NYC hotel using 40000 free night certificate?

Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
NYC hotel using 40000 free night certificate?

Wife and I each have a certificate and want to use them in NYC. Never have been before and it looks like there are a few choices. Thinking of staying around Times Square. Wife wants to see a play. Going in late August. Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
You are going to be hard pressed to find a IHG hotel in the Times Square area at which you can use your 40k certificate at since most hotels in that area are above 40k per night. The Candlewood Suites Times Square seems to have recently decreased their award cost so you have that as an alternative. Other than that you will be down near Wall Street, Brooklyn and other areas outside of TS.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:41 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Looking at the properties in Manhattan, it looks like the options are:

• Candlewood Suites Times Square
  • HI Lower East Side
  • HIX Midtown West
  • HI Wall Street
  • HIX Wall Street

I haven't stayed at any; I'd suggest reviewing the master threads for each property for the pros/cons. That being said, I would give a hard look at the HI Wall Street. All of the subway lines converge at the bottom of Manhattan and the HI is within walking distance of five separate lines. This makes getting/to from anywhere via subway very, very easy. The other HI and HIX are in locations that aren't as transit-friendly.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
  • HIX Midtown West
I wouldn't bet my life that that one is always at 40k. Candlewood was also more until recently so who knows how long it will stay at 40k. In the master thread on the certificates there was recently a discussion on there being NO 40k options to pick from other than the ones near Wall Street, LI, Brooklyn, etc. If something outside of those areas is showing up, I would book it quickly especially for the OP August timeframe.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Wall St has become a much more interesting place to stay in recent years and as noted above as great subway connections
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have walked by the HIX Midtown West on my way to/from the Ink48 several times and reiterate that it is in a transit wasteland compared to some of the other properties (I also work a few avenues away). As such, I would have a hard time recommending it to a first-time visitor to NYC (the OP). It isn't horrible for Times Square or the USS Intrepid, but a lot more walking for anything else.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 22, 2020 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:13 pm

Candlewood was definitely above 40k in December. I stayed a week at the HI Times Square on cash after being unable to find a use my 40k nights to no avail. You're lucky to even get the option.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
In high season the free nights would be of value; but in low season not so much so. In low season the cash booking would be the better value; that is if you have an opportunity to use the free night in the future. If the free nights are due to expire soon the NYC stay is a good thing. None of the 40,000 point bookings will exceed expectations. Last visit I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Bronx Nyc - Stadium Area for 20,000 points per night and the hotel and the neighborhood were more than satisfactory. The subway stop near the hotel was a convent option for the visit to NYC. The Times Square area is too loud and too busy and too touristy for my taste.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Hotel Indigo downtown Brooklyn might be worth a look... it is on Fulton mall, see some of real NYC instead of that tourist crap tourist square. Their is a subway line right out front of the hotel which will zoom you up that way to go for a show! And downtown Brooklyn has been revamped so tons of stuff there and it's pretty safe just like anywhere in the city it's all about how you carry yourself
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Booked Hotel Indigo. Thanks for every ones help.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Looking at the properties in Manhattan, it looks like the options are:
  • Candlewood Suites Times Square
  • HI Lower East Side
  • HIX Midtown West
  • HI Wall Street
  • HIX Wall Street

I haven't stayed at any; I'd suggest reviewing the master threads for each property for the pros/cons. That being said, I would give a hard look at the HI Wall Street. All of the subway lines converge at the bottom of Manhattan and the HI is within walking distance of five separate lines. This makes getting/to from anywhere via subway very, very easy. The other HI and HIX are in locations that aren't as transit-friendly.
Just don't count on that list staying that way forever. A few years ago, there were several IHG hotels in that Wall St area which were 35k and are now at least 40k. Not likely they'll stop moving up gradually just because there are now free night certs capped at 40k.

I also remember the HI Long Island City (right across the bridge from Manhattan) being way less than the 40k it is now. So will it too creep up in the future to be out of the running for capped certs?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 24, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.