommodation and half board. Once again over the weekend Stefan proved to be an excellent GM. I was speaking with the new hotel and was concerned that they were not honouring the late checkout perk which was really important to us as we are on the 11pm flight on our return. Stefan advised that he will just book (and pay for) another night if required.

I really do think that this was a bad situation, made worse by the initial "offer" but since its been escalated I think that they have provided the best outcome that anyone could have hoped for. Would I like my points returned and would that be fair? I am not so sure it would be fair. However I would love it if they can offer a discounted rate for 2021 (points) to enable me to finally stay at the IC as it truly looks to be an amazing property.

Now, whats frustrating about this whole thing is the niggle in the back of my mind that no matter how fantastic Stefan has been (and he has, you can see multiple comments where I praise him and his response), he must have been aware of the initial offer, and one would assume that he signed off on it. Still, its one of those things, we are still going to the Maldives and we still have an overwater villa. We are very lucky to be able to do so and without Stefan's intervention we would not be doing so.

The reason that we would not be doing so is that I simply would not have been able to raise the funds for 13 nights in an over water villa in the Maldives in such a short period of time. I am sure that some here would be able to do so, and one day I hope to be in that position. However the budgeting was based on having the hotel on points, therefore the £11k spent on flights and then budgeting for F&B left the pot somewhat empty. I am really grateful to all of you for your help and advice as I believe it enabled this outcome to become a reality.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 3:50 am

Sounds good as long as you are happy with the outcome (and I hope all will be delivered as expected). Whether the IC keeps your points for the first 8 or even all of the 13/14 nights is a different story and it is fair enough that it doesn't matter to you much. I speculate and say they will keep them for all 13/14 nights and collect some money from IHG for that, but alas that's a side note.

On your frustrations, as you can tell, I can fully sympathize with you and I find that part - the utter lack of assistance and alternatives offered initially to guests like you prior to your escalations - the highly disappointing part. In whatever way one looks at this overall situation, ultimately, the bucket (responsibility) stops with the GM. YMMV.

Have a great vacation JSR2014.

PS: For possible hospitality industry insiders, let us not get into scenarios where the property owner is very "involved" in day to day operations of a hotel / resort and does silly things that interfere with a major chains GM / Hotel Manager best advise and guidance. A totally different "animal" all together.
JSR2014 likes this.

Last edited by demue; Mar 2, 2020 at 3:56 am
Old Mar 2, 2020, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Am I completely satisfied? No, I wanted the room and hotel which I booked. I guess I am just about satisfied "enough" but it still leaves a bit of a bad taste in the mouth, the other point is that if anything goes wrong or is not as expected at the replacement hotel it will subconsciously be amplified 1000% by my brain "Would I have had this issue as an RA at the IC?" "Would this have been resolved differently as an RA?" etc etc

I hope all will be delivered as expected.
Me too!!

Sounds good as long as you are happy with the outcome (and I hope all will be delivered as expected). Whether the IC keeps your points for the first 8 or even all of the 13/14 nights is a different story and it is fair enough that it doesn't matter to you much. I speculate and say they will keep them for all 13/14 nights and collect some money from IHG for that, but alas that's a side note.
Well....I say they keep them and use them for a stay in 2021 for me haha - that would be an amazing service recovery IMHO.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: krisflyer, hilton, ihg, accor
half board is a very good deal for you. If you had the original plan in IC, you would have to pay for lunch and dinner even you are RA.

Originally Posted by JSR2014
Hello again - happy to be open and honest on this, as I think I have been throughout.

the IC are paying for our 13 nights in the new hotel, accommodation and half board. Once again over the weekend Stefan proved to be an excellent GM. I was speaking with the new hotel and was concerned that they were not honouring the late checkout perk which was really important to us as we are on the 11pm flight on our return. Stefan advised that he will just book (and pay for) another night if required.

I really do think that this was a bad situation, made worse by the initial "offer" but since its been escalated I think that they have provided the best outcome that anyone could have hoped for. Would I like my points returned and would that be fair? I am not so sure it would be fair. However I would love it if they can offer a discounted rate for 2021 (points) to enable me to finally stay at the IC as it truly looks to be an amazing property.

Now, whats frustrating about this whole thing is the niggle in the back of my mind that no matter how fantastic Stefan has been (and he has, you can see multiple comments where I praise him and his response), he must have been aware of the initial offer, and one would assume that he signed off on it. Still, its one of those things, we are still going to the Maldives and we still have an overwater villa. We are very lucky to be able to do so and without Stefan's intervention we would not be doing so.

The reason that we would not be doing so is that I simply would not have been able to raise the funds for 13 nights in an over water villa in the Maldives in such a short period of time. I am sure that some here would be able to do so, and one day I hope to be in that position. However the budgeting was based on having the hotel on points, therefore the £11k spent on flights and then budgeting for F&B left the pot somewhat empty. I am really grateful to all of you for your help and advice as I believe it enabled this outcome to become a reality.
JSR2014 likes this.

Last edited by NotTellYou; Mar 2, 2020 at 6:41 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 3, 2020, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by JSR2014

[...] .
So, in the end, you paid 100k point per night (13 nights = 1.3 milion points) and they moved you to Amilla on Baa Atoll, half broad and transportation included?
or
Did you get Amilla on Baa Atoll, half broad and transportation included plus the points refund from 8th to 13th April 2020 (=500k point refund)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.