What to do with 97,772 expiring points?

Old Jan 6, 20, 12:05 am
Original Poster

What to do with 97,772 expiring points?

I have 97,772 pts expiring in about 3 weeks. I never stay at IHG properties (hence the expiring points). These points came from CC SUB/spend, I think.

So, what should I do. I could do something to extend the validity but that seems to be just kicking the can down the road. I don't think I will want to redeem them for a stay.

As far as I can tell, my best options are $250 in Amazon GCs, or 18k AS miles. The 18k AS miles are more valuable to me. My understanding is that this redempion will extend the validity, so should I happen to come across 2228 more points somehow, I could redeem for another 2k AS miles.

Any possibly better ideas? I have 3 weeks so I'm not in a huge rush.

Also if there is a very cheap way to top up my balance to over 100k (so I could get the extra 2k AS miles) I'd be interested in that.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:16 am

I'll take them off your hands for about treefiddy.
bchandler02, shoven, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:33 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by R.O. View Post
I'll take them off your hands for about treefiddy.
I assume, this is a joke and not an offer ...

... which would not be within the rules of Flyertalk.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
It used to be the case that you could download a free or dirt cheap ebook on the marketplace and it would extend the life for 12 months

70k points gets you are hotel stay in pretty much all hotels so why not use it for that? Many IC/Kimption are worth more than $250
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat
I have purchased points to extend. 1000 points is the minimum for about $13.50. That would at least give you more time to decide, or look for a nice redemption and buy enough to get a 2 or 3 night stay somewhere you like.
Exiled in Express likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by xooz View Post
I have purchased points to extend. 1000 points is the minimum for about $13.50. That would at least give you more time to decide, or look for a nice redemption and buy enough to get a 2 or 3 night stay somewhere you like.
I have also purchased points to extend family members' accounts. Buying 3k to get to 100,000 and the 2k additional AS miles seems a break even proposition.
Redhead likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 11:39 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
You should also take a look at this thread for ideas on extending the life of your points: Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?. Post 121 in that thread has a 3-point book redemption.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:12 pm

Start staying at IHG hotels. /close_thread
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
Start staying at IHG hotels. /close_thread
I am quite happy with the treatment I get at Hyatt; no desire to stay at IHG. But of course I don't want to waste my points. This is FT after all. The 4 pt book purchase was a great suggestion so I've definitely learned something from this thread.

BTW, 18k AS miles is not nothing. I just booked a business class SFO-NAN-MEL with a 5 day stop in NAN for 40k miles (current promo; normal price is 55k miles) + $127.50 in fees (NAN airport departure tax is no joke)
Old Jan 6, 20, 7:48 pm

100k IHG is definitely worth more than 20k AS. Just maybe not to you.
Old Jan 6, 20, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shimon View Post
100k IHG is definitely worth more than 20k AS. Just maybe not to you.
Yeah, exactly, that's the point. I was trying to get ideas of what I should do with them. Obviously people who stay at IHG should redeem. Transferring always loses value

Last edited by VegasGambler; Jan 7, 20 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 7, 20, 5:47 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

My goald would be not to let the points expire. Even if you are not into as IHG property, having them just in case to redeem it is alaways nice. So byuing 1000 miles would be my choice.

You also might in this case have a look at this thread: Preventing IHG Rewards Club points from expiring?
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I have 97,772 pts expiring in about 3 weeks. I never stay at IHG properties (hence the expiring points). These points came from CC SUB/spend, I think.

So, what should I do. I could do something to extend the validity but that seems to be just kicking the can down the road. I don't think I will want to redeem them for a stay.

As far as I can tell, my best options are $250 in Amazon GCs, or 18k AS miles. The 18k AS miles are more valuable to me. My understanding is that this redempion will extend the validity, so should I happen to come across 2228 more points somehow, I could redeem for another 2k AS miles.

Any possibly better ideas? I have 3 weeks so I'm not in a huge rush.

Also if there is a very cheap way to top up my balance to over 100k (so I could get the extra 2k AS miles) I'd be interested in that.
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:14 pm

you may be able to reddem a point and then keep it alive or you could someone you know hotel..
Old Jan 7, 20, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Certainly if you think IHG is about ageing Intercontinental’s, tatty Crowne Plazas, grotty Holiday Inns, and cheap Expresses, these days you’d be wrong. There’s some great Regents, Rehabbed Intercontinentals and new build Indigos and Crowne Plazas that would give Hyatt a proper run, indeed one such Crowne Plaza in Manchester (UK) is reflagging to Hyatt Regency within the next week. Choose carefully and that 97k will get you a free quality weekend worth at least $400 that will stand up to much of Hyatt’s inventory. However, if you’re determined not to use them on IHG hotel stays then transfers to airlines can release at least some value, I’ve redeemed 70k United miles for a 10-hour Lufthansa biz class flight, which is good value for United miles, and your stash would represent 18k United miles which is a quarter of that biz class seat releasing around $200 of value. Better than letting ‘em expire!
eponymous_coward and tdcao like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: