Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FLYGVA
The current rule by IHG in regard to cancelation due to the Coronavirus is published on:
https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/customer-care/travel-advisory-covid-19

There are different rules for regular bookings and group and event bookings.

For new Booking (bookings made between April 06, 2020 and December 31, 2020)
Any non-refundable/pre-paid bookings for arrivals up to and including December 31, can be cancelled without penalty (up to 24 hours before arrival) up until December 31, 2020*.
For arrivals from January 01, 2021 all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked. Other rates have flexibility built in to the terms and conditions, including cancellation options. Please consult the terms and conditions of your booking for more details.

New Rule as of April 05, 2020 (last revised August 31, 2020)
(thank to rdh0924 and this post:
Free nights earned through credit cards are also being extended, depending on when they were earned. No new information on status requirements. Below is information directly from IHG's travel advisory page. Note the exception regarding China:

Cancellation policy & booking flexibly
Given the flexibility our guests and customers need right now we have implemented the following policies:

For Existing Bookings:
Existing bookings (bookings made by April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels* can be changed or cancelled for stays up to Decemer 31, 2020, noting that:

Important Information:
  • Hotels are subject to local law in the market in which they operate. Therefore, government legislation and regulations may supersede this policy in specific circumstances. (including the type and timing of the refund).
  • If you cancel a rate which required a deposit or payment in advance, we will do everything we can to process your refund as quickly as possible. Refunds (which may be vouchers where required by local law) may take up to 90 days for hotels to process from the date of cancellation. Reservations may be changed without a fee but may result in different pricing.
  • Exclusions may apply for time periods with special event restrictions or peak demand weeks.
  • Bookings via a third-party: For bookings made through an online booking platform (e.g. Booking.com, Expedia) or third-party travel professionals, please contact them directly – we have advised these companies of our cancellation policy and you should refer to their terms and conditions.
  • Groups & Meetings Bookings: We will work with customers to manage any changes needed to Group & Meeting bookings on a case by case basis. Our hotels are actively supporting groups and meetings organizers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time, in line with terms and conditions of that booking. Please contact the hotel the booking was made with to discuss further.
*Cancellation fees for existing and new domestic bookings at all IHG hotels in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region will be waived for stays up to April 30, 2020

From January 01, 2021, all non-refundable/pre-paid bookings will be subject to the terms and conditions of the rate booked.

Additionally:

Anniversary night certificates earned through IHG Rewards Club credit cards (USA & UK):

We are extending the expiration date of anniversary and free night certificates that are set to expire in 2020. Certificates expiring from March 1, 2020 can now be used through August 31, 2021.

Certificates issued in 2020 will have an 18-month redemption time period.

Old Rule (for reference) and probably still apply for booking in China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan

IHG is waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels worldwide for stays between 09 March, 2020 and 30 April, 2020.

This is in addition to existing cancellation policy measures IHG has in place. These are.
For any stay prior to 09 March, 2020, existing measures mean that you will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, if you are travelling to or from:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
For bookings made through a travel agent or an online booking platform contact them direct. IHG has advised these companies of the cancellation policy.

This thread here is to discuss this booking, which are individual bookings. The aforementioned rule does not apply for event and group bookings (if made as such bookings). We understand it the way, that if you travel to a trade fair or conference and made a booking with the hotel of your own, this is an individual booking.

Group and Event Bookings
There is a dedicated rule for group and event bookings. IHG deals with this on a case-by-case basis.
IHG hotels are actively supporting customers to address the needs of each group, including moving event dates to another time. Groups & Meetings can continue to apply existing measures by IHG which enables the guest / organizer to change or cancel a valid booking reservation without financial penalty, in:
  • Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and the Taiwan region for any stay between 23 January, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
  • Italy and South Korea for any stay between 28 February, 2020 and 9 March, 2020.
You should contact the hotel to discuss this further.
It seems, that IHG is less relaxed on group bookings. These could not canceled.
We understand, that it has to be an event booking (trade fair rates may or may not belong to this).

We have a thread, which is about cancelation of events or rooms in regard to events:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2011602-modifying-non-refundable-booking-following-event-cancellation-due-coronavirus.html

Status Extenstion
Information about the extension of status could be found in this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/2012459-ihg-rewards-club-status-intercontinental-ambassador-membership-extension.html
This should be discussed in the thread mentioned above.

Ambassador Cancellations
IHG emailed Ambassador members on 3/11/20. The second paragraph of this notice said "With that in mind, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG® hotels globally for stays between 9 March and 30 April 2020." It remains to be seen if "waiving cancellation fees" equates to the refund of pre-paid, non-refundable bookings made before the email.

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus: Cancellation Policy (update as of August 31, 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I thought that this was a thread about a hotel chain's waiver and cancellation policy in Shanghai. Turns out that it is an OMNI debate about geopolitical matters followed by comments from medical experts in communicable diseases.

Fact is that the hotel chain has taken a commercial decision to protect its brand.
tcook052 and Chinatrvl like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:00 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
I thought mainland China has already urged its own people to avoid going out, including the everlasting tradition of visiting relatives during the festive season. Can't that decision come from within for this reason?

Would speculate the waiver be extended if current trend continues.
Graf von B likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
They can do what they want and everybody may have his opinion on this. Fact of the matter is that the risk to die from the flue in the US is dramatically higher than to die from a Corona Virus in China and even more dramatically higher than even to come into contact with the virus outside Wuhan. In particular the rest of China might well be by far safer than the entire US. The current administration has an agenda if it comes to China.
There is a vaccine for the flu which, if people are smart enough to get it, drastically reduces and already low fatality rate. I actually get paid to get the flu vaccine every year since the local grocery offers a $10 gift card for getting it. Unless you are allergic or otherwise medically prevented from getting the vaccine, you are stupid not to get it
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: Meh
Is there an official position taken by IHG on Hong Kong?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:56 pm

Hi everyone, anyone have experience getting full refund of a IHG hotel in America with a non-refundable reservation, if your can not come over from China due to the restriction now in place?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
The cancellation policy seems to be extended until the end of February.

Guests travelling to or from Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, or the Taiwan region between 23 January and 29 February 2020 will be able to change or cancel a valid booking reservation made via the hotel directly, IHG.com, the IHG App., or the IHG Central Reservations Centre, without financial penalty. For bookings made by a travel agent or online booking platform, we are advising guests to contact their agent.”

https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Just received this email from IHG:

Supporting your plans
We know that flexibility is what our guests are looking for right now. So, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels globally for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
california09 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:13 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Just received this email from IHG:

Supporting your plans
We know that flexibility is what our guests are looking for right now. So, we are waiving cancellation fees for existing and new bookings at all IHG hotels globally for stays between March 9, 2020 and April 30, 2020.
Does waiving cancellation fees include refunding deposits taken on non-refundable bookings? It’s not clear to me from the language on the IHG site.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:40 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Originally Posted by bgriff
Does waiving cancellation fees include refunding deposits taken on non-refundable bookings? It’s not clear to me from the language on the IHG site.

I really hope so, even though the expression is not very specific . I just cancelled my non-refundable booking in Macau SAR next week. They haven't charged me anything in advance, but let's see what happens now...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jann3
I really hope so, even though the expression is not very specific . I just cancelled my non-refundable booking in Macau SAR next week. They haven't charged me anything in advance, but let's see what happens now...
I’m assuming that’s the case otherwise it’s not really waiving cancellations fees!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:11 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by bgriff
From my understanding it is, if you book and prepaid booking, your credit card will be charged like on every booking, but if you cancel, they will reimburse you. In so far, you might run in a loss due a changing currency exchange rate and maybe fees from the credit card company.

But I noticed as well, that some hotels do not proceed with the charging a credit card righ now - even if it is prepaid.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Thanks all. In my case for a stay in the US, my card was indeed already charged, which is always the questionable case since needing them to actually refund you is a bigger ask than just not charging you. I’m not quite ready to cancel for a stay next month yet but I’ll report back on what happens if I pull the trigger.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:43 pm

So am I correct in saying we should now all be booking Advanced Saver Rates - instead of Best Flexible Rates - until 31st April 2020?
Considering they are now fully refundable as per the travel advisory (https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:06 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Lionheart
So am I correct in saying we should now all be booking Advanced Saver Rates - instead of Best Flexible Rates - until 31st April 2020?
Considering they are now fully refundable as per the travel advisory (https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...ravel-advisory)
April 30
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I have a pre-paid booking through an on line booking agency, this scenario is supposed to be included in the policy, but the travel company are not responding to contact, understandably they are probably incredibly busy, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.