FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inns in the US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/2003360-holiday-inns-us.html)

Dark Blue Jan 8, 2020 12:38 pm

Holiday Inns in the US

I stayed at six Holiday Inn properties in the US, I only got a room upgrade at one property. I did not get any upgrade at a Kimpton hotel either (they did not even offer any Spire benefit on checkin).

On the other hand, I was very well treated by two Crowne Plazas.

I wonder if the recognition of Spire at Holiday Inns is like this in the US. These hotels were not busy at all, I don't think there was no availability. I travel to the US a lot but mostly stay at non-Holiday Inn brands, I am a bit disappointed as I have been treated very well at HIs in the UK & Europe.

R.O. Jan 8, 2020 12:46 pm

You've opened a can of worms. HIs in the US... unsatisfactory on so many levels.

darthbimmer Jan 8, 2020 5:28 pm

One thing to understand about Holiday Inn properties in the US is that chances for a meaningful upgrade are small. Most buildings are low-rise construction with fairly uniform rooms. There might be only a few genuine suites-- and those are likely to be little more than 2 normal rooms with an opening between them and standard-issue furnishings.

rbAA Jan 8, 2020 7:14 pm

There are many poor ones and many good ones, but it's a matter of where you are going. The brands also matter, as I like many of the IC properties, especially the IC SF, but there are good HI's like the HI Golden Gate, both in San Francisco. I'd had good experiences with the HIX properties, especially San Clemente where I stay frequently, and even a Candlewood Suites in Jacksonville, FL, but I have moderate expectations about them. On the other hand, the worst HI stay I had was a HI in NYC that made me wait 5 hours to get me into their worst room, facing the back, view of the building across an alley. And they seemed to enjoy pissing me off, as they checked in other guests who arrived after me.

Asian IHG properties seem to be the best.

Dark Blue Jan 9, 2020 7:02 am

Yes, HI's standards in the US are not so high in general, but apart from room types/categories, they should be able to allocate Spire to rooms with better views.

I was sometimes told "Your room has been upgrade to two double from one", which is not really "an upgrade"...

Super Mario Jan 9, 2020 7:56 am

I used to stay at a HI for work almost every month for a couple of years. I would say I got upgraded to a suite more often than not. They were nice sized rooms too. At other HIs, it was hit or miss.

bchandler02 Jan 9, 2020 12:09 pm

I have a pretty good upgrade success rate as a spire in the US across all IHG brands. Probably 70+% of the time, if I had to guess. I don't keep track.

Dark Blue Jan 9, 2020 4:23 pm

I actually spoke to a manager about the upgrade when I had an issue with breakfast. According to him, they normally allocate elite members to the best available room on checkin. They do not normally reserve better rooms prior to checking in, which I was told. So if you check in late, it's quite likely that all better rooms are taken.

Btw, I booked a breakfast rate for this time, which excludes a cold drink. You can choose water, coffee or tea, and buffet or $10 off a la carte. Egg menus are not included in the buffet. I was quite surprised to learn that a glass of juice was charged. If I pay, I rather go out to a nice cafe.

rbAA Jan 9, 2020 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue (Post 31930480)
I actually spoke to a manager about the upgrade when I had an issue with breakfast. According to him, they normally allocate elite members to the best available room on checkin. They do not normally reserve better rooms prior to checking in, which I was told. So if you check in late, it's quite likely that all better rooms are taken.

Btw, I booked a breakfast rate for this time, which excludes a cold drink. You can choose water, coffee or tea, and buffet or $10 off a la carte. Egg menus are not included in the buffet. I was quite surprised to learn that a glass of juice was charged. If I pay, I rather go out to a nice cafe.

I'd rather go out to a nice breakfast as even Waffle House is usually better than the hotel breakfasts. I always bring my own instant espresso coffee to make in the room or run downstairs for some hot water.

writerguyfl Jan 11, 2020 6:20 am

Basically, what you were told is exactly what is promised by the IHG Rewards Club.

"Platinum Elite and Spire Elite Members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, subject to and based on availability, and will only apply to the Member's personal guest room."
Source: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page

While anyone is welcome to complain about anything, it seems like your expectations might need to be adjusted. Expecting every hotel to go above and beyond the terms of the frequent guest program is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Dark Blue Jan 11, 2020 10:09 am

Originally Posted by writerguyfl (Post 31936579)
Basically, what you were told is exactly what is promised by the IHG Rewards Club.

"Platinum Elite and Spire Elite Members will be offered a complimentary upgrade, as determined by the hotel, which might include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views. The upgrade will be offered at time of check-in, subject to and based on availability, and will only apply to the Member's personal guest room."
Source: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/cu...er-tc/2nd-page

I see. My stays at HIs are mainly in Europe (or at LHR), I normally receive good rooms without asking. I have been holding the highest status with IHG (not Ambassador, gave up RA some years ago) for 12-13 years, 90% of these stays were satisfactory. I thought HIs (or other IHG properties) would reserve better rooms prior to arrival, so I had too much expectation for this time.

I sincerely apologise for my ignorance.

archstenton Jan 12, 2020 9:22 pm

The Holidomes in Fresno and Modesto were the Bomb. I remember the Fresno one in the back, the rooms had a pretty good view of the adjacent Drive in Theater.

darthbimmer Jan 12, 2020 9:51 pm

Elites being given upgrades only at check-in time, not earlier in the day when hotels typically "block" rooms, makes sense with my experiences at HI properties. At my last HI stay I arrived after midnight and was assigned what seemed like the least desirable room in the house: the farthest from the front desk, at the end of the hall in the adjoining building, facing the highway. "That's our last room tonight," they explained.

At two other HIs I've stayed at a few times each and usually arrive at between 10-11pm, I've never gotten a meaningful upgrade. One at least usually gives me a better located standard room, facing the interior courtyard and pool instead of the parking lot. The other routinely puts me in the back corridor facing the parking lot. Once I even got a downgrade.... I'd booked a suite (the price was attractive) but when I arrived after 10pm they told me it was unavailable because of "a mistake". I accepted the standard room they offered because they discounted the rate by way of apology and at that hour of the night I didn't want to try finding alternative accommodation.

s0ssos Jan 13, 2020 1:12 am

Holiday Inns in the US are basically nicer motels. If we used the terms "motel" they would be a "motel". A place where you can have headlights shining directly into your room cannot be a "hotel" in my opinion (first floor, parking right next to room)

Dark Blue Jan 13, 2020 9:16 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos (Post 31943437)
Holiday Inns in the US are basically nicer motels. If we used the terms "motel" they would be a "motel". A place where you can have headlights shining directly into your room cannot be a "hotel" in my opinion (first floor, parking right next to room)

They seem like, but HIX and CW are more like motels? I know I was wrong but I expected a bit more to HIs.

My last HI stay for this time was great, HI White House upgraded my standard room to a "larger room" but it was like a junior suite. I don't see that category published on the website, maybe special rooms reserved for status members? A friend of mine says this upgrade is consistent, and the other HI Capitol also well-recognises status members.