Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Ambassador Experiences 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
ANA Intercontinental Tokyo

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Executive King (using IHG points), upgraded to King Club Intercontinental for 65,000 Yen per night. Since Ambassador room upgrade was unavailable, I was given 85,000 Yen hotel credit (for a four night stay)

How are the rooms?

Very nice, and seemed to have been recently renovated. While a little small (it was Tokyo!), the room was well laid out and offered a spectacular view of the Diet Building and Imperial Palace grounds.

How is the exec. lounge?

Easily the best part of the stay. It was large with multiple buffet and a la carte breakfast items. Evening cocktail service was spectacular featuring relative high end wines and champagne (they served Mumms). The buffet was expansive; I only tried the hot hors d'ouvres the last night and they were also excellent and could easily substitute for dinner.

What was good and what was bad?

Good: The Lounge and the views from the high floors were certainly a high point. The concierges were very helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations--they recommended a fantastic sushi restaurant that I would have never found on my own or through internet research. Also, the hotel was close to multiple metro stations and walkable to many bars and restaurants in Roppongi and elsewhere.
Bad: The restaurants and bars at the hotel were a little pricey, and as others have noted, were occasionally smokey.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?[/QUOTE]

Extremely good value at basically 55,000 points per night for a club InterContinental room. I would certainly return, but would probably book a Club Room as reviews of some of the other rooms are up and down.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by MB24

Executive King (using IHG points), upgraded to King Club Intercontinental for 65,000 Yen per night. (...)
65,000 Yen per night for Club access?? Is that maybe a typo?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AC E75K; SPG Gold; IHG Ambassador; NEXUS
Originally Posted by shonanroger
65,000 Yen per night for Club access?? Is that maybe a typo?
Yes--of course. I meant Y 6,500! Sorry.....
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by MB24
Yes--of course. I meant Y 6,500! Sorry.....
6,500 ¥ seems like a good deal for me! Much less than the difference in the room price...
Old Aug 16, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Intercontinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu

Intercontinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Stayed two nights as Spire Amb on points (27.5k per night). The points booking was for a standard King, received Executive King.

How are the rooms? Room was alright. View of Vieux Port and Notre-Dame de la Garde, partially obstructed through part of the building. The furniture showed some minor signs of use. But the bed was comfy. The bathroom was fine (this common construction of rain shower and toilet behind doors and a separate bathtub). Nothing to write home about, but fine for this type of hotel and room category.

How is the exec. lounge? Don't know if they got one. Don't know if it's open. Didn't have access.

Good: Location is perfect. The building is impressive. Nice ambience, nice outdoor bar on terrace (albeit overpriced). It's an elegant property and I think the price of 27.5k points per night is more than fair.

Bad: The hotel was fully booked (probably a rarity these days) and there were deficiencies in service. I arrived at 1pm and had requested an early check-in the day before via the app. I waited around 25 min in line (priority line not honored) only to find out that the room wasn't ready. Receptionist promised to call me when the room is ready but didn't. As they didn't call, I came back around 4pm. After another 15 min waiting in the queue, I got my room keys.

Status recognition was so-so (received a EUR 15 voucher for the restaurants and the bar).

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return? At the points rate I paid, I would return. Not sure if it's worth paying 55k points per night or the typical rate of EUR 250-350 per night, though.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Intercontinental Washington DC - The Wharf

King Deluxe. I was upgraded to a Superior King which is the IC equivalent of no upgrade at all.

How are the rooms?

Nice and modern. Large bathrooms with nice showers, plenty of space in the bedroom itself, desk area and sitting area too. The wifi works well, there are outlets next to the bed and a nice modern atmosphere.

How is the exec. lounge?

There isn't one

Good: The location is really nice. This Wharf area is a pleasant place to be with lots of restaurants and bars and it's away from the tourist traffic which makes it a nice place to stay. The hotel is also new and modern and lovely on the inside.

Bad: Lack of any meaningful upgrade. The bar is closed. Room service charged $8 for a 12 ounce bottle of Tropicana from concentrate that costs $1.79 at the gas station.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

I used my IHG free night here so that was a good value. I'd return.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 4:10 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

IC Düsseldorf

Booked a Classic Room (cheapest category) and was upgrade a day prior to my stay to a Junior Suite With Sofabed. The same upgrade as during my time as Royal Ambassador . The hotel currently only operated the 7th floor.

How are the rooms?
The Suites consists of a small living room with sofa and desk and a bed room divided by sliding doors with large bathroom and walk in closet. Contemporary styled.
I had to change room though, as the lights in the walk in closed did not work and the lights in the bedroom could not switched off. One of the control unites did not work properly (red error light). Had to change suites, which was done very professionally. Small downside, I had to dress again, as I discoverd it as I was going to sleeo (quite early at 08:30)

How is the exec. lounge?
Is closed. Guest with access get - as far as I remember - a daily f&b credit of 90 EUR.

Nice thing, the hotel was open and operational despite the lockdown in the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia. Reason for stay was verified during check in (letter of my office was added to my self declaration). Staff was professional. Facitlies were closed and I could not use most of the facilites and offerings like breakfast etc., as I had to be in my office at 04:30 in the morning and did not return to the hotel prior to 18:00. Breakfast is served as room-service. The in-room menu is available. Minibar is available and stocked. Used some of my food credit for the room menu, which was served quickly and tasted quite well. Declined housekeeping after the first night, but not after the second night. Bathroom amenities (by L'Occitane) were restocked, bed linen were not changed. I missed pad and pen (like in every other hotel, bot got a pen from the front desk)
Some problems with the invoice (git the wrong printout and had to return) but that was not a problem. Housekeeping is available, but you can decline it.

Good
  • hotel is operating (though only one floor)
  • nice upgrade
  • friendly staff
  • housekeeping available and rooms are served
Minus
  • Not working lights could have been discovered earlier (but in favour of the hotel I assume the switch malfunctioned later)
  • minor issue with invoice

Yes, with rates of 144 EUR during the week and 122 EUR during the weekend including breakfast, this was a good rate. I also have a credit for staying in an IC from my AmEx. Main reason was the proximity to my office in the current situation.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2020, 7:05 am

Regent Taipei

Deluxe Twin. Received the same. Asked and received 2pm check-out.

How are the rooms?

Large, clean, but a bit dated. Pretty nice view.

How is the exec. lounge?

No access.

+ The room is large and very clean.
+ Service is mostly excellent.
+ The rooftop pool is great.
- The breakfast buffet was like a zoo. Had to wait 15 minutes to enter despite having a pre-assigned time slot. Very crowded (~40cm with the adjacent tables) and the food was very mediocre (definitely not paying $35 for that).
- The entire hotel was just very crowded. People filled up the lobby to check in (no dedicated counter unless paying for Regent's own club rooms).
- IHG/Ambassador recognition mostly in-name only. Only received late check-out (had to ask) and extra breakfast (reward nights at Regent come with breakfast for two). As a reviewer pointed out, it's a Regent not an IHG hotel.

I used my Chase free night that's expiring in a week, so great value. The hotel is 10-minute from my apartment, so hopefully I don't return.
FLYGVA likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:26 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Fellow Flyertalker,

we would like to thank everybody for the contribution to this thread. As we are about to start a new year, we already have created a new thread for the experiences 2020. This new thread could be found here:

Please post your Ambassador Experiences 2021

The overview has list of the post of the previous year(s), which link to the posts of 2019 or newer. We are closing the this thread for now and unstick it.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.