Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 97,772 expiring points?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 3:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How? Did you just call? Or was there a promo?

I'm only planning on staying once, and so I figure that having any status is better than no status.
They had a webpage up last year with a form which allowed me to send them screenshots to prove my Marriott Titanium status. Looks like that page has been taken down. https://www.ihg.com/trip-extras/us/en/statusmatch
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That requires spending $200 per year, and you don't get elite benefits on award stays- if you're not planning any paid stays and just want to burn the points or keep the points from expiring, this seems a rather inefficient way of keeping the account alive.
Generally I do get elite benefits on award stays - not that the benefits are great! More often than not I get upgrades, and have never been declined a late check out. IC stays have always had an in room gift.

I don't think this would justify the $200 spend for a single stay though!!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
Often forgotten apparently, for purposes of 'poking' a mile/points account .. the dining guys: http://ihgrewardsclubdining.rewardsnetwork.com/

once a year, or as needed, plug in your valid CC# and order a pizza or whatever.
In the between-time, an expired gift-card # makes a dandy place holder.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
How? Did you just call? Or was there a promo?

I'm only planning on staying once, and so I figure that having any status is better than no status.
Sure, but keep your expectations low. For instance, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express recently as a Platinum Ambassador, got told “your welcome amenity is 500 points”. Of course, since it was an award stay, no welcome amenity posted... 500 points is about two or two and a half bucks of points in my valuation.

Basically, if you’re in an award stay, you’ll get nothing and like it. IHG is an earn and burn for awards program, not one that gives warm fuzzies like Hyatt Globalist.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:30 am

Frankly, IHG benefits aren't very exciting. However, there is one small trick that may or may not give you some value on your Fiji stay. This is HIGHLY YMMV, but you can sometimes get some benefits at the property when you sign up for Ambassador when you check in. Like I said, highly YMMV and seems to vary greatly by property and employee but upgrades or other perks have been known to happen. It doesn't hurt to ask at check in.

OR... if you have a weekend involved with your stay, you might want to see if there is a BOGO night available during your stay. If so, sign up now and get the status perks as well as saving some money on your second night by using the BOGO night.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 3:48 am

On IHG digital rewards, do a search for Filmfare, to get a 150 point redemption.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, BW Diamond
IHG digital rewards redemptions hasn't worked for me in many months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.